Pulled over and did not disclose

• Moderators

You were addressing a police officer on a traffic stop with a loaded handgun IN YOUR HAND?

What I took away from his story is that he was suspicious of the alleged officer's identity as an actual officer and then when he called into the department, his suspicions were confirmed. Based upon the events as they were relayed, it is plausible that he was pulled over by an imposter.
Guest Lowbuster

He was no an officer I called local fort when I got home. They said they had no unmarked cars out. With no badge and only one blue light on dash I think I was about to loose a new dodge truck. He was not a cop. I don't know who he was. Sherrif dept said they don't have unmarked cars

Guest Lowbuster

What I took away from his story is that he was suspicious of the alleged officer's identity as an actual officer and then when he called into the department, his suspicions were confirmed. Based upon the events as they were relayed, it is plausible that he was pulled over by an imposter.

That wasn’t true 30 years ago; I don’t know why it would be true today with much more advanced technology. I could run a plate and get back info on the RO including their driver’s license info. It’s how we caught a lot of Suspended/Revoked drivers. Many times I would know the RO was Suspended/Revoked before I stopped the vehicle, I don’t know why today they wouldn’t get back HCP info.

When I was a Deputy down in Florida our dispatchers would run the tag we gave them and then immediately run the DL of the registered owner. They were fast enough at it that they would have all of that info before we even got out of our car.

After we got MDT in our cars we could do the same thing simply by clicking a button beside the registered owner's name.

Lowbuster; there was a similar incident in Rutherford County a few months ago. Bad situation. Had he really been a cop, he might have shot you. Had he been a bad guy you might have gotten raped, robbed and carjacked. One can buy a rotating blue light at many of the pharmacies and gift shops.

As to the original topic, if you show an officer your HCP then he knows you're not a bad guy. That's reason enough alone to show your HCP if you get stopped.

I picked up a copy of John Ross's [b[unintended Consequences[/b] back in the late 90's. The first half of the book does an incredible job of illustrating that insidiousness. It's still a great read, but I can't believe what they are selling this book for on Amazon!

$90+ used, $200+ new? Wow, where can I sell mine?

I can see some type of gun ban/ turn in type of confiscation attempted starting with firearmes like ARs and AK types and some will bend over from fear and surrender them with a chit load of marxist media hoopla but on a grand scale it will be unsuccessful.

Guest Lowbuster

Lowbuster; there was a similar incident in Rutherford County a few months ago. Bad situation. Had he really been a cop, he might have shot you. Had he been a bad guy you might have gotten raped, robbed and carjacked. One can buy a rotating blue light at many of the pharmacies and gift shops.

As to the original topic, if you show an officer your HCP then he knows you're not a bad guy. That's reason enough alone to show your HCP if you get stopped.

Guest Lowbuster

Billyscott I don't know how long you have had hcp but they were similar to liscense. But my dad was a deputy in another county. Not being blinded by spotlight,walking up in front of mirror, and asking why I had two drivers liscense I knew he was not a Leo. New ext cab truck I think I was going to get jacked. Maybe a Leo on this forum can let is all know what look for when being pulled over. I didn't think of getting raped I didn't need that image. Haha thanks and I hope I replied correctly.

If a permit lets the LEO know you're a good guy, why did the OP's friend get put in the back of a police car?

I don't see a reason to inform. I've been pulled over three times and have never informed. My HCP or whether I have a gun has never been mentioned. Maybe they "pop up" when they run your DL, but apparently, nobody pays attention. Maybe I'll get disarmed and put in the back of a car someday, but if I do, it will be after I unload my gun and hand it to the LEO.

Edited by deerslayer

DL/HCP info is not directly tied to your tag number. Yes you can run the tag though.

et the RO info, take that info and run a DL check. But it is a two step process. My guess on why it's not regulalry done is, even though the RO is usually the driver, they are not always the driver.

Your right as far as NCIC which is what most dispatchers run the Tag through but I often use TN Crime Portal which is the TN DOS website. It shows your DL photo and all info when I enter a tag. I do this because it shows if the R O is suspended or revoked. I often do both NCIC and the DOS with the DL. If systems are working, which is about 95% of the time now, I always find out if they have HCP.

Your right as far as NCIC which is what most dispatchers run the Tag through but I often use TN Crime Portal which is the TN DOS website. It shows your DL photo and all info when I enter a tag. I do this because it shows if the R O is suspended or revoked. I often do both NCIC and the DOS with the DL. If systems are working, which is about 95% of the time now, I always find out if they have HCP.

Ah ok. That was just getting started when I quit dispatching and we didn't have it while I was there...

There is no way for dispatchers to obtain tag or driver's license info via NCIC. NCIC is maintained by the FBI and is for the sharing of info between agencies such as persons wanted on a felony warrant, missing or endangered people, those with gang affiliations, stolen vehicles/guns/boats, etc. There are a total of 19 different files within NCIC and none of them are for finding out who owns a car or the status of their DL.

There is no way for dispatchers to obtain tag or driver's license info via NCIC. NCIC is maintained by the FBI and is for the sharing of info between agencies such as persons wanted on a felony warrant, missing or endangered people, those with gang affiliations, stolen vehicles/guns/boats, etc. There are a total of 19 different files within NCIC and none of them are for finding out who owns a car or the status of their DL.

I may not have been clear in my other post. When a dispatcher gets a tag and runs it on NCIC it comes up on a screen that gives the RO's name, address, date registered, expired and general vehicle info. When I run a plate on Tennessee's DOS website I get a picture of the RO, DL info, HCP info, address, their signatures over the years, their photos since 1995, and a few other things.

I often run them both ways. I would say 9.5 out of 10 HCP holders(that are drivers/RO's) I know about on a traffic stop. I would just assume they not tell me they have a HCP as I treat every vehicle as if it may have a weapon in it anyway. It's not the HCP holders I worry about anyway.

I may not have been clear in my other post. When a dispatcher gets a tag and runs it on NCIC it comes up on a screen that gives the RO's name, address, date registered, expired and general vehicle info. When I run a plate on Tennessee's DOS website I get a picture of the RO, DL info, HCP info, address, their signatures over the years, their photos since 1995, and a few other things.

I often run them both ways. I would say 9.5 out of 10 HCP holders(that are drivers/RO's) I know about on a traffic stop. I would just assume they not tell me they have a HCP as I treat every vehicle as if it may have a weapon in it anyway. It's not the HCP holders I worry about anyway.

I think what he is saying is that even though you do it on your computer that you use as your NCIC terminal, NCIC itself does not have the DL/Registration information. ...and that is correct NCIC would only have it if it stolen, the RQ and DQ files are maintained by the TBI and it is their database that is searched for that info.

I think what he is saying is that even though you do it on your computer that you use as your NCIC terminal, NCIC itself does not have the DL/Registration information. ...and that is correct NCIC would only have it if it stolen, the RQ and DQ files are maintained by the TBI and it is their database that is searched for that info.

Your right. I actually thought I edited that after I posted but this Forum format is terrible. NCIC is almost used as police jargin for running anything.

Your right. I actually thought I edited that after I posted but this Forum format is terrible. NCIC is almost used as police jargin for running anything.

Yep...one of my favorite signs was..."In God we trust...all others checked through NCIC." :)