Walking Horse Abuse

As I stated before, if it has anything to do with animals as entertainment, there's a good chance it should be banned. This is especially true for horse racing, dog racing, walking horses, zoos, circuses, Sea World, circuses, etc. And while we're at it, we need to implement ultra-strict rules for the breeding of animals, especially cats and dogs.

Little pisses me off more than the abuse of animals, including keeping them in captivity for our own selfish entertainment.

In the end, this is only my opinion, and I wouldn't expect much to change because of it.

• Like 1

Again, I'm no expert, but I can't help but wonder why there are a million horse stables/farms in and around the Shelbyville area if there's no money in it? Is it little more than a status symbol?

There are quote a few, I agree. However, most of them I have seen look rundown/unkept with little sign of "money".

Guest bkelm18

As I stated before, if it has anything to do with animals as entertainment, there's a good chance it should be banned. This is especially true for horse racing, dog racing, walking horses, zoos, circuses, Sea World, circuses, etc. And while we're at it, we need to implement ultra-strict rules for the breeding of animals, especially cats and dogs.

Little pisses me off more than the abuse of animals, including keeping them in captivity for our own selfish entertainment.

In the end, this is only my opinion, and I wouldn't expect much to change because of it.

I'm sorry but the great majority of zoos exist for more than simply your entertainment. In fact if it weren't for zoos, a great many species would've long since been extinct. Any accredited zoo takes part in species survival plans that ensures the survival of endangered species while maintaining genetic diversity. Saying a zoo should be banned because they house animals is simply ignorant, I'm sorry. Without them, this world would be a lot smaller. The Knoxville zoo for example has many of these survival plans in place. In fact it is the number two breeder of red pandas in the entire world. No doubt saving them from extinction. They were the first in the world to breed a critically endangered species of turtle. A species of turtle that no other institution in the world have been successfully able to breed. I will agree that there are some zoos that keep their animals in poor condition and do exist simply for entertainment. However any AZA accredited zoo in this country exists for the betterment of endangered animals that frankly were endangered because of human activity. I worked at a zoo. I know what goes on and why they exist. :)

Edited by bkelm18

Do you have a pet?

Domesticated and wild animals are 2 different things.

I will not support our zoo for the simple fact that they do not keep these animals in enclosures that mimics a more natural setting for the animals.. I do not think that a gravel lot is suffient for giraffes or elephants.. but that is not teh issue at hand.

and those beauty pageants that you speak of? do you really enjoy those baby`s and kids looking like 8 year old hookers?

Guest bkelm18

I will not support our zoo for the simple fact that they do not keep these animals in enclosures that mimics a more natural setting for the animals.. I do not think that a gravel lot is suffient for giraffes or elephants.. but that is not teh issue at hand.

And without support they can't afford to improve the exhibits. It's a two way street. :) Knoxville Zoo has had a shaky past but have made tremendous improvements since gaining AZA accredidation. However, they are just a non-profit that depend mostly on visitors for funding. I can tell you without a doubt in my mind, that the keepers there care 100% about those animals and would do anything they could to improve their lives, and they do, but money is a limiting factor, as always. It easily costs in excess of a million dollars to renovate an existing large exhibit and much more to build one from the ground up. It's not that they like keeping their animals in what you would call "substandard" exhibits, it's just they don't have the choice. I know keepers that have paid money out of their pocket for new items or enrichment activities for their animals.

Edited by bkelm18

and those beauty pageants that you speak of? do you really enjoy those baby`s and kids looking like 8 year old hookers?

I don't care anything about a beauty pageant, even the adult ones. However, I am not going to go ranting and raving over something just because I don't agree with it or get enjoyment out of it. I was really just joking about the beauty pageants. You can try to ban them if you want; I am sure there will be someone to come along shortly in support of them.

Obviously, I do not expect you to understand my position on the matter. I just wanted to offer my first hand experience in the industry to say that there are plenty of good people who have made walking horses their livelihood, and I do not believe in trying to shut down a man's business just because there are a few bad apples also in the industry. It is really not that different from the hobby that brings us all to this forum to start with; we all enjoy our guns and we don't want them taken from us because of a few irresponsible idiots.

I remember the Knoxville Zoo in the bad old days and it is leaps and bounds better than it was then. I'm not going to go out on a limb and say all pageants and shows should be banned. However I think the mindset in some arena's definitely needs to change. If that can not be changed and policed up, then and only then, it should be banned. Obviously, I think the TWH needs to change and quickly. This what, the third or fourth or 100th time this same crap has come up and they still haven't changed anything. Maybe it's time for TWH shows to get the death penalty.

Zoo's I support, because they do a lot of things for the animal populations in the wild. I do not support the circus and my kids have never been to one and as long as they live in the house, they won't. I do not support rodeos for the same reasons. Actually, though if I were to go to a rodeo, I would cheer for the bulls! Same for bull fights. However, I have hunted in the past and do enjoy that as well as fishing. I also own dogs, cats, a rabbit and fish and I enjoy them. They provide good companionship and entertainment.... does anyone want a rabbit?

Been to the zoo lately? We were there yesterday, didn't see any gravel lots.