Walmart selling Colt AR's

American based company publicly traded on New York Stock Exchange, American employees selling American made guns to Americans.

Really is quite distasteful.

- OS

I'm with you, I really don't know why everyone bashes walmart. I've never worked for them but you can't beat the prices and the one stop shopping. I know alot of people that hate going to walmart because of the people but I usually open carry there so people tend to get out of my way pretty quickly. I don't know why either.

But on topic, I think it's awesome you can find a Colt at WalMart. I know I was tempted to buy it just because....and I already have too many AR's. The $1087 (price here in Memphis) isn't as great as the $950 they were going for a couple months ago but it isn't too shabby considering you can walk out the door with it.

Correction. The manager walks with you to the door and then hands your gun to you as you exit the building. lol :)

Edited by JohnC

One reason I like real gun stores. They let you carry your own gun.

I'll let them carry it out to save 10%. I do try to buy from small stores but I will not pay a premium to do it either.

Like buying online. I give local shops the chance at my business and most get an attitude for asking if they will match. There are local shops, Mike's, that can an do regularly beat online sellers. Two of the last three guns came from Mike's and the third was bought online because he couldn't get a Cricket pistol.

Dolomite

Guest bulluck533

For one i would rather support a local business not some big corporation. Plus I can get it for the same price at a local store.

But if you wanna support them and lose all the small gun stores go for it.

I am all in favor of supporting the LGS, even to the point of paying a little more. But, if the LGS is are charging too much more than Wally World, then the empire will likely get my cash... Now, if only the local Wally World would carry the M&P 15 Sport. :drool:

Guest bkelm18

American based company publicly traded on New York Stock Exchange, American employees selling American made guns to Americans.

- OS

But they are the ultimate American success story. That makes them evil.

Guest motonut

- OS

My issue with WalMart was their big push several years ago (may still do it, I don't know) to get their suppliers to move off-shore. Many years ago when Sam was in charge they touted "American Made" products. Then they were claiming American Made but preassuring the suppliers to move to China. Now they don't bother with the American Made. WM has a very big opperation in China to work with their now foreign production suppliers. I know other retailers sell Chineese made goods but WM is a very big reason why so many products are no longer made in this country.

Does that stop me from buying from WM? No. I buy most of my ammo there (US made though) but it's not the first place I shop.

Walmart was only doing what its customers wanted. Customers wanted cheaper prices so Walmart did what it had to do to keep those customers.

It is the same as EVERY other person or corporation that sells something, getting their customers what they want. If Colt were to receive enough requests for Chinese made guns and the US made gun sales were way down they would have Chinese made weapons for sale rather than go out of business. And I bet any company faced with the same choice, fill customer requests or go out of business, would do the same.

If you want Walmart to sell US made products demand it and quit buying Chinese or any other foreign product. Walmart will take notice of the trend and start selling US made products. Unfortunately there are more Americans wanting cheap prices than those wanting American products.

Dolomite

Guest motonut

We will agree to disagree.

I don't think anyone was walking in to WM telling them they wanted it cheaper when it was made here. WM was agressively pushing their suppliers overseas, they have done it for years.

Guest bkelm18

We will agree to disagree.

I don't think anyone was walking in to WM telling them they wanted it cheaper when it was made here. WM was agressively pushing their suppliers overseas, they have done it for years.

If you can deliver a product cheaper than your competitors, customers will come to you. That business model is as old as the dinosaurs. Walmart knew that and embraced it. People want cheap stuff and Walmart gives it to them. Pretty simple.

The Wallys around here haven't taken part in this selection yet, at least not the ones I frequent. Still the same 'ol boring selections. I did see 1 AR platform rifle about a week ago, but it was a .22lr not the 5.56

chattanooga stores are behind the rest of them for some unknown reason. hope they get with it and start.

Guest Victor9er

chattanooga stores are behind the rest of them for some unknown reason. hope they get with it and start.

Would be nice, though they'll probably start now... after I already bought my AR at the gun show a few weeks back :lol:

• 1 month later...

I was in the Fort O store today and they have the ARs.Saw the DPMS .308,the Colt,Sig,and S&W

Yeah the ghetto-mart on charlotte ave in nashville doesn't have them either. Can't imagine why????

I stopped by Wal-Mart on charlotte two weeks ago and asked the worker restocking ammo if they had any AR15s. He said they stopped carrying firearms several years ago and so did all other Wal-Marts located in metropolitan davidson county. Said that a kid bought ammo that he used in a school shooting, he said at Overton, (i could not recall a shooting at overton in the past several years or one in nashville) and the kid was underage. No idea how accurate or true the info is. Just thought I would pass it along

I'll let them carry it out to save 10%. I do try to buy from small stores but I will not pay a premium to do it either.

Like buying online. I give local shops the chance at my business and most get an attitude for asking if they will match. There are local shops, Mike's, that can an do regularly beat online sellers. Two of the last three guns came from Mike's and the third was bought online because he couldn't get a Cricket pistol.

Dolomite

What is this Mike's you speak of? I've heard of a little shop somewhere around Sweetwater that makes it a point to beat online retailers, i'll ask someone at work about it.

... Said that a kid bought ammo that he used in a school shooting, ...

Urban Walmart legend as to reason, even if there were a shooting there. Kid told me similar about Knoxville, one kid told me "it's because of UT being inside city limits". Etc.

Fact is almost certainly that Walmart spreadsheets show that the metro Wallies don't sell as many rifles and shotguns as the outlying and smaller town ones, not worth the FFL hassle for them there. Walmart is managed to the nth degree for profit margin, no way they'd base what they sell where on any other reason.

If indeed they start selling handguns, that may change, though. No indication so far that all those rumors were true.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

What is this Mike's you speak of? I've heard of a little shop somewhere around Sweetwater that makes it a point to beat online retailers, i'll ask someone at work about it.

Mike's Gun Shop

Three locations. The one in Tazewell is by far the biggest with the largest selection under one roof. And when you walk in you thing "that is a big selection" then he proceeds to tell you 2/3's are in his basement. He has the widest selection of guns I have evet heard of. If you are looking for that Ruger that was only made in 1997 and there were only 100 examples Mike will walk downstairs and get it. I have seen several customers come in and say "I have been looking for ever for XXX" then Mike goes and gets one from down stairs.

Mike is one of the nicest guys you will meet. He is also very knowledgeable without being overbearing like a lot of people who work in gun shops. He is also willing to deal and haggle, expecially if you are spending a lot of money with him.

I picked up my Ruger 22 pistol for exactly what Bud's charges. My wife's LC9 was $30 cheaper than anyone on the net.

1812 N Broad St

Tazewell, TN 37879

(423) 626-4323

422 N Cumberland St,

Morristown,TN37814

(423) 307-5195

222 N 19th St,Middlesboro,

KY40965

(606) 248-7071

Dolomite

Maybe all us Clarksville TGO'ers could have a field trip. I see absolutely nothing negative about "Car Pooling" for a "Buisness" trip. :). This Mike's sounds like the kind of brick and mortar store that makes the trip worthwhile..