Rotator cuff surgery

Anyone had this? Rotator cuff surgery.

I will know for sure on Tuesday but looks like Ill be down for a few.

I guess I can practice one handed shooting with my left hand LOL... I am right handed

It is my right shoulder.

How long is recovery?

I guess rifles and even reloading will be out for a few?

Edited by JeffsSig

My mom had it done, and though she's old, it's a pretty long road to full recovery for anyone of any age, Jeff, generally at least 6 months before it's "normal" again, figure 9 months to a year before you can really depend on it full tilt boogie force.

The first stage is the real drag, though, mostly immobilized in sling for at least 2-3 weeks, and likely more like 4-6, with just periodic little exercise periods that don't actually involve stressing the shoulder itself. The sling is as much for immobilization as support, will be one of those with a velcroed spacer worn around your waist to keep it out from your body some and keep weight of arm from pulling down on shoulder at all. Sleeping may be somewhat of an adventure while you're in sling mode. Then, a period of rehabbing with non-resistence to the repaired area and finally resistance strengthening to it.

All of these time frames are variable depending on how much damage was repaired and also how well you do with rehabbing it, too, but it's not like you can hurry much of it up by increasing exercise, at least in the early parts.

On the bright side, I'd wager you are going to become much better left-handed at most everything than you ever thought possible!

Sorry, ya have to go through this, buddy...

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest fastbilly1

i had this done last june and it was a not a picnic. the only way i could for first several weeks was in a recliner with pillows under my arm. start practicing doing EVERYthing left handed. i work construction and was out of work for about 4 months.

i wish you a speedy recovery and offer my sympathy

When I was going through physical therapy last year, there was a guy that had the same schedule as me and we chatted a lot over it. Him and the therapist both said it wasn't a horrible amount of pain but it was aggravating because he couldn't move it any at all for so long, and once he did start moving, he did too much and something happened so he added another 2 months on to the recovery. The therapist said it's one of the longest recoveries you will have because of the soft tissue work

Just make sure the surgeon is good, and take that guy's advice.. Do not move it around and risk tearing anything after the surgery.

Another option would be to just have your arm amputated and get them to install a big hook so you can be prepared to tackle any zipline without needing extra gear

Not fun I had it done when I was 17. It took me about 6mo to get full use back and another 4 months until the strength was back to full. This may be a little harder when your not a 17 yo that has nothing better to do than rehab. I will say that the recliner and pillows will be your best friend for some time. As Sam said get the best Dr. the area has and make sure to listen to him to the letter. I have had several sport related surgeries and this was not the most painful but it was the most frustrating. Nothing humbles you like not being able to put your pants on with out wearing yourself out.

... The therapist said it's one of the longest recoveries you will have because of the soft tissue work...

Yeah, it's amazing; that same old mom of mine had a hip done, and walked a freaking mile a week after the surgery. She couldn't get over how a seemingly "lesser" deal like a shoulder repair could be so much more of an ordeal.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Been there and done that. Got the t-shirt from rehab but refuse to wear it! OhShoot has it described pretty well. One of the best suggestions that I was given came from a friend. She said to get an electric lift chair for sleeping. I spent most nights in that chair for about 5-6 weeks. The electric version has infinite adjustments rather that the 2 or 3 in a mechanical chair. Plus the lift arm is on right side of standard chairs. Also, you'll be surprised how much it helps with standing up for the first few weeks. They are available for rent from medical supply houses.

Other than that, the amount you will recovery is strongly affected by therapy and how much effort you put into it. The surgeon described my tear as "huge". Today i can reach behind my head and put my finger tips betwen my shoulder blades, put the back of my hand over my spine at the back of my waist, etc and my strength is 90%+ of what I had before I tore my cuff. You should be officially "finished" with therapy in about 3 months but, if you keep working at it, you will continue to see improvement. It probably took at least a year for me to get where I am today.

Edited by WindHawk

I had right shoulder broken after the bike incident past November. I had attended physical therapy at Knoxville Orthopaedic clinic for 2 months. They are good. I also did exercises 40 minutes every day in my garage. I highly recommend to install a pulley on the roof of garage and attachment points for resistance tubes while you can do it. They will be your best friends for next 2 - 3 months.

