Ammo for a .45 full size 1911

Guest USMC 2013

Guest eloist

I shoot Winchester white box FMJ at the range.

"Sometimes" I buy that Tula stuff, but it smokes too much for my liking.

For EDC, I use Remington JHP.

Simple, cheap, effective.

I tend to not over think my ammo in my 1911.

45 acp is reliable no matter what the grain or style.

Guest nowheretobefound

Joe,

One important thing to remember if you go on a journey for a favorite round is the design of the magazines you have. I've helped more people over the years with their FTF problems by simply educating them about feed lip designs, many did not even know there were different designs being produced.

Do a search something like "types of .45 magazine designs" and you'll find plenty of help if you need it.

Guest kingarmory

I use S&B 230gr ball for practice and usually 230gr Hydra-Shoks for carry. Whatever you carry, make sure it cycles through the gun reliably

Have shot tula (it only seems to work good in our xd) but usually only use the white box winchester 230's from walmart, it's usually only $17/box. Keep some 45 supers on hand but only shoot a few every couple of months or so just to practice with the extra recoil.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Guest bkelm18

I use S&B 230gr ball for practice and usually 230gr Hydra-Shoks for carry. Whatever you carry, make sure it cycles through the gun reliably

I didn't think anyone still actually carried Hydra-Shoks.

Guest Plainsman

I didn't think anyone still actually carried Hydra-Shoks.

I like them....hard to find in the 230grn variety, but I like them.

Guest bkelm18

I like them....hard to find in the 230grn variety, but I like them.

I guess. I always lumped them in with those super tactical junk ammo that cost like $15 for 6 of them. I forget the name of them. Anyway, they filled a need that really didn't need filling, and have long since been surpassed by better ammo. But if you're comfortable with them, go for it. They seem to have a following.

Keep some 45 supers on hand but only shoot a few every couple of months or so just to practice with the extra recoil.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Wooooaah. Not out of a 1911. The .45 Super stands a good chance or damaging the gun and shooter. There's only 2 .45 auto pistols from factory that can eat those and be considered safe. The XD45 and HK45. Most production .45 pistols don't have a fully supported chamber and stand a good chance of going kaboom from the added pressure of the Super.

Edited by DevJames

Wooooaah. Not out of a 1911. The .45 Super stands a good chance or damaging the gun and shooter. There's only 2 .45 auto pistols from factory that can eat those and be considered safe. The XD45 and HK45. Most production .45 pistols don't have a fully supported chamber and stand a good chance of going kaboom from the added pressure of the Super.

Not sure about the HK45 but I know the USP can handle them. You may be right but I haven't seen that about the HK45 yet.

we use them in the xd, sorry should've specified.. figured everyone would know what their gun would handle. With a few minor upgrades he *could* use them

I've only had a 1911 for a couple of months, but have reloaded dozens of batches with 7 different bullets in that time. So far, the only thing that doesn't work well are 185 gr SWC. All of the RN bullets whether bought or reloaded have cycled perfectly, but the 230 gr fmj are the most accurate. I'm considering Winchester Supreme Elite 230 gr JHP for defensive ammo. It doesn't seem to have any separation or failure to expand issues, from what I've been reading.

Guest nowheretobefound

For SWC bullets you could try older Chip McCormick mags the ones with semi-straight feed lips or (and what most use) 7 round Colt mags tapered lips with dimple at the release point.

Edited by nowheretobefound
For SWC bullets you could try older Chip McCormick mags the ones with semi-straight feed lips or (and what most use) 7 round Colt mags tapered lips with dimple at the release point.

I just got a CMC mag Friday, haven't tried it yet.

The problem I was having was mostly with Berry's 185 gr SWC. They jam up into the barrell/slide hood unless I make the OAL too long for the amount of bearing surface they have.

Guest nowheretobefound

Remember the lead semi-wadcutter is the mainstay for bullseye shooting with the 200gr being the most accurate bullet for target accuracy. If your 1911 is a true mil-spec it's feed ramp is designed for 230gr ball ammo. Most modern 1911's have a "throated" feed ramp and barrel, to expand the driveway to handle other types of bullets. So if you are having trouble with SWCs it will always come down to the feed ramp and/or magazine combination. There are a couple of the major mag makers that make SWC lip designed magazines, I'll try and remember of you can probablly search it.

Guest nowheretobefound

What is the best magazine for 230gr fmj. MSG Jano.

First keep in mind you have to know the type of your feed ramp(s) but in general the Colt hybrid (which is what they have been using for years now) and the Springfield OEM magazines (which again are what they have been using for years) are the most reliable because of the lip design ensures the proper amount of dip for a smooth ride into battery. Both Springfield and Colt magazines are made by Checkmate.

Remember marketing hoopla is present in the firearms industry like all others. Magazines such as Wilson (47D), Para-Ordnance and other "higher priced" magazines are really another sort of hybrid. They literally loose control of the round before it goes into battery. This prevents many of the three point jams that occur when the type of bullet, magazine and ramp design do not coincide with each other. This type of magazine will function pretty well with a variety of bullets and 1911's that are out-of-spec guns from the original true design but jams occur, they are looking for percentages, which for me is not good enough.

For FMJ, 230 ball you cannot go better than the Colt or Springfield. My 30 some magazines are about 70% Springfield, 30% Colt. All the other brand magazines I've been given to test or purchased for some reason have all been given away.