Caster's new toy

I've been saying for a short while now how my eyes are troubled by large calibers, so I went off last night and traded off some of my .308 stuff and I came home with this. It's chinese. 9x19 It is basically new. The pic looks like if has some bad spots in the finish but that's just grease running out of it. I think the chinese lube these with pork fat! Nasty!!! :yuck: The grips suck but they will soon be replaced. I'm pondering what wood to use right now. If it runs okay, I'm going to track down a holster/shoulder stock for it.

Also trying to decide what to feed it. The rifling is a touch shallow so I may go with a soft lead bullet, or stick to jacketed. I'm going to try to find the lowest pressure load that will reliably cycle. Parts aren't widely available so I don't want to pound it.

This one uses a detachable magazine. I got the 10 seen here and a 20 round that hangs down a bit. PLUS, I can still use a charger instead of removing the magazine.

DSC02560.jpg

Edited by Caster

Where did you find it?

I have an old one that had been blank converted.

It had been blown up I would love to reactivate it and get it rebarreled for 9mm.

One of my very best friends had it. He has a few more but won't be parted with them.

He's about twice my age and has had a lifetime to accumulate. Not sure how I got the privilege of being welcome to see what he has, but it's cool! I know a couple of gentlemen that are a bit older than me that I have made friends with and trust me enough to show me things. I'm thankful for it and will carry it to my grave.

ANYWAY,

zgunbear, I'm not sure if I would want to do that or not. It would depend heavily on what shape the guts are in. As far as the barrel goes, yours is in 7,63x25 Mauser correct? There's a place or two that can bore and rifle your existing barrel for 9x19. The problem is that the chambers on the Mauser tend to run a touch deep. You will most likely find that you can chamber a live 9mm in you 7,63x25 pistol. Recipe for disaster should you touch that off.

This ain't what you want to hear but I would probably delegate it to parts. If I were you I'd find me another one that's a good shooter and have the one you have now for a parts gun. Parts are very hard to find.

Guest Victor9er

You say that like I won't do it??? :dirty:

Oh I know you will. You need one of those big holster for the stock and the pistol like the German ones.

Oh, oh! You need to put a scope on it and then buy a white shirt, black vest, and black pants with a yellow stripe down the side. Then you can go all "Han Solo" with it!

:x:

Oh, oh! You need to put a scope on it and then buy a white shirt, black vest, and black pants with a yellow stripe down the side. Then you can go all "Han Solo" with it!

Tracking down the proper fire extinguisher nozzle to make the muzzle device out of is nigh impossible. I used to have a list of all the original components need to make a proper replica of a Blastech DL-44 Heavy Blaster.

Don't encourage him. Lol

@Caster, put a Krink brake on it. Even though that isn't even close.

Don't encourage him. Lol

@Caster, put a Krink brake on it. Even though that isn't even close.

Closer than you think if I can find an original stock for it, or a reproduction mad before 1999 [or something like that] ATF gives exemption for certain antique handguns that were made to accept a stock. This would be a pretty tough little carbine with the 20 rnd magazine I have for it.

Well if it's an original or close that would fall into C&R category right? Where it won't be considered a SBR? A friend of mine has an original German one of those with the stock and has a letter from the ATF saying that since it's a C&R item certain laws don't apply. Not sure on that ruling though.

*Note; sorry for the CFL thing, I always want to call it that, not the C&R. Guess Curio Firearms License just makes more sense to my brain.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

zgunbear, I'm not sure if I would want to do that or not. It would depend heavily on what shape the guts are in. As far as the barrel goes, yours is in 7,63x25 Mauser correct? There's a place or two that can bore and rifle your existing barrel for 9x19. The problem is that the chambers on the Mauser tend to run a touch deep. You will most likely find that you can chamber a live 9mm in you 7,63x25 pistol. Recipe for disaster should you touch that off.

This ain't what you want to hear but I would probably delegate it to parts. If I were you I'd find me another one that's a good shooter and have the one you have now for a parts gun. Parts are very hard to find.

If I try to reactivate it I will have to get a new barrel and extension. I was using it for ww2 re-enacting and I had one blank that had a heavier charge.

It cracked the bolt stop and egged out the hole in the barrel extension.

I have 2 complete lock frames that are in good condition. I also have the shoulder stock that came with it when It was brought in from China in the late 80's early 90's.

I love the fact that they are a completely interlocking design

Who does the reboring to 9mm? I did not know anyone still did that.

If I try to reactivate it I will have to get a new barrel and extension. I was using it for ww2 re-enacting and I had one blank that had a heavier charge.

It cracked the bolt stop and egged out the hole in the barrel extension.

I have 2 complete lock frames that are in good condition. I also have the shoulder stock that came with it when It was brought in from China in the late 80's early 90's.

I love the fact that they are a completely interlocking design

Who does the reboring to 9mm? I did not know anyone still did that.

dont rebore it shoot it in 30 mauser easy to reload use 30c tok brass and cast bullets

• Like 1

next time you come over we will try one of my stocks on it i have several

Awesome!

dont rebore it shoot it in 30 mauser easy to reload use 30c tok brass and cast bullets

This is true too, if you're just trying to get away from that caliber....It's worth a reconsideration. It's actually a pretty awesome cartridge. Before the .357 magnum was introduced it was the highest velocity pistol cartridge made.

Guest 6.8 AR

Man, Caster, that looks like something a red would have used to off a prisoner and send the family

a bill for the bullet. That's a find.

I had a family acquaintance in Clarksville, he died in 2000 or 2001. He had a gun collection like something

the NRA would have. His entire house had display cases and racks full of rifles and pistols, each having

type written labels tied on each weapon. I got to see it once before he died. I walked through that house

in awe of the history. He had all types, going way back in time and multiples of many types of guns. I could

have spent days in there and not seen everything. I won't mention names, but it was a prominent family

here. Only his bedroom, kitchen and bath were void of weapons. I wish I had a camera with me when I was

there because I had no idea for years. I thought he was just a bedridden, dying man. I don't know how

much the family kept. A trustee kept track of it for almost fifty years and I'm sure most of it was sold to private

collectors.

Not really happy with the job I did. The fit around the top SUCKS. A blind monkey coulda done better. BUT, they are better the originals. At least they don't wiggle or over/under lap the edges of the grip.

I didn't use a finish, just 600 grit and then jewelers rouge and a muslin wheel.

DSC02562.jpg

DSC02561.jpg