AR Stock Questions

wcsc12

So I'm still in the process of building my AR-15 (PSA is OOS on a bunch of components I need for the upper) and I'm starting to get finicky about the stock now.

I'm originally looking at Magpul MOE, CTR, and STR. I honestly can't choose between them. Are there any others I should definitely look into buying. I got the CTR currently (not installed just hanging out in the box) but I'm still on the fence.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the rifle. Definately the CTR over the MOE. The friction lock and QD swivels are worth it. My MOE stock is a little floppy compared to my CTR. I have an ACS as well. Great stock, but bigger and heavier than the CTR. Weight matters to me.

Guest nysos

definitely not the moe, ctr or str just depend on personal preference. The str is similar to the lmt sopmod which is very popular and appears to be a good stock as well.

I have a MOE stock on my CQB rifle and it is pretty decent I guess, I use an ASP sling mount thou so the MOE not having QD mount wasnt a factor and while there is a little bit of play, there really isnt any more slop in the one I have than most other non-friction locked adjustable stocks

I have a MOE stock on my CQB rifle and it is pretty decent I guess, I use an ASP sling mount thou so the MOE not having QD mount wasnt a factor and while there is a little bit of play, there really isnt any more slop in the one I have than most other non-friction locked adjustable stocks

Yep. The MOE is fine. I don't plan to ugrade it. If buying new though, I'll pop for the CTR because I like the friction lock. I never really noticed the slop in the MOE until I had both.

I'm using the VLTOR stock and like it. I have also used the Command Arms CBS stock. Rock solid and it works. Although it's new, I like a lot of the Mission First Tactical stocks. I have some of their stuff on the AK and was pleasantly surprised by the quality and design. I like the Magpul CTR (MOE) and have had several but everyone and their mother has one as well ;). The Magpul UBR is an awesome stock with and equally impressive price tag.

I've got them all and I really like the Magpul STR stock. It has the same cheekweld as the LMT SOPMOD but it locks up tighter, has easier to access storage, and also allows the thicker recoil pad, which I find more comfortable, and in a test that tests the strengths (against breakage) of most of the available adjustable stocks, the STR was near the top of the list.

Edited by PolePosition

I've got them all and I really like the Magpul STR stock. It has the same cheekweld as the LMT SOPMOD but it locks up tighter, has easier to access storage, and also allows the thicker recoil pad, which I find more comfortable, and in a test that tests the strengths (against breakage) of most of the available adjustable stocks, the STR was near the top of the list.

That one's fairly new. It's kind of a hybrid between the CTR and the ACS.

Ace M4 Socom is my favorite, its really really sturdy. I have seen the CTR break when bumped against the ground trapping a guys finger in it on youtube, the top MagPul guy replaced his stock but told him if he wants a stock that can handle abuse to get the UBR which I also have and enjoy.

So I kinda forgot I started this topic until just now :D

Well gents, thanks for the suggestions. I'm going with the Magpul STR. Turns out it's only $10 more expensive than the CTR and is super comfy. Now the CTR has to go to recoup the costs of the STR :D

I vote for the pink "Hello Kitty" one. Then post some pics.

That's my backup...I was hoping that Magpul would send me some Hello Kitty stickers but they laughed and just said "No" :(

Edited by wcsc12