8K "reptile" gun

Guest Victor9er

Guest Victor9er

So I just saw an episode of American Guns (I don't know why I put it on, honestly....) and there was this guy from Florida that wanted to buy a gun from them to hunt gators with. They ended up agreeing to a total price of $8,000 for the whole "package" deal. Here's what they got:

Mossberg MVP (5.56/.223 bolt action)

Leupold Scout scope

S&W Governor ("Judge" clone)

Plus "custom" work.

I figure that the two guns plus glass might come out to $1500 total, the custom work involved a trigger job on both guns, they shortened the barrel on the Mossberg (not sure if they chopped it below 16" or not) and some engraving. Apparently all of that was worth an extra $6500.

:stunned:

The kicker is that they originally wanted to charge the guy $10k for it all! And this guy is supposed to go back to Florida and "send some more buisness" their way.

:screwy:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Victor9er

Yeah, I'm hoping it was all staged and not a real customer... for that kid's sake. Otherwise... ouch, they could at least have given him a tube of KY to go with it...

Saw that too....my jaw dropped. :ugh:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/756/products_id/76665/Rifles/Century+International+Arms+Inc./Mossberg+MVP+VAR+24+HB+223+LAM+10RD 519.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=276602762 690.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=276602762 299.00

For a grand total of 1,508.

So there must have been 6,492 dollars worth of etching "trigger work" and smoothing everything out. I will never watch that show again.

As I stayed in another thread, Hollywoods in Colorado.

To sum it up, (and this is just my little hunch) these people buying the high dollar stuff on the show are actors. No reall money is changing hands and if it is it's being put up by the production company. Havent you all noticed how the customers all look their part to a T?

Whats to gain?

"Awe factor"

The target audiance doesnt want to hear about $2,000. They WANT to hear about $20,000.

As an added bonus, the owner gets to start charging astronomical prices to real customers and basing the value off show prices. "Hey man I usually get $9,000 for a job like that, $6,000 is a bargain"

Either way even if they weren't over priced, they're full of crap. There was an episode when the wife was doing a benefit shoot for local firefighters, she started out the deal by stating "Because this weapon is fully automatic with a barrel length of 12" you guys can never own one. Today will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for you to shoot one"

Last I checked Co was pretty firearm friendly, also since fire fighters (rightfully) make a pretty decent living I think it's safe to say she was blowing smoke.

Terrible show IMO, worse than sons of guns.

Either way even if they weren't over priced, they're full of crap. There was an episode when the wife was doing a benefit shoot for local firefighters, she started out the deal by stating "Because this weapon is fully automatic with a barrel length of 12" you guys can never own one. Today will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for you to shoot one"

Last I checked Co was pretty firearm friendly, also since fire fighters (rightfully) make a pretty decent living I think it's safe to say she was blowing smoke.

Terrible show IMO, worse than sons of guns.

I guess that is one point for Sons of Guns, at least they make a point of the NFA Paperwork when they sell an NFA item.

Things like that are good. I have lost count of the times I have had a friend ask me if I have to have a license for my AR, or that think it is impossible to own a full auto.

So I just saw an episode of American Guns (I don't know why I put it on, honestly....) and there was this guy from Florida that wanted to buy a gun from them to hunt gators with. They ended up agreeing to a total price of $8,000 for the whole "package" deal. Here's what they got:

Mossberg MVP (5.56/.223 bolt action)

Leupold Scout scope

S&W Governor ("Judge" clone)

Plus "custom" work.

I figure that the two guns plus glass might come out to $1500 total, the custom work involved a trigger job on both guns, they shortened the barrel on the Mossberg (not sure if they chopped it below 16" or not) and some engraving. Apparently all of that was worth an extra $6500.

:stunned:

The kicker is that they originally wanted to charge the guy $10k for it all! And this guy is supposed to go back to Florida and "send some more buisness" their way.

:screwy:

The guy that traded the 4 guns for what, $1500 didn't exactly get "deal of the century"

While the prices are high, in my limited experience in the west, I did notice that gun prices seem to be pretty high as a norm. I'm told Colorado prices, for whatever reason, seem to use the Franklin Gun shop model.

I wonder what pricing guide they are using? I know that pricing varies from state to state but not by thousands..

In the real world.. would anyone be that dumb to shell out that much money for a run of the mill gun that might have some engraving added?

They HAVE to know that its not a realistic price...

I wonder what pricing guide they are using? I know that pricing varies from state to state but not by thousands..

In the real world.. would anyone be that dumb to shell out that much money for a run of the mill gun that might have some engraving added?

They HAVE to know that its not a realistic price...

There's a sucker born every minute and apparently they all go to Gunsmoke.

Wow. If I'm not mistaken, the folks on "Swamp People" use little .22 rifles.

At point blank range. I've seen them use a .270 bolt gun and a Mini 14 for real shots.

BTW: All the pricing on American Guns is WAY over the top. I figure the folks paying are getting what they deserve.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest Victor9er

Also why would you travel that far for three guns? I know there has to be a place closer to Florida that can do the exact same work. Why not Predator lol?

Apparently they were up there snowboarding (on vacation I guess) and were about to head back to Florida so they decided to stop by (Gunsmoke) and get a gun from them before they left. Maybe they're paying for the "novelty" of having a gun from a place that has it's own TV show... I don't know but they always seem to overcharge everything on there.

I think that was my last episode. Apparently Wyatt just throws out some random, obscene number to see if an idiot will bite.

For 8K those two guns should have been plated in solid gold with platinum inlays having the capability to load and shoot themselves while you sit back and watch. All that without the stupid huge Gunsmoke logo permanently defacing them.

Edited by Garufa

All that without the stupid huge Gunsmoke logo permanently defacing them.

Exactly what I was thinking. Why would you want to lay out that kind of money to ruin the firearm and advertise for an a**hole.

Edited by laktrash