EDC bag

I know that some folks are of the mindset that 'real' men don't carry a bag on a regular basis. I, on the other hand, am of the school of thought that a 'real' man carries whatever he pleases. Along those lines for some time I have been meaning to start an EDC bag. I have had a few false starts, a few abandoned ideas and so on. I'm hoping this one 'takes' but we will see.

I guess first I should say what purpose I have in mind for an EDC bag - and to do so it might be easier to say what it isn't. It isn't a bug out bag, a survival bag nor an emergency kit - although it has some (very minor) elements of all of those - and then some. No, what I have in mind is something that can be a 'constant companion'. I am trying to include a range of stuff, some of which might only be useful in an emergency or crisis but much of which can be used on a daily, weekly or maybe a monthly basis. I am also including things that I just think would be 'nice' to have around but that won't fit in my pockets. So, on to the specifics:

The first thing I decided that I would need in order to create an EDC bag was, well, a bag. I've tried a small pack but it wouldn't really hold everything I wanted to lug around and it was kind of hard to keep up with - as evidenced by the fact that I have managed to misplace it along with all the stuff that I was carrying in it. I tried one of those small, cross-slung backpacks for a little while but it didn't have enough compartments to best organize what I wanted to carry and really wouldn't hold everything I wanted to put in it. I have a pretty nice, travel backpack that works well as an overnight bag, etc. It would certainly be large enough and have enough compartments - in fact, I really like it - but I wanted to save it to use when I need the aforementioned overnight bag. Besides that, a backpack wasn't really the 'style' of thing I wanted for EDC. I didn't really want to go with the standard (canvas, etc.) messenger bag nor did I want to use a nylon laptop bag or the like. Actually, I wanted leather. The problem is that most of the bags of the type I wanted, especially the ones made of sturdy, quality leather, cost more than I could reasonably spend - and to that end I started making a formed leather bag that would be roughly the size of a briefcase but took some inspiration from the old 'possibles bags' being that a modern day 'possibles bag' was kind of what I had in mind (not so much the black powder supplies as the way they were used to carry a multitude of stuff.) I haven't finished that one, yet, but I plan to do so when I get one of those round tuits you hear so much about.

Then events coincided to lead me to a bag that was almost exactly what I was looking for - sort of my Holy Grail of everyday carry bags. See, my mom likes hitting various Goodwill stores and she often finds pretty good stuff at bargain prices (for those not familiar with Goodwill - http://www.goodwill.org/ ) Well, on Memorial Day and the preceding weekend, Goodwill stores were having a sale - 50% off marked prices on everything. Mom wanted me to take her to visit my step grandfather that weekend and wanted to hit a few of the Goodwill stores along the way. Along with a few, other things I found a nice, solid leather bag that looked like it had never even been used. In fact, the desiccant packets were still in it. It looked a lot like a laptop bag but didn't have the padded compartment/velcro straps that most true laptop bags have. It had a zippered gusset on the main compartment (zip if not needed, unzip to allow the compartment to expand.) All this lead me to believe that it was intended as a sort of combination briefcase and travel bag. The only drawback was that it had a local company's name/logo embroidered on the front flap. I imagine it was originally some kind of employee premium or something that was given to an employee who never used it and eventually got rid of it. I figured I could use some of the scrap leather I have on hand to cover the embroidered logo (the stitching was so tight that pulling the stitches would have left too many holes.) The best part was the price. This nice, apparently brand new leather bag/case had a price tag of $3.00. Remember the half price sale, though - so I got it for $1.50. Yep, a buck and a half.

Well, just as I had planned I used a piece of scrap leather to cover the company name/logo. I even used a silver paint pen to put my initials on the scrap. I think the initials turned out okay for a quick, freehand job but I didn't stitch the patch down and only glued it at each end. Around here, there are folks who have booths set up in malls, flea markets and the like who have professional embroidery machines. