Shotshell for handguns

Guest djeep225

Guest djeep225

Anyone have any exp. with shot shell? came across a couple snakes while mowing and I do some back-country camping. I hate snakes. I have a ruger p94 9mm and was wondering if I could use that and would it cause any damage to my gun?. I would also like to know if glaser rounds are the same as shotshells? Any input would be helpful. John

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have heard that some wont cycle in semi autos. i know that shotshells wont hurt an XD, and i can imagine they would be fine in a glock too. dont think id try them in a 1911 though :D

pistol caliber shotshells spread VERY fast, not good for anything past about 5-7yards

edit: i see you are wanting to use your ruger P94, i would think not, at the very most it would harm the barrell only

Guest Verbal Kint
What kind of gun?
I have a ruger p94 9mm and was wondering if I could use that and would it cause any damage to my gun?

:D

I tried some once in a .38 on a snake, I had to get way to close to it to do any good with the small amount of small pellets that were in the shell! I would not recommend any one trying them for snakes.

I like my 12 ga shotgun for snakes, now that does the trick everytime!

Guest Boomhower
I tried some once in a .38 on a snake, I had to get way to close to it to do any good with the small amount of small pellets that were in the shell! I would not recommend any one trying them for snakes.

I like my 12 ga shotgun for snakes, now that does the trick everytime!

I would say that he's looking for something to shot out of a pistol that he can carry on him. May want to look into one of the below as well.

gun_buntline.jpg

nframes%26w627-thumb.jpg

or my personal favorite.....

DSC00169.jpg

Guest Grizzly Johnson

My granddad had a colt 22lr revolver that he, my uncle, my cousin and myself have shot many snakes with using the shot shells. I myself have killed many snakes from 5-6 feet away. I have shot squirrels and even a limit of doves trapped in a corn storage barn (honestly shot them on the fly) using shot shells!! A revolver works best, but to each his own. I would not continuously shoot shot shells through a "good" gun as the rifling may wear down.

My granddad had a colt 22lr revolver that he, my uncle, my cousin and myself have shot many snakes with using the shot shells. I myself have killed many snakes from 5-6 feet away.

To me 5-6 ft to kill a snake is way too close! I usually do not kill snakes anyway, unless they are crowding me and I can't get away from them...

I've tried them in a Glock 17 and it wouldn't cycle. I carried the first two or three shots in snake shot then the rest in HP's. I just had to manually rack the slide after shooting the snake shots. I still carry them in my Taurus snubbie when I go out into the woods or anywhere that snakes (or even mean dogs) may be a problem. They work great! :wave:

They do best in revolvers... since they will not cycle a semi-auto, but you can do so by hand.

Personally... If I've got to be within a few feet of a snake to hit it with that stuff, I may as well just use a JHP.

To me 5-6 ft to kill a snake is way too close! I usually do not kill snakes anyway, unless they are crowding me and I can't get away from them...

I'm with you. I'd rather let the snakes eat the mice and rats.

Guest Grizzly Johnson

Well snakes don't bother me. I have been known to pick up a few in my day posionous and non-posionous ones. I usually leave the non-posionous ones alone. It's those rattleheadcoppermoccasons Im talking about killing. My uncle drained a 200 acre swamp in west tennessee to build a duck hunting spot for a guy and they were killing cotton mouths as big as your arm and about 4-5 feet long!! The guys helping with the drainage ditch digging were all packing heat too!! It was funny to see a grown man carrying a pistol (357, 44 mag) to shoot a snake, they stopped counting dead snakes at 50.........

Guest jackdog

only snakes I try to clear from my property are rattle snakes, do to the dogs the rest I like having a round. I usually catch the rattle snakes and transplant them elsewhere, you know mail boxes and the like of people I don't care for. (kiddin about the mail boxes guys.)

Glasers are not the same as shotshells. Glasers don't seperate until the bullet actually hits something and fragments, shotshells start seperating when they leave the barrel.

Guest killemducks

Didn't we just go over the fact that it is illegal to kill snakes in TN?? Or was another forum.......? But as my late grandfather said, "The only good snake, is a dead snake."

Do as I say, not as I do!

killem

Guest offroader1994

I to have killed many of the serpents. I have also picked up my fair share of them. I have a friend who shot the shot shells in a ruger 22 he said they did not work very well. I am going to try a few through my s&w 22 to see how they do. was thinking of getting a cricket for the youngest daughter and trying them in it.

Guest themark712

I'd like to keep some shotshell around, but I don't want to use it in my semi-autos, and the only revolver I have is a .38 s&w. Does anybody know if shotshell exists for that caliber. If not, can you make your own via reloading?