You're Not Tacitcal, THIS Is Tactical

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It reminds me of when I was down range after a while and the new guys would show up. We had dumped all the useless junk that we were issued but they would still have every pouch imaginable and then some they bought personally. They didn't realize after 15 months you want a lighter load out not more gear.

Ok. I was working overseas.

We had a new guy come in with all new gear. He had to make sure everything matched and that he had the new CRYE camouflage. He made sure to tell us no less than a dozen times in the first 3 days that CRYE is the best and cost didn't matter. He said if he was missing any equipment it was because it wasn't the CRYE pattern. I mean his jacket was CRYE, his shirts were CRYE as were his shoes which to this day I have no idea where he found them but he did. He had a camouflage compact and the first night he was practicing his CRYE pattern on his face.

Now on to what he was wearing. He had a underbelt and attached to that was a MOLLE overbelt. To the overbelt he had several pistol magazine pouches, grenade pouches (we didn't even use hand grenades), canteens, two drop leg MOLLE panels, a couple of tourniquets and several AR mag puches hanging upside down to cover any visible MOLLE . On one of the drop legs he had his blow out kit and several AR mag pouches and on the other he had more mag pouches and his pistol in a CRYE holster. This gear alone was probably 20 pounds worth of gear.

On his plate carrier he had even more MOLLE to cover. He had two triple mag pouches side by side and then stacked three deep giving a total of 18 magazines. He had even more pistol magazine pouches on them and some more grenade pouches. He had a emergency strobe, several flashlights and admin pouches finished up the front. On the back he had a water bladder, more tourniquets, several radio pouches even though we only used one and sometimes two radios. And to finish out the back he had as many AR mag pouches as he could fit all hanging upside down. And then he had no less than a dozen morale patches butno patches indicating his blood type and his allergies which he did have. And when I asked about knowing his allergies and blood type if somethig happened he showed me his tattoo he got on his left side that had his full name, SSN, blood type and allergies. It was about 6 inches tall and just as wide.

And he carried a bag as well, which I did as well and recommend to anyone. He used it to carry more ammunition, food and water which is a good thing. But on the outside was more MOLLE that needed to be covered and he did with every type of pouch he could buy in CRYE as well as plenty more patches.

And finally he was issued a helmet. It was a solid brown color. And for the next three hours he made cutouts that matched the CRYE pattern then painted the helmet to match his warzone wardrobe. He would stick grass and shrubbery in the band that went around the helmet and replace it daily.

The absolutely funniest thing I have seen was his first day outside all dolled up. I laughed so hard because he looked like a tactical Stay Puft marshmellow man. He could barely move and if he fell over he would be like a turtle on its back. I told him that all that gear was going to get heavy and wear him out. He said he would never take any of it off because you never know when you might need it but as time went on pouches began to go missing. And by the end of the deployment he was down to the bare minimum but still making excuses as to why he needed all that gear.

Another funny thing he would do is he would act like a body guard around anyone with influence. This included the military even though we were civillians. He would move tactically anywhere he went, even to the chow hall across the street. I will never forget him because he made us laugh all the time with his antics.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

How many tourniquets did this guy need? Enough for everyone's arms and legs? Also where do you get Crye shoes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONDOR-Elite-8-Boot-YKK-Side-Zipper-Crye-MULTICAM-Camo-Hiker-Patrol-Boots-Sz-11-/190644940664?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2c6352ef78

He did wear boots so these were probably it.

As far as tourniquets you can't have enough but he did go a bit overboard. I carried 2 on my person and another 4-6 in my bag. I also carried feminine hygene products because they also worked for blood control. Although I never used them I was told tampons worked well for round penetrating wounds like gun shots.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I know they are lifesaving when you need them but it sounds like he had more of them than Crye products. I have always heard that as well. Wow those are really not as expensive as I thought they would be.

Edited by gjohnsoniv