Ammo Storage in Ammo Cans

I have just recently purchased my first Ammo Can (Used military can from Cheaper Than Dirt) and I have started to "stockpile" ammo. I am starting with 9mm, then once I have a can full, I will buy another and start with another caliber.

So my question is, What do you guys do....Store the ammo in the can loose or leave it in the box?

Storing the ammo in the can "loose" will allow more room in the can for more ammo...correct?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I leave it in the box. If you do not want to carry the ammo box you can easily get what you want out of the ammo box. I have not yet had the problem with not enough room in a ammo box but I do use several boxes.

You can probably store more in the can if it is stacked. But no one (especially me) does that, if it it isn't in boxes.

Bags are fine, but take space. I generally stack the boxes and then pour in the loose stuff.

Guest abailey362

I keep in boxes. Much easier than trying to stack. I can get 500 rds of 7.62x39 in boxes in the 200rd 5.56 cans that are the most common size.

Tried stacking it in and got frustrated.

Only way I'd put it in without boxes would probably be on stripper clips so it's easier to organize.

Guest gcrookston

If you were to sort through my cans you'd find much of it in the original boxes, a lot of it loose and a bit of it linked and some of it bagged. just depends on how it originally came.

I keep two cans of the most common calibres I shoot (one for rifle, one for pistol), for ready loading into my car for range trips. Rifle: .308, 7.62x39, 5.56, Pistol: 9mm, .22 and .45acp.

Guest atomemphis

i'm having trouble seeing the point of keeping WWB in its white box. Their boxes of 100 45acp positions the bullets in rows of two, with lots of extra room. Their boxes of 50 are nice and compact compared to others.

Since there is box size discrepancy, I like to remove the boxes.

Also, fitting more in and I feel like a desiccant works better without cardboard in the can.

I've stored my shotshells this way for awhile, and am beginning to stockpile 45 ammo, then 9mm, ha - backwards from the OP's plan it seems.

Guest offroader1994

I am in the process of stock piling 7.62x39 and 9mm a little of each every month you know 300 - 400 rds a month the 9mm i put in the plastic reloader boxxes they have 50 and 100 rd boxxes. the 7.62 gets loaded in the stripper clips for the quick load when the fecal matter hits the oscilating air circulator.

the 7.62 gets loaded in the stripper clips for the quick load when the fecal matter hits the oscilating air circulator.

DUDE!Thats the funniest durn thing Ive heard in all of an hour :D

That would make a great sig...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd dump them out into ziplock bags, keep the top panel from the box for reference so you got the lot number and what not.

Other advice: Get yourself some of the black-board spray paint or roll-on stuff. Pick a surface or two and hit the can with it.. use chalk to mark what you've got where and counts .

It gets rather annoying when you've got a dozen cans and you don't have a clue what is where...

• 2 weeks later...
I'd dump them out into ziplock bags, keep the top panel from the box for reference so you got the lot number and what not.

Other advice: Get yourself some of the black-board spray paint or roll-on stuff. Pick a surface or two and hit the can with it.. use chalk to mark what you've got where and counts .

It gets rather annoying when you've got a dozen cans and you don't have a clue what is where...

I just put masking tape on the top or sides of the ammo can and write on it with a sharpie :)

my wife tells me that I have too many heavy ammo cans.. :)

I keep getting them when I buy ammo in bulk..sometimes I can manage to fill one up, when I do I tape it, mark it and put it in storage.

the dessicant is an awesome idea, even if you do have it in a control environment