What is the most efficient way you've trapped rabbit?

Guest USMC 2013

Guest USMC 2013

I am like totally recalling this post, as rabbit "Trapping" is NOT permitted in this state, live traps or otherwise.....sheez.....Tennessee!

Shoot them when in season....

Crap! Thanks for the heads up WD. I would never have imagined a state that allows baiting deer wouldn't allow trapping rabbit. I don't think I will be able to shoot them in my neighborhood so I guess the cotton tails get a pardon.

Then again, I do have a couple terriers that love to hunt...

Joe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While trapping is them is illegal, it is still a good idea to learn the principles :rolleyes: of it. To catch them live WTSHTF would much more advantageous than shooting them. If you could catch a few and cage them, they would perpetuate and make a nice little renewable source of meat.

Edited by Caster

While trapping is them is illegal, it is still a good idea to learn the principles :rolleyes: of it. To catch them live WTSHTF would much more advantageous than shooting them. If you could catch a few and cage them, they would perpetuate and make a nice little renewable source of meat.

This! Rabbits are one of the most rapidly reproducing protein sources on the planet. Pretty low maintenance too.

This! Rabbits are one of the most rapidly reproducing protein sources on the planet. Pretty low maintenance too.

Yep, the protein you can reap from keeping them in fresh water and clover and maybe plant a patch of turnip greens or something to keep them fed. Much easier than other methods. I don't really care much for rabbit, but the field across the street is full of them and if need be.....oh yeah, I'll have some campfire hasenpfeffer (minus the blood :yuck: ).

Edited by Caster

Indians I worked with in the Colombian jungle would bring home small game all the time using the basic twitch snare vertically set. They would set it in the middle of a small trail, usually near water. It was something they learned from an early age, and they made them sensitive enough that chipmunk sized animals were easily caught, depending on the loop size. I'd set one and it would take a running pig to set it off. I never could get a dead fall to work very well either. It was much easier to use a blowgun with a bit of poison on it.

Cherokee Slim

Yep, the protein you can reap from keeping them in fresh water and clover and maybe plant a patch of turnip greens or something to keep them fed. Much easier than other methods. I don't really care much for rabbit, but the field across the street is full of them and if need be.....oh yeah, I'll have some campfire hasenpfeffer (minus the blood :yuck: ).

Domestic rabbit is lots better. We always brined wild rabbit, but domestic is kill and eat.

Correct sir!!!

Thanks WD-40.

If I lived out in the country with more land (and more wabbits) maybe could figure out how to train the boy to bring em home to poppa. Old Travis apparently knows they are sposed to be brung home, but he is more interested in his nose and treeing stuff. He's fast in spurts and will expend the effort to chase down a cat or possum (or tree it, whichever comes first) but he's not up to catching rabbits. Got a couple acres of suburban woods but only about half fenced good enough for the dawgs at the moment. If Bandit got convinced one time to bring me a wabbit of his own accord and he got to see it skinned and cooked, and got some wabbit dumplings then maybe he would get the idea? He might like wabbit dumplings better than raw rabbit, fur, bones and most everything else down the gullet. Or maybe it tastes better raw with fur and bones. OTOH Bandit's never been known to turn down a cooked meal either. Luckily there don't seem to be any coons in my neighborhood. If they spy a coon all bets are off that they would stay in the fence.

I like dogs but don't know much. Saw a TV documentary about arab rabbit hounds. Apparently there are "redneck arabs" in north african and middle eastern nations who love hunting hounds as much as any hillbilly ever loved a hound. Having bred those skinny long-legged hounds thousands of years for catching desert rabbits. The documentary was shot in several countries, showed various arab dog-lovers trading their prized dawgs, explaining the fine points, spoiling them rotten, etc. The show followed an "old fashioned back to the desert" campout in Saudi Arabia where the guys set up tents and camp out in the desert to run their hounds. Looks similar to AL or N. GA coonhunts or foxhunts where the good ole boys release the hounds then sit around the campfire eating and drinking, listening for the hounds in the distance to know if they tree something.

Complicated by (according to the documentary) Saudi Arabia having declared desert rabbits an endangered species, so the hunters have to carry on rabbit hunts where the rabbits survive. Wish I could find the documentary and watch it again. IIRC, they would muzzle the dogs on the no-kill rabbit hunts so the rabbits would survive to be chased another day. Judging by the speed and efficiency of those long-legged skinny hounds, guess the wabbits really could become endangered if enough folks went hunting thataway.

