ArmaLite AR50A1... any good?

JohnC

So I've been kicking around the idea of finally getting a 50 BMG rifle.

Of course I'm not rich and can't afford a Barret, but I came across the ArmaLite AR50A1 and they seem more reasonably priced.

I'd just like to know if anyone here has got to look at one, handled it and/or shot one?

Accurate? Build quality good? Feel good or clunky/uncomfy to shoot? Etc?

http://www.armalite....1f-d045b91324c3

The goal here would be to maybe get out to some really long ranges once or twice a year and try 1,000 yards or more.

I know some folks here will think a gun like this is a complete waste of money and too expensive to shoot. But it has been a goal of mine for years to own a 50 BMG rifle for extreme long range precision shooting. So no need for anyone to try talking me out of it. :up:

Plus, I've already got approval from the wife to buy one. :hyper:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one years ago. A friend of mine had a Barrett, side by side the Armalite is a better rifle hands down. It is what a 50 is suppose to be IMO. Bigger, heaver, less coin and just plain bad a##. They are expensive to own, everything about them is expensive. I do not regret selling mine, I do miss it from time to time.

You will love it.

Sorry I can't offer any information or judgements on the Armalite for you; but would like to congratulate you on such an agreeable and understanding wife. :cool:

I'll second that!

I chose wisely! :cool:

Seriously, I just happened to luck up! :love:

I had one years ago. A friend of mine had a Barrett, side by side the Armalite is a better rifle hands down. It is what a 50 is suppose to be IMO. Bigger, heaver, less coin and just plain bad a##. They are expensive to own, everything about them is expensive. I do not regret selling mine, I do miss it from time to time.

You will love it.

You're getting me excited! :hyper:

What scope did you use on it? What was the max yards you shot it at?

Not to rain on your parade but I personally don't see the 50 as being all that "precise" at long range. Yes it can reach that far but it's really designed for hitting vehicles and such. If you wanted something that has more reach and accuracy you would be better looking at a .408 Cheytac or .416. That's just my .02 cents.

(On another note I am quite jealous. :lol: )

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Not to rain on your parade but I personally don't see the 50 as being all that "precise" at long range. Yes it can reach that far but it's really designed for hitting vehicles and such. If you wanted something that has more reach and accuracy you would be better looking at a .408 Cheytac or .416. That's just my .02 cents.

(On another note I am quite jealous. :lol: )

I zeroed my 50 at 100yrds 1" groups faily easy, then 200yrds (longest I shot saturday) 3" +/- groups again fairly easy, just shooting remanufacted fmj rounds ($2.14per round), nothing match grade..BTW the .416 round is $6.00+ ea round :stunned:

Now if I wanted to be a little more precise I'd use this .308, it's killed more deer than I can count, longest kill shot was 650yrds.

2012-02-01_15-36-41_661.jpg

Edited by Johnny Rotten
Guest Ceolas

Keep an eye out, I would expect some different calibers from Barrett on the 98B bolt action soon.

338 Lapua is way too expensive for hobby use, and I know Barrett have been working on making them more accessible to hunters and sport shooters.

Edited by dwwaldron

Keep an eye out, I would expect some different calibers from Barrett on the 98B bolt action soon.

338 Lapua is way too expensive for hobby use, and I know Barrett have been working on making them more accessible to hunters and sport shooters.

Why is 338 Lapua ammo so high?

How does that compare to the McMillan stocks? Do you know?

Don't know, I looked at those as well (4-5yrs ago), I like the pistol grip and it adjustable in about every direction, only think I hated about it was the lower channel, I made a custom rail to attach my atlas bipod..

Don't know, I looked at those as well (4-5yrs ago), I like the pistol grip and it adjustable in about every direction, only think I hated about it was the lower channel, I made a custom rail to attach my atlas bipod..

I see. A while back I was looking at those for a Remmy 700 but they were a little expensive for my budget.
Guest Ceolas

Why is 338 Lapua ammo so high?

The round is semi-new and there aren't many people making the brass. The brass is low run quantity and high quality right now. The brass alone will run $1 each or more.

The round also takes a lot more powder than most comparable calibers.

Most of the bullets are match bullets made for distance and accuracy. Match is always going to be more expensive than soft points.

I owned an Armalite AR50. I loved it. It was built like tank and fun to shoot. It makes you feel really manly. The explosion of the round going off and the ported gasses blowing back against you are like no other gun you will shoot. It is an expensive gun to shoot though. I sold mine because it seemed like a waste to only shoot it at a hundred yards. I didn't have a lot of time to shoot or access to a long range.

If you are serious about getting a fifty, check out fcsa.org. Fifty caliber shooting association. It is a great organization and worth joining. The members are great at helping and sharing knowledge.

I owned an Armalite AR50. I loved it. It was built like tank and fun to shoot. It makes you feel really manly. The explosion of the round going off and the ported gasses blowing back against you are like no other gun you will shoot. It is an expensive gun to shoot though. I sold mine because it seemed like a waste to only shoot it at a hundred yards. I didn't have a lot of time to shoot or access to a long range.

If you are serious about getting a fifty, check out fcsa.org. Fifty caliber shooting association. It is a great organization and worth joining. The members are great at helping and sharing knowledge.

Thanks fro the link.

Yes, we're serious about getting it.

Problem is, everyone is out of stock except a couple places that want too much for it (guess that's why they are the only shops that have it in stock).

I've found it new at a reputable dealer in the $2,600 range but it is not in stock. I've got my name in and they should contact me as soon as they get more.

FWIW... Even ArmaLite's website lists the AR50 as out of stock: http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=50A1B&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=0406c9ff-539d-4b4c-ae1f-d045b91324c3

And from what I've read, they only make them in small batches.

Take your time, they pop up for sale locally from time to time. I have seen them for sale at local gunshows over the years. There was on on GOC around Christmas for 2200. There was one for sale on TGO a couple of years back. Post a WTB ad on here and GOC you may flush one out of the bushes.