Naming your gun

Sandman

Guest ochretoe

My old flintlock is Star, named for the silver star inlaid in the cheek piece. My .357 Marlin is Trapper, for trapper model. My sub2k is Ed, ed is the first two didgets in the serial #. My S&W 681 is Ranger, my first issue weapon as a Ranger. The rest are just guns, till they prove they deserve a name. Besides guns I also named my old Bronco and my old mustang.

My wife called my 1911 "Bells" the other day. The conversation went something like this:

Random Irritating Friend: Hey <Viracnis>, you coming to my St. Patty's Day party on Saturday?

Me: Will your other friends be there?

RIF: Of course!

Me: No.

Wife: He'll be there with Bells on!

The name suits her, so I let it slide.

I have yet to have a rifle named Vera, but I'm working on that. I seem to like to name my weapons after literary characters. I doubt if anybody here is familiar with the Black Company book series, but I've named my Ruger 1911 Croaker, from those books. Plus, it croaks people if you know what I mean. I've also named my Ruger Scout rifle after a sword from Tolkien's works, Gurthang, meaning Iron of Death. I figured it was an appropriate name for a rifle, or a golf club.

I've also named my Ruger Scout rifle after a sword from Tolkien's works, Gurthang, meaning Iron of Death.. . .

My carry weapon, a Springfield Armory EMP, is named Sting, after the small, beautiful, deadly, elvish-made sword that Bilbo gave Frodo in the Lord of the Rings.

I imagine it too gleams with blue light when orcs are near . . .

The rest of my weapons have not yet revealed their names to me.

My wife also names everything. Sigh. And she expects me to remember it all.

Lets see...

Harry. My 44 revolver. (this should be obvious).

Abraham, the 44 auto. (Its israli, see?)

marvin. Her marlin 30-30. (Marvin the marlin? Maybe she was thinking of marvin the martian. I dont ask).

Max. Inherited from my aunt max(ine) s&w 38 snubbie that everyone had at least 4 of in 1960.

Blackbeard. The AR(RRRRR), or evil BLACK rifle, see? They all make sense, sorta.

It just gets worse from here, I think I will stop now.

Guest swatcop50

"Gertrude" was named when I first got her new in 1969 when I started my First Police job. She has been( and still is ) in my car to this day! Would not think of hitting the street without my 27 inch Remington 870 12ga. . When I got it I was 19yrs. old and my Mom said " looks like something your Grandmother would have " Garndmother was named_______ Yea, Gertrude................ LOL

By the way, I have replaced one fireing pin and extractor and the rear stock with a pistol grip. That's all.............

Guest Broomhead

Angel is my 10/22 in a Promag Archangel 5.56 stock. Addy is my 10/22 in an ATI Fiberforce Strikeforce stock. Cherry is my HiPoint C9, my first gun. Odyssey is my EDC, a Kel-Tec P-11. The Destresser is my 870 Express Magnum 12ga.

Mostly these names are just identifiers in my gun collection software.

Custom built Ruger Blackhawk. Her name is Isabelle.

There was a young lady I loved dearly. Tragically, she was taken from me long before I was ready to let her go.

I miss her terribly, but I think fondly of her when I shoot. This pistol is now my memorial to her. I even had a holster made

with her name on it.

Isabelle.jpg