Accidentally adopted Bandit because he was too much of a handful for the neighbors as a pup and they were getting ready to take him to the pound. They said he is "descended from champions". Sometime I ought to ask for more info. The neighbors said he is a treeing walker but he is bi-color black'n'white, not a hint of brown or red and the fur is shorter than most walker pictures. His fur is barely long enough to pinch and supposedly beauty-pageant walkers are sposed to have a little longer fur than that. Bandit is a little longer of snout than many treeing walkers. The walkers who win the beauty contests tend to look like tricolor fox hounds. Spent a bunch of time lurking coonhound forums trying to learn but dunno nothin about it. You fellas who know about it please let me know.

Maybe one picture out of fifty on the web, identified as a treeing walker, will be a black and white ticked animal who looks like bandit, similar to a a german shorthair pointer or whatever.

Accidentally found a flickr photo page youtube videos from a young Massachusetts couple, dog lovers who apparently adopted a hound pup that might as well be Bandit's clone. One of these days ought to contact em and ask questions because they posted pictures and video but no explanations.

Anyway, the flickr photo album and the videos are titled "Tennessee Coonhound Reunion" dated 2010. Looks like a bunch of families had a picnic bringing their pups of the same bloodline back together to play. Dunno if they are Treeing Walker or whatever but that is a big pack of dawgs that might as well be Bandit's clones. Maybe those dawgs are Bandit's relatives, dunno. Apologies this is boring but I'm easily entertained. :)

http://www.flickr.co...157625258819599

A couple samples from the album--

5172611429_b710dc626a.jpg

5173218422_aaa582d92c.jpg

[media=]

[/media]

I have beagles that I rabbit hunt with. I love it! You never appreciate a dog until he serves you well!

New giant rabbit photo to replace the one hacked by the libtard, anal retentive website which claims be an authority on matters of truth.

Same rabbit, BTW. A Flemish Giant, raised in Germany. It is famous for producing the 12 offspring sent to DPRK for a rabbit farming venture, but were actyually eaten for lunch by Kim Jong Il (all 12, same dinner).

giant-rabbit1.jpg

Edited by R_Bert

Catching wild rabbits alive in a SHTF situation is a good idea, but your gonna have to learn to build a really big rabbit cage too. In my experience, a wild rabbit won't eat or drink anything when caged. It will go without til it dies. Maybe if you could build a cage big enough that it though it wasn't in a cage, it might work.

WTH ??? regarding Post 38

I did *not* edit this post and leave this graphic... I left a photograph of a Flemish Giant rabbit (a real breed raised for meat). The photo was from Snopes, which had verified the existance of giant rabbits. Now I see this "green thing", and cannot remove it.

Yep. Hacked. Maybe Bloomberg has banned big rabbits

Edited by mikegideon

A Flemish Giant, raised in Germany. It is famous for producing the 12 offspring sent to DPRK for a rabbit farming venture, but were actyually eaten for lunch by Kim Jong Il (all 12, same dinner).

giant-rabbit1.jpg

back to bunnies -

Edited by R_Bert

I'm too ignorant to know if this fella is above average but Bandit is an excellent mobile automatic rabbit trap. If he scares up a rabbit he will catch the rabbit.

When my dad was a young fellah, he apparently caught rabbits without using traps. He'd run them down on foot. No, I am not joking and this isn't a tall tale.

My dad was just plain fast and had reaction time that would probably make an old west gunfighter jealous. Even after having 2/3 of his stomach removed then undergoing chemo and radiation due to stomach cancer - even though I was in pretty good shape (actually, I was in the best shape of my life at the time) - he could easily outrun me. Easily. As in without even trying. With him wearing work boots and me in running shoes - despite the fact that he was 28 when I was born (meaning he was 28 years older than me.) So when he told me that he used to run rabbits down when he was a kid, I really wasn't even skeptical - especially after a few of his siblings confirmed having seen him do so (he was the oldest of twelve - now you know why he had to run down rabbits.) I once asked if he would get them in the woods where he could run them into a log or something and his response was, "No, if they got to the woods they would get away. If they were in an open field, they didn't stand a chance."

So instead of traps what you really need is just a good, fast, half-starved neighborhood kid.

Edited by JAB

When my dad was a young fellah, he apparently caught rabbits without using traps. He'd run them down on foot. No, I am not joking and this isn't a tall tale.

Absolutely possible.

As a young 6-7 yr old kid, I did it once. Caught it out in the open yard, were we ran in ever closing circles. I jumped "across" the circle (i.e. cheated) and tackled it. Carried it into the house (both of us squeeling like pigs), and watched mamma & the cat go absolutely beserk a microsecond after I lost my grip on the bunny (the cat quickly caught it and mom released it outside).

Edited by R_Bert