Pulled over in Memphis with ar 15 and glock?

Guest JeremyD901

Here is the actually text of the law...

39-17-1351(t)

Any law enforcement officer of this state or of any county or municipality may, within the realm of the officer's lawful jurisdiction and when the officer is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties, disarm a permit holder at any time when the officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the permit holder, officer or other individual or individuals. The officer shall return the handgun to the permit holder before discharging the permit holder from the scene when the officer has determined that the permit holder is not a threat to the officer, to the permit holder, or other individual or individuals provided that the permit holder has not violated any provision of this section and provided the permit holder has not committed any other violation that results in the arrest of the permit holder.

http://www.lexisnexi...ttopics/tncode/

Fallguy ,thanks for the information I know that there were others who were not sure of the correct responce then the issue did arrive. I don't plan on breaking any laws to be pulled over for , but it is good to know so that there is less of a problem when stopped.

I've never had an officer disarm me during a stop, as I try to not give them a reason to feel it is needed. Many of them haven't handled weapons different than those they trained with.

There are several post on here where the HCP holder was disarmed without any obvious reason other than that were armed period.

Axe them what school they attended and you'll understand their poor use of English.

I hear you on that. The last test I took for a IT job with Metro actually had grammar questions, as in which of the following sentences is the most correct. Kinda threw me for a second...had to circle back around for those :)

• Like 1
Guest Skeeter

I was pulled over last night in Memphis, I showed the officer my license along with my permit. My hands stayed on the wheel he said where is the gun I said my right side in the console. About that time my passenger door was about ripped off the hinges and Another officer rushed in to get it. Let me add this is a brand new truck like 2 weeks old. I was irritated needless to say. Well I informed him there is a unloaded ar15 in the back he was like get out the truck. While opening the back gate he had my mag And handgun in his hand.... Not the chambered round so I informed him there was a round in the chamber then he unchambered it. Then he went on to tell me I was breaking the law by transporting the ar. I was like no sir there is no ammo in the truck. Long story short they called the sgt and found its not illegal. Very rude over acted not educated on the law and plain ol'rude! Bad experience!

So You in " a brand new truck " was stopped for Speeding ( you were Speeding Right?)

There were two MPD Uniform Officers and one ask you " Where is the Gun? ".

The other MPD Uniformed Officer Hears this and Ripped Open the passanger side door and took your Weapon .

Guess what He was concered for their Saftey not How New Your Truck Was.

You were inconvincened , They Put their Lives on the Line .

So You in " a brand new truck " was stopped for Speeding ( you were Speeding Right?)

The other MPD Uniformed Officer Hears this and Ripped Open the passanger side door and took your Weapon .

It's difficult to take someone serious when they capitalize random words.

• Like 2

It's difficult to take someone serious when they capitalize random words.

If we started disregarding posts for misspellings and atrocious grammar, then half the posts on here and probably 75% of the internet would need to disappear.

I'm guessing he's typing from a phone.

Speeding is not a captial offense.

There are many people that can legally carry a firearm and he had already displayed his HCP with his hands on the whell, not like it was life or death at that moment.

Officer safety does not trump every other concern on the face of the planet, they put their lives on the line by choice. There are many other less dangerous jobs.

Guest RichieRich

I've never had an officer disarm me during a stop, as I try to not give them a reason to feel it is needed. Many of them haven't handled weapons different than those they trained with.

I was disarmed while pulled over for speeding in Mason a couple months back. When the officer returned by S&W 442, it was still loaded, and he handed it to me with the muzzle pointed at his face. Better his face than mine, I guess, but clearly not material for a safety training video!

Speeding is not a captial offense.

There are many people that can legally carry a firearm and he had already displayed his HCP with his hands on the whell, not like it was life or death at that moment.

Officer safety does not trump every other concern on the face of the planet, they put their lives on the line by choice. There are many other less dangerous jobs.

Looks like the Field Training Officer was whipping open the passenger door and grabbing the gun while showing off for his following-the-book Rookie having a civilized transaction with the driver. Sounds like Memphis needs to retire some officers, or get them proper training, or keep them far away from the Rookies.

If we started disregarding posts for misspellings and atrocious grammar, then half the posts on here and probably 75% of the internet would need to disappear.

I'm guessing he's typing from a phone.

True. But as disturbed as I was by his rationale, I couldn't focus on much more than the random capital letters.

• Like 1
Guest Skeeter

True. But as disturbed as I was by his rationale, I couldn't focus on much more than the random capital letters.

My rationale is the officer that opened this Gentleman's door did not know he had a CCHP.

* try to stay focused :yum:

As to the it wasn't life or death at that moment Yours and Theirs were not on the scene :stunned:

Do all The Sheep on this Site baw the same note or can another also speak?

Edited by Skeeter

My rationale is the officer that opened this Gentleman's door did not know he had a CCHP.

* try to stay focused :yum:

As to the it wasn't life or death at that moment Yours and Theirs were not on the scene :stunned:

Do all The Sheep on this Site baw the same note or can another also speak?

Of course you can speak, but us sheep don't have to agree with your gospel. It's nothing personal, so don't sweat it. If you read enough on this site, you'll find that many of us disagree on any given topic, on a fairly regular basis.

This site brings us together as firearms owners/enthusiasts, but that hardly means we always agree with each other all of the time, or even most of the time. Heck, we can't even agree which caliber is superior, 9, 40, 45, etc.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest msparks

With everything already said.

If I were you, I would figure out how to change the code in your truck to NOT UNLOCK THE DOOR when you put it in part. This seems dangerous to me.

Guest Skeeter

Heck, we can't even agree which caliber is superior, 9, 40, 45, etc.

Thats an Easy One !

* the one you have on you.

Edited by Skeeter
Guest canebreaker

Post # 30. When the CCP was first introduced I lived in Memphis/Whitehaven. Back then, you had 1 gun, 1 permit. 2 guns, 2 permits and so on. The state changed things fast. The fastest change in anything for the state that I have ever seen.

There are FTOs in all the big cities, every state. We called them rent-a-cops in high school. Back then, the rockie officer would pay for his uniform and ride a duty watch for so many hours a month for $1.00. After his school training and so many hours, he could join the force. His hire in date would be the day he started as a rent-a-cop. The FTOs get a paycheck from day one.

Edited by canebreaker

Ok guys, we touched on something earlier that I am pretty curious about. The OP stated to the officer that he had a handgun and had handed him his HCP with his license right? The thing that grabs ME is the fact they came in his vehicle without consent. The guy is LEGALLY carrying and is being stopped for speeding. Does admission of legally carrying a firearm give them probable cause to search your vehicle?

Guest Grubbah

Ok guys, we touched on something earlier that I am pretty curious about. The OP stated to the officer that he had a handgun and had handed him his HCP with his license right? The thing that grabs ME is the fact they came in his vehicle without consent. The guy is LEGALLY carrying and is being stopped for speeding. Does admission of legally carrying a firearm give them probable cause to search your vehicle?

Officers can disarm you for the duration of the stop. He informed the officer where the handgun was and the officer retrieved it. The way he did it seemed a bit unprofessional but within the law as best as I can tell.

Well I don't think in this case his car was searched. As said above a LEO can take control of the firearm. But other than with your consent, probably cause or reasonable articulable suspicion a LEO shouldn't search your vehicle.

In Memphis you are lucky to have any government employee or politician pronounce 'ask' as 'ask' instead of 'acts'. Watch the news here for about a week and you will see what runs Memphis and will know what I'm talking about. It trickles down to what is on the street. So no I'm not surprised that you had an MPD pop the mag out but not clear the chamber and hassle you over your AR.

Actually this isn't the proper place, but maybe some westerns can get involved in this. Fox 13 out of Memphis report that the Governor was trying to stop a bill that would allow HCP holders to carry on any parking lot whether posted or not. Everyone here needs to email fox 13 and let them know how wrong they are about the parking lot bill

Actually this isn't the proper place, but maybe some westerns can get involved in this. Fox 13 out of Memphis report that the Governor was trying to stop a bill that would allow HCP holders to carry on any parking lot whether posted or not. Everyone here needs to email fox 13 and let them know how wrong they are about the parking lot bill

Well, Haslam was trying to stop the parking lot bill, however you'd like to define it. And with plenty of help, he did.

- OS

Jeremy, don't take this the wrong way - I promise I'm not being confrontational. Instead of asking online first, search for the answer. I'm not saying to be a legal beagle like Patrick Stegall, but I guarantee Google will give you your answer. The information is out there.

Google is the last place I'm going for legal advice especially regarding firearms Edited by tennessee01tacoma