$70 to ship a handgun???

I contacted a company that gets rave reviews all over the Internet about having some trigger work done on a handgun. I got a quote for the work, which was reasonable, and then I saw the shipping price: $69.95 through FedEx. :eek:

He said that price is actually cheaper than normal because he has an account with them, and that his shipping costs run about $1500 per month. Now am I missing something here, or does this sound absolutely nuts? People ship guns on GunBroker for $20 - $25 all the time. Does this guy need to get another shipper or is he trying to gouge on the shipping? I can't imagine paying $70 to ship a gun each way.

Well, the cheapest overnight service is about $30 to go anywhere, more the longer the trip. Cost to coast may run about the $70.

Gunbroker shipping never makes much sense; half the handgun ads show "Priority Mail" or "UPS Ground", neither of which are available for handgun shipping, unless they are all just blatantly lying to UPS/FedEx and/or illegally shipping via USPS.

I figure GB stuff they just all put ~$25 and figure they'll come out okay with profit built into the Buy or Bid price, sort of like Free Shipping on eBay?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Last time I priced shipping at an Oak Ridge area FEDEX outlet (maybe 3 years ago), they cited "company rules" that handguns had to be shipped via overnight, and it was ~$65.

I found another route.

B.

Guest HankRearden

The last handgun I sent via FedEx to Idaho cost me just over $70.00 Overnight priority with signature is their policy or insurance will not cover the cost of loss or theft.

My local UPS hub will not accept any firearms unless they come through a dealer.

FFL to FFL can ship via USPS. Last time a dealer did that for me (about 3 years ago), it cost $12.50 to ship the handgun.

It's simpler than that...any dealer can ship a gun via USPS. It's only the general public that isn't "allowed". However, the language just says "dealer". There's no actual requirements. That being said, all of my guns that I've bought have been shipped to my FFL's using USPS and it generally only costs me $10 for priority mail insured.

It's simpler than that...any dealer can ship a gun via USPS. It's only the general public that isn't "allowed". However, the language just says "dealer". There's no actual requirements. ...

Requirements seem pretty spelled out to me:

"Mailability Requirements for Firearms

Unloaded Handgun

Handguns — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3–7):

Addressee: Officer of Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.

Addressee: Officer of National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.

Addressee: Officer of the federal government or a state, district, or territory whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.

Addressee: Postal Service employees specifically authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.

Addressee: Officer or employee of a U.S. enforcement agency.

Addressee: Watchman engaged in guarding federal, state, district, or territory property.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by chief clerk of department, bureau, or independent branch of the government agency employing the addressee.

Addressee: Purchasing agent or other designated member of an enforcement agency employing officers and personnel included in c, d, or e above.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of agency stating the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee cited in c, d, or e above.

Addressee: Licensed manufacturers and dealers of firearms.

Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Signed statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.

The mailer must be a licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

Handguns may be mailed without regard to the requirements noted in items a–h if the addressee is the FBI (or its Director) or a scientific lab or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers, or state, district, or territory officers authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

Manufacturers or dealers must complete PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, and file with the postmaster.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to their PCSC for a ruling."

The last handgun I sent via FedEx to Idaho cost me just over $70.00 Overnight priority with signature is their policy or insurance will not cover the cost of loss or theft...

Yep. And if noticed that a handgun is sent FedEx Ground it will come right back to you (if it doesn't disappear). I opened many a package when I was a Ground driver and sent them back through the mill, long story why.

- OS

Guest thorn

I just shipped one FedEx last week. Not only did it have to go overnight they also made me go Priority by 10am (dumb, I know). $95 to VA. Declared value was high but it makes the $70 not seem out of line.

I also had some ammo with me and at first the lady told me I had to ship it overnight. So, I argue with her and she calls someone and they tell her no but I do have to open a commercial account to ship it. I ended up going over to UPS and shipped it with no hassle at all. Nothing worse than someone that has no idea what they are doing making up thier own rules as they go.

