$70 to ship a handgun???

Guest bkelm18

You can try and justify it any way you want, it's wrong. I'm glad you don't cut open random packages deliver packages anymore.

violin.gif

If you don't want something opened, have it sent or send it USPS. There are plenty of caveats that you have to accept when using a private shipper. One of them being your package can be opened and inspected at any time. Rather silly to think that UPS/FedEx is bound by some ethereal moral code of package transporting conduct. They're a business. Don't like it, don't use them. :)

Requirements seem pretty spelled out to me:

Wow...last time I checked on it, there was only the short paragraph at the top without any links to the Exhibits or any of the other parts underneath.

Granted this was about a year ago though. Well I guess they must have the "Statement by Shipper of Firearms" on file.

lolz...just found the "Statement". It's a signature card.

http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf

Edited by wcsc12

violin.gif

If you don't want something opened, have it sent or send it USPS. There are plenty of caveats that you have to accept when using a private shipper. One of them being your package can be opened and inspected at any time. Rather silly to think that UPS/FedEx is bound by some ethereal moral code of package transporting conduct. They're a business. Don't like it, don't use them. :)

I imagine USPS packages can be also, maybe just not by delivery driver.

For example try to send something in drop box over 13 oz. with stamps on it, and I'd say it might get a check. Either opened or xrayed or whatever. Before it's returned to you.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

It's not up to the MFG to say how it gets shipped. It's up to the shipping company to say how it gets shipped. :) And yes, UPS policy is overnight.

no risk no reward - ill stop shipping 2 day when they tell me to directly

Worst thing that can happen is they up charge you to next day -

no risk no reward - ill stop shipping 2 day when they tell me to directly

Worst thing that can happen is they up charge you to next day -

Worst thing that can happen is you lose your gun when they call the ATF to come and get it because it shows up in a random scan and there's a firearm on a shipment that's not supposed to have firearms. AND, we can argue what the letter of the law says all day but the law doesn't mean diddly squat when the ATF shows up.

Worst thing that can happen is you lose your gun when they call the ATF to come and get it because it shows up in a random scan and there's a firearm on a shipment that's not supposed to have firearms. AND, we can argue what the letter of the law says all day but the law doesn't mean diddly squat when the ATF shows up.

Well, there's no federal law about overnighting handguns, so doubt if BATF would get involved even if the shipper notified them -- unless it were illegal interstate shipment between individuals or some Class III violation or something.

It's UPS and FedEx TOS only that they be notified that that any shipment contains a gun, and if a handgun, must go some form of overnight (of which there are generally up to 3 choices depending on size of destination city). If sent wrong class and discovered, they may send gun back to origin; there's also the chance it may disappear, and no claim would be paid because of the TOS violation.

I assume all the ones I sent back up the line made it back to owner, but I have no way to know if they did or not -- nothing would surprise me re FedEx Ground, impossible to underestimate the ethics of the that corporate culture.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Reason I try to only work with LGS, FTF transactions on guns, and avoid shipping anything firearms related at all cost. I've never trusted any shipping company, and I don't like the idea that personal packages can be opened on drivers whim. While it might be a "business decision" to open a package going to Para repair center, it was also a great way to sidestep the responsibility of delivering a package because you didn't want it to cost you time to drive there and deal with it. You said yourself 75% of packages where handguns. So if you would take the time to open a 100 packages, trying to find 75 handguns to avoid a drive? All that does it steel my resolve to not ship considering how ungodly expensive shipping anything is, and that now delivery is just at the whim of whoever has the truck. Not to mention stuff like this

Those are the idiots your paying $50 to ship your stuff with.

... to sidestep the responsibility of delivering a package because you didn't want it to cost you time to drive there and deal with it. You said yourself 75% of packages where handguns. So if you would take the time to open a 100 packages, trying to find 75 handguns to avoid a drive? ...

FedEx has no responsibility to deliver a package that was not authorized under its TOS to be sent in the first place. Doesn't matter who discovers when along the way.

It wasn't just the time (30 min for the one stop); it cost me more just in fuel/wear and tear to deliver it than I made. Took a minute or three to open a package and tape it back up, as opposed to a 30 minute trip to lose money -- on something that shouldn't have been in our system in the first place. Sort of a no-brainer.

'Course it should have been a no brainer for the sender to ship according to the rules he agrees to by using the service, eh?

Don't get me wrong, didn't give one hoot about whether shipper was getting away with something or not, I was far from being a "company man". Was actually the "loyal opposition" at best, most of the time. If the Para place was right around more of my regular stops, would always have delivered. Just a case of using the actual rules in my favor to make a buck, or rather, to not lose one.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Well, there's no federal law about overnighting handguns, so doubt if BATF would get involved even if the shipper notified them -- unless it were illegal interstate shipment between individuals or some Class III violation or something.

It's UPS and FedEx TOS only that they be notified that that any shipment contains a gun, and if a handgun, must go some form of overnight (of which there are generally up to 3 choices depending on size of destination city). If sent wrong class and discovered, they may send gun back to origin; there's also the chance it may disappear, and no claim would be paid because of the TOS violation.

I assume all the ones I sent back up the line made it back to owner, but I have no way to know if they did or not -- nothing would surprise me re FedEx Ground, impossible to underestimate the ethics of the that corporate culture.

- OS

All it takes is a phone call saying, theres a gun here and we want it gone. Like a said, the actual law means nothing.

All it takes is a phone call saying, theres a gun here and we want it gone. Like a said, the actual law means nothing.

Yeah, probably true. Don't know UPS or USPS policy on how they actually handle that.

But certainly getting caught slipping an interstate person to person firearm under the radar could be quite unpleasant, AND exactly according to the federal law. That may be main rationale for the shippers' TOS about notification in the first place, dunno, though I can't think what the overnight for handguns accomplishes except additional revenue.

I've only sent one pistol and two long guns in recent memory, and no call tags issued by the companies. Used UPS. Since I have an account, just packaged up and printed labels myself, dropped at UPS store, no worries (even though they say must go through hub/full service place -- but I think that may technically be just for walk-in out of pocket sales?). But I did send the handgun the cheapest class of overnight, the rifles ground, didn't cut any corners there. And no federal laws or shipping class TOSs broken.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

- OS

agreed....

UPS/FEDEX are not ATF or the police.....and half them guys are not even paying attention

Like I said.......no risk no reward

I have a friend that used to receive a lot of packages fedex ground. He said he has seen drivers take a package that was too far away and just stomp on it then send it back as damaged.

Glenn

Um, I'm trying to follow the "logic" of that feller's accusation.

- If he saw drivers stomp them, they were already at the house so no reason not to just deliver them.

- If they stomped on them somewhere else before ever attempting to deliver, how did the recipient see them do that?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I wasn't very clear. The packages were not to him, they were for others that the driver felt were too far away to be profitable and the driver was unconcerned that my friend saw what he was doing.

Glenn

funny

I ordered a C&R pistol from a website and its being shipped

UPS GROUND to my house ...... Awesome

Barlett, Tennessee, 38133

United States

Shipping Method

United Parcel Service - Ground

Billing Address

Tennessee, 38133

United States

Payment Method

Credit Card Credit Card Type: Visa Credit Card Number: xxxx-

Items Ordered

Product Name Warehouse SKU Price Qty Subtotal Subtotal $229.99 Shipping & Handling $13.57 Grand Total $243.56

CZ-82 Pistol - 9x18 caliber

For your consideration... Hand Select (+$10.00) Hand Guns HGNCZ-82 $229.99 Ordered: 1 $229.99

funny

I ordered a C&R pistol from a website and its being shipped

UPS GROUND to my house ...... Awesome....

Yeah, they don't mention in their TOS that they allow licensee to licensee flexibility with that, but they do. Especially from large account holders.

Also, not everybody knows, but UPS and FedEx bid big accounts against each other; not every company pays the same rate by a long shot,and of course individuals pay the highest.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot