who knows what steel is good as a knife blade?

I picked up a knife from x manufacturer, its a better well recognized name but was curious about what steels are better without saying oh its made by so and so it must be good.

The blade is 154CM. Hows quality on a blade like that good, middle of the road, or not so good.

Its a folding pocket knife if it matters. I only ask because i tend to be very hard on my day to day tools

Edited by nightrunner
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most knife blades are either cold rolled carbon steel (like 1075/1095) or some 400-series grade of stainless steel.

the carbon steel can be heat treated to a very high (Rockwell) hardness and therefore make it very tough, strong and hold a good edge.

The stainless is used in a lot of kitchen knives and surgical devices; obviously for more corrosiion resistance, but also easy to sharpen.

Guest Scramasax

There are to many "good" blade steals to list here. For carbon steels good standards are 1095 and d2. Stainless steels any 440 or 3160 series. There are a lot of good steels available. The heat treat is the key.

Cheers,

ts

Guest Bowdenknxvll

Just about anything used in knives today can make a good blade. Like mentioned above it depends on the heat treat. I prefer carbon blades because they are easier to sharpen. My go to steel is 1095. It also depends on the type of knife and the grind. For example, O1 is a carbon steel and works real well with Scandi Grinds. As for 154, it is a really good stainless on par with ATS 34. It doesn't hold an edge like the more modern super steels but it is a very good stainless.

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/steels.htm

http://www.knifeart.com/steelfaqbyjo.html

It isn't as simple as the question you asked. It certainly depends on the heat treat, the steel manufacture's tolerances, and what properties you assign importance to in a knife blade. Most knives today, with the exception of ultra cheap Chinese and Pakistani junk, are made of pretty good steel.

• 2 weeks later...

I have several Spydercos and Kershaws with Chinese 8cr13mov steel, and I like it. Really easy to sharpen and holds its edge well for light duty tasks.

I can't see much diff in practical terms between 8CR13MOV, AUS8, 440C, and 420HC (at least Buck's version). All excellent all around steels.

The Sandvik steel varieties also seem in same general ballpark to me, but are generally regarded a bit higher, since you pay a price differential for it in knives that come with different steel options.

- OS

I like my carbon steel 1075 and 1095 blades, the best. But my Kershaw Clash in 8cr13mov is a damned fine blade for $22. I think just about every major knife maker uses very good steel, now-a-days. My liking the carbon steels is because they are easy to sharpen and easy to keep sharpened. A lot of people don't like the fact that they are hard to keep "shiny". Me, I don't care. I like a good patina on a knife. Tells me it working knife and well loved. My knives are like my guns. I got no safe queens. They are all used.

I like my carbon steel 1075 and 1095 blades, the best. But my Kershaw Clash in 8cr13mov is a damned fine blade for $22. I...

Well, there's a big diff in purpose and use for fixed blades, especially larger ones, than for folders. Main diff is simply that the average folder carrier does not want a pocketknife that tarnishes and/or rusts. And of course most all the stainless steels are more brittle than tool steel, will chip or snap long before tool steel under the type of duress to which large fixed blades are subjected.

- OS