Yep. And if noticed that a handgun is sent FedEx Ground it will come right back to you (if it doesn't disappear). I opened many a package when I was a Ground driver and sent them back through the mill, long story why.

- OS

Why would you open packages as a driver?

I shipped an old Gen 2 G19 back to Glock for upgrade and both UPS and Fedex require overnight shipping for handguns. It was going to cost me at least $75.

I contacted a local pawn shop/FFL and they did it for $45. That is your best bet.

UPS will cost you $50. They require you to overnight a handgun. Company policy.

no true.....UPS 2 day air......20 bucks

it was a hand gun going to the MFG for repairs and it was the MFG who told me to ship this way

so who am I to argue

I have so far shipped 3 handguns to date via UPS 2 day air....no issues

Edited by SonnyCrockett

Well, call me educated. I worked it out that I would just drop it off and pick it up in person because the shop is near my hometown and I visit there fairly often. I was just blown away when I saw that shipping price. I didn't really think the guy was trying to scam me, but more thought he just hadn't really done much research on shipping options. Just another reason to improve my own gunsmithing skills.

Guest bkelm18

it was a hand gun going to the MFG for repairs and it was the MFG who told me to ship this way

so who am I to argue

It's not up to the MFG to say how it gets shipped. It's up to the shipping company to say how it gets shipped. :) And yes, UPS policy is overnight.

so who am I to argue

I just shipped a handgun back to Taurus from the UPS hub on Seaboard lane in Brentwood. It's their policy it has to be overnighted and it cost me something to the tune of $48 dollars and change. Got the receipt here somewhere.

Did you declare it a handgun when you shipped it? You're supposed to and if the UPS guy took it as a handgun and didn't make you overnight it, he didn't do his job as UPS mandates. I tried that with Fed-Ex once, trying to drop a rifle off at a drop off satellite store. It very nearly cost me my rifle. Good thing they didn't find out until after the truck had delivered it to the FFL it was headed to.

http://www.ups.com/c...ipping firearms

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).

Edited by Caster

Why would you open packages as a driver?

Figgered someone would ask.

FedEx Ground are contractors, paid by the stop, and also responsible for all claims when I was a driver (there are some modifying circumstances now).

Main reason to open a package was to assess your financial risk if leaving it when no one home (not paid for undelivered stops, so you wanted to leave everything, but on other hand you might not want to leave say a copy of PhotoShop where your risk could wipe out a whole day's profit, etc, also depended much on where you were leaving it, etc). You'd also open packages if you suspected they were damaged inside, to send back up through quality control rather than deliver them, otherwise you'd get hammered with breakage claim that way, too.

Reason I opened the possible handgun packages was because the Para service center was on my route, all out by itself, seldom had anything else in the area so lost money and time running out there; if a handgun, I sent it back didn't have to go.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Figgered someone would ask.

FedEx Ground are contractors, paid by the stop, and also responsible for all claims when I was a driver (there are some modifying circumstances now).

Main reason to open a package was to assess your financial risk if leaving it when no one home (not paid for undelivered stops, so you wanted to leave everything, but on other hand you might not want to leave say a copy of PhotoShop where your risk could wipe out a whole day's profit, etc, also depended much on where you were leaving it, etc). You'd also open packages if you suspected they were damaged inside, to send back up through quality control rather than deliver them, otherwise you'd get hammered with breakage claim that way, too.

Reason I opened the possible handgun packages was because the Para service center was on my route, all out by itself, seldom had anything else in the area so lost money and time running out there; if a handgun, I sent it back didn't have to go.

- OS

So drivers are out there intercepting (opening sealed) packages that are addressed to other people/businesses on a personal whim? You opened packages because you didn't want to lose money doing a job you were contracted for, waste time, and *thought* they might contain a gun?

So drivers are out there intercepting (opening sealed) packages that are addressed to other people/businesses on a personal whim? You opened packages because you didn't want to lose money doing a job you were contracted for, waste time, and *thought* they might contain a gun?