As far as you spirit is strong, your body can recover

Ok. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!! and thanks for the input.

I will know for sure Tuesday but I am certain it is torn and Im not sure how bad. The Guy that took my MRI said UN Officially it didnt look good. I had to go in for 2 sets of MRIs

I can use my arm to somethings. But when I move it in a bad way it will bring me down for a few moments.

6 months looks like norm. Thats going to suck. I may wait until winter. to do it if its needed.

Thanks!!!! for all the well wishes.......

as said above, plan on a full year to get back to full strength. 6 months you're pretty good, 9 months even better, but in reality it will take a year to get completely back. You'll be sleeping in a recliner for sometime. Even though insurance does not usually cover it, spend the money out of pocket for the circulating cold water ice pack. And keep it on there A LOT. You can probably get off the pain meds quicker with a lot of ice pack usage. If you're insurance does not pay for the ice pack you can pick one up on ebay pretty cheap and you'll need to take it with you when you go in for the surgery as they will want it on soon as the surgery is done. I think the DR office price was about $175 and I didn't know about it until we got there so I had to buy it from them. A good used one would be just as well. Make sure it comes with the cuff designed for your shoulder.

I had rotator cuff surgery a few years ago. I was back to work in a week. I shouldn't have been but the company I work for requires that you go on a leave of absence after five days and I wasn't having that. I would not expect anyone to return to work a week after rotator cuff surgery. I had to travel the week i returned and had to find a hotel room with a recliner in it because I still couldn't sleep laying in a bed. I could barely get any sleep in a recliner. Driving was a pain. I did away with the sling after the first week. It was more trouble than it was worth. In my follow up visit with my doctor, he was shocked that I was back at work. Fortunately for me, my job (engineering) requires me to run my mouth more than anything else.

I seem to have developed a high tolerance for pain over the years. I tend to just ignore pain when I need to. If I'm paying attention to it, I live with pain every day. I have experienced some very serious injuries in the past and carry a collection of screws and rods in my bones. Truthfully, it took several months to get full comfortable motion but overall the procedure was a success and I'm glad I had it done.

Best of luck and speedy recovery!

Wow, what a coincidence. I hurt mine a couple weeks ago also trying to put a belt on my lawn tractor in an awkward position.

I couldn't raise my left arm (left handed) shoulder high and had to miss my monthly IDPA match. In addition to the pain and not being able to function properly, we can't be missing any shooting activities, so...

I had knee surgery back in the 90"s and didn't want to go through that again so I decided to try a chiropractor. It's not cured 100% yet but, at least most the pain is gone and I can shoot a handgun. It sure did get sore again when I shot two rounds of trap.

Why they want to pop your neck and back when it's your shoulder rotator cuff beats the heck out of me. That was causing me problems I didn't have before so I told her that was the end of that nonsense.

Good luck with yours.

Guest pfries

My dad had it last year, he is glad he did but it was a hard recovery for him (he's 79 and out of shape). First month and a half all I heard was complaining about how he should not have done it, now his tune has changed. I wish the best and a speedy recovery.

Thank you for the offer BALL & CHAIN. I am married But it was nice of you to offer!!

I am doing well just cant do some things I did in the past.

Im not sure when I will have them cut on me. I am looking to put it off until summer is over, If I can make it that long .

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

I've had problems with my left shoulder since high school. I believe it's either a rotator cuff problem or bankhard lesion. On the somewhat rare occasions that I hurt it, I think I might be interested in surgery to get it properly fixed. Then I read threads like this and decide a little aggravation isn't so bad after all. I'm sure it would help if I'd do the exercises I know I should. Best of luck with your surgery and recovery.

• 4 years later...

I'm going to bump this with hope of seeing faster recovery times....ha, ha.

4to6 weeks is what the Doc. said but from everything I've read its more like 4 to 6 months.

Mine will be Arthroscopic surgery to a pretty damaged shoulder. I'm getting another cort-shot tomorrow and will pin him down on recovery times.

I'm in overall good health and fit for a 58yr old. I had knee surgery three years ago and that went well, back to routines in about 5 wks.