Rob Pincus on subcompact 1911s

daddyo

Hmmm, well, granted, I've never been to that guys training class, but I've had Colt Defenders in 9mm and 45 and a Kimber Ultra Carry in 40. None ever malfunctioned as shown even after multiple range trips. I don't doubt the guy's familiarity, but I do discount blanket statements... every time.

Mac

• Like 1

Not sure what his point even is. Is he trying to blame the 1911 design? Or just saying the colt defender or whatever has problems? Its not the design, there are plenty of reliable 1911s out there (and most of the problems are caused by magazines anyway, from my limited experience). The design could be better in several ways, but it is not a poor design nor prone to jams if properly implemented by the manufacturer. Its not the size of the gun, my p238 has not jammed once after break-in period. Whatever the problem is, those 2 things are not the cause of it, which leads back to 'what was his point'???

His point is, the same as my experience and Clint Smith's advice when I was at Thunder Ranch a few years ago is that the Cycle time on the Micro, mini, Sub compact whatever that you would like to call them is too short to cycle properly. The shortest length that is well tested and has always worked on my 1911's regardless of brands is the Commander length slide 4.25

your Mileage may vary

Edited by willis68

Not sure what his point even is. Is he trying to blame the 1911 design? Or just saying the colt defender or whatever has problems? Its not the design, there are plenty of reliable 1911s out there (and most of the problems are caused by magazines anyway, from my limited experience). The design could be better in several ways, but it is not a poor design nor prone to jams if properly implemented by the manufacturer. Its not the size of the gun, my p238 has not jammed once after break-in period. Whatever the problem is, those 2 things are not the cause of it, which leads back to 'what was his point'???

I believe his point is that the 1911 design was not intended to shrink down to a subcompact size, hence the reported failures. He's not blaming the original design of the 1911 platform.

I don't recall him addressing any other subcompact design other than the subcompact 1911.

I would say that if you have one that runs well, you are fortunate.

I owned a Colt Officer's Model 45 ACP for a few years, bought it when they first came out in the mid 1980's. In retrospect I should have kept it but since I also had a Combat Commander (later stolen) and a couple of other 1911's I let it go. My then reasoning was I didn't like the weight and the recoil, HA! It was a good pistol that grouped well and feed the cast bullets and hollow points I ran through it. I guess what I'm trying to say in a long winded way is the concept and application worked just fine, but FWIW it was a better set up with a Commender slide on it.

I believe his point is that the 1911 design was not intended to shrink down to a subcompact size, hence the reported failures. He's not blaming the original design of the 1911 platform.

I don't recall him addressing any other subcompact design other than the subcompact 1911.

I would say that if you have one that runs well, you are fortunate.

Eh. Well, I half agree. I am not too sure about keeping it in 45 AND trying to make a pocket pistol out of it at the same time. Cutting the caliber down and scaling the design seems to work well enough.

The Officer size 1911 is close to the size of a G19. Not exactly a pocket pistol. You can find plenty of folks out there that have very reliable subcompact 1911's in .45.

The industry needs to define subcompact, compact better. I don't see calling a 7 inch long pistol "subcompact". If a 1911 officer's is a subcompact, then my desert eagle is just a standard, regular sized pistol.

The colt defender is almost the same size, like 1/4 shorter than officers?

Anyway, I can't see trying to make a 6 inch 1911 true subcompact that works terribly well in 45 :)

Edited by Jonnin

The industry needs to define subcompact, compact better. I don't see calling a 7 inch long pistol "subcompact". If a 1911 officer's is a subcompact, then my desert eagle is just a standard, regular sized pistol.

The colt defender is almost the same size, like 1/4 shorter than officers?

Anyway, I can't see trying to make a 6 inch 1911 true subcompact that works terribly well in 45 :)

AFIK, the original Officer had a 3 1/2" barrel. There are others that have a 3" Barrel. Mine is a 3 1/2. I LOVE the size of the gun.

I CAN see it working. Why?... because a lot of people already have.

not sure who the fella is in the video but I think its in poor judgement to

bash one entire genre of guns.....or bash anything the way he did for that matter

Unprofessional.......

How is making an observation based on your experience being unprofessional?

My take on his comments is that some perfectly awesome guns are great for SD or the range, but not suited for a combat class. Also, the guy could've bought the gun the day before the class and thought it would run perfectly without breaking it in since he paid $1200 for it.

• Like 1