Correct, although "personal whim" is not the reason; profit and loss business decision is the reason.

Contract did not forbid opening packages to check contents for the reasons I stated.

- You'd leave a $500 package in an iffy location which if disappeared came out of your pocket?

- You'd deliver a broken lamp if the damage claim were likely to be assessed to you even though you didn't break it?

- You'd choose to lose money and time delivering something that was against shipping TOS of the company in the first place? (75% of the packages I "thought might" contain a handgun, did).

etc.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

At the Post Office, if we open a package on the route a nice inspector will come and take us to jail!

Totally different gig with totally different type of remuneration, responsibilities, and liabilities than FedEx Ground/Home Delivery.

Start with the fact you don't have to buy a truck and rent uniforms.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

If you don't want to leave a package in an "iffy location", leave a note for the person with contact information/other delivery or pick up times - don't cut open a package to see whats inside.

If there is obvious damage from previous mishandling, you don't cut open a package. You should kick it back to the previous destination/sorting facility/alert a manager while documenting the visible damage to the box.

I didn't know the driver of a van could cut open a package to see what's inside so he could determine if he felt like making the trip or not. Is that in the TOS? When I pay a company to deliver my package, can any random employee cut open the package to see what is inside to satisfy curiosity, a hunch, or a whim? Am I missing that fine print?

You can try and justify it any way you want, it's wrong. I'm glad you don't cut open random packages deliver packages anymore.

• Like 1

If you don't want to leave a package in an "iffy location", leave a note for the person with contact information/other delivery or pick up times - don't cut open a package to see whats inside.

That was an option. Up to three attempts, just like UPS. Only difference was that we didn't get paid a dime for any of the three tries, regardless of how long the stop took. Was better to simply see if package was in the ~$50 range, an acceptable risk to leave it. The rules have changed some now, and there is less financial risk to to the contractor for leaving packages at residences, although some places like apt. complexes are still a no no if charged with a missing package.

If there is obvious damage from previous mishandling, you don't cut open a package. You should kick it back to the previous destination/sorting facility/alert a manager while documenting the visible damage to the box.

Could do that. Could do it when truck being loaded if you noticed it then. Could also just take a peek inside, sometimes something that sounded broken, wasn't. Some things that looked like maybe had leaked from inside, just picked up something on the outside from a different source. If you didn't notice till you were already near or at delivery, better to deliver it if you possibly could, and only way to know was to look inside.

I didn't know the driver of a van could cut open a package to see what's inside so he could determine if he felt like making the trip or not. Is that in the TOS? When I pay a company to deliver my package, can any random employee cut open the package to see what is inside to satisfy curiosity, a hunch, or a whim? Am I missing that fine print?

Yes, the fine print that you are not to send a handgun via FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery,. and that it will be refused at any stage of the process when discovered from reception counter, pickup driver, sorting personnel, or delivery driver. Also that no claim would be honored if it simply vanishes. All legitimate packages had to be attempted for delivery, unless you were simply out of DOT hours for the week or couldn't get back to the terminal by 11pm (16 hour day, though you wouldn't claim that on DOT official hours).

You can try and justify it any way you want, it's wrong. I'm glad you don't cut open random packages deliver packages anymore.

Wrong is a moral concept. I lived up to a contract (even though FedEx didn't, hence the constant lawsuits from contractors and states and even feds, but that's another story). Nothing was cut open randomly, always a specific purpose. The handguns, as explained, were always to the Para repair center. I'm glad I don't deliver them anymore, too. However, I assure you that assuming you weren't gaming the FedEx system in some way, you would WANT me handling your stuff.

Overall % of mis-delivery and damaged has gotten much worse, as there are no more single route contractors (due to ongoing FedEx legal shenanigans to stay just above the legal fray), just lots of contractor paid employees, who don't give a flying xxxx, and the contractors can now absorb a much higher rate of claims since their volumes are so much greater, but less personal vested interest in each individual route and customer on that route lowers overall service quality.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot