Pocket Pistol Problems...PPP.

I didn't by a pocket pistol for plinking at the range. I bought it to get me out of a life and death situation. Why I suddenly got cheap is because..... I'm an idiot! If you want to go cheap, get a cheap range gun. Don't go cheap on a pocket pistol...be smart.

I'm just about fed up with my "little friend" the DB380 from Diamondback. The first pistol worked great for about 18 months and 200 rounds, until the trigger went all floppy and it would not break down for cleaning. I sent it back and two weeks later I got a brand new DB380. I shot it 36 times, had 12 light strikes and one failure to eject from battery...then the trigger went all floppy and it won't disassemble.

SON OF A .........!

Tomorrow I take it back to the gun store for them to send it back. I'm going to trade in my XDm-40 which I have only shot 150 rounds through (and have no use for) and get me a quality pocket gun. A Khar or a Sig. Diamondback has a lifetime warranty for the original owner. When it comes back I will try again to get it reliable.

Edited by Will Carry

Sorry to hear about your troubles. True words, though, about coughing up enough dough for a good carry gun. You can probably get away with skimping on most other areas (HD shotgun, paperpuncher rifle, trunk monkey) but that carry gun has to be 100% reliable.

While you're in this vulnerable state of disappointment and frustration, I have to suggest a J-frame or Ruger SP101 as a pocket gun that will never let you down. Hope you have better luck with whatever replacement you choose.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your struggles with Diamondback. My wife and I both have one, and have not had any significant issues. Mine didn't like Hornady Critical Defense, but runs fine on DPX. Like you, I don't shoot it a lot, but run a mag through each time I go to the range just to ensure reliability. Critical Defense runs fine in my wife's.

I am not a fan of .380, so I don't carry mine often. Just when I need something I can stick in a pocket (with a pocket holster) and go.

Hope they get it straightened out for you.

A pocket pistol is of no use to its owner if they have no confidence in its reliability of their own ability to use it effectively. One problem can be solved by a fully reliable pocket pistol, either by way of repair work or replacement. The other can only be solved through training and frequent practice.

I recently purchased a Ruger SR22 to use as a training and field gun. It has enough similarities to my LCP and Lc9 to make it very useful, not to mention its fun to shoot. From what I’ve been told the Ruger LCR 22 and LCR 38 complement one another very well in this manner as well.

Whatever route you choose to take pick something that you feel comfortable with. Look at as many different pistols or revolvers as you can find, rent or borrow those that are available. Once you’ve found the right pocket pistol for your needs then shoot it enough to be proficient with it.

Thanks for the feedback and good advice. The DB380 will shoot 2 inch groups at 7 yards and it's shoots remarkably well for such a light pistol, it's shame that it's been unrliable for me. I will think long and hard about what my needs are and what I expect out of a back up/pocket gun. I have a S&W model 36-1 J frame and a Ruger LC9, both are reliable. Maybe I don't need no stinkin' 380. I'll let you guys know how this saga turns out.

Guest kcb37

I have a Ruger LCP so far I have only had problems with ammo not fully ejecting.

That was America Eagle I believe. Shoots fine with Federal though. So far I have shot 250 or 300 rounds. Just problems with the American.

I am going to pickup a revolver though. I don't mind a pistol but I have more all around faith in a revolver then a pistol.

I have a PF-9 that was 100% reliable through 500+ rounds. I also have a sig 238 that i hope to carry in the very near future (after i run 200+ rounds through it to prove reliability). For fit and finish--the sig CANNOT be beat in a .380

These are pocket pistols--not primary in a perfect world...

Update from the O.P.: My DB380 is on it's way back to Florida for warranty repairs. I traded my XDm-40 today for a Sig P-238. The XDm-40 was a great pistol but a "Safe Queen". I have 45s and 9s but that was my only 40.

I had one .40, a K40 for several years, as I'm addicted to the 1911 .45 acp. in the process of finding a smaller carry pistol, I've acquired several .40 pistols and now carry one of them more often than a .45.

Edited by tnhawk
Guest RebelWithACause

I love my PF9....now. When I originally got it, it choked and FTE every three or four rounds. A call to KelTec fixed the issue. They sent a few new extractors at no charge and now it runs like a champ. (I'm willing to depend on it.)

Not sure if you're looking for recommendations but I have a Kahr CM9 and it's hands down the BEST pocket 9 I've ever shot. If you're nashville based I'd be willing to meet up and let ya plink a but with it.

I've had a couple of .380s, including a Sig230. I was never happy with the round and ultimately I ended up with a Colt Agent .38spl., which I've had for over 10 years now. It's 16oz (empty) and is very accurate and never has a problem with extraction. A good friend of mine was looking for a new pistol after getting her HCP. I steered her toward either a LCR .38spl or a S&W 442. After much research she purchased the LCR. Revolvers go bang every time. I've never had one fail on me and I've had quite a few. Can't say the same about .380 autos. They ain't sexy, but sexy ain't what I'm looking for in a small concealable pistol. I got a wife for that! ;)

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1
Guest mkstn

If you want something to stick in your pocket for a Just in Case why mess with an auto??? Get a good light weight wheel gun like S&W Airweight or Ruger LCR. Hell a .38 will do the job just fine. The fact is you will probably never use it and that's a good thing.

Guest Lowbuster

I will carry a trusted gun I buy cheap, but never a cheaply built gun. What is my or my families life worth? If I can't trust a gun its gone. I pocket carry jframe SW .38 special bodyguard. I'm sorry you had a bad experience,but for an extra $150 you can buy a good wheel gun. Remember pocket boogers will collect quick.

After a bad experience with a .380 pocket pistol, I decided a 442 was a better choice for me.

Same here. Catastrophic failures with ANY handgun will destroy one's confidence in it. I got rid of my P3AT a couple of years ago, bought a 442, and never looked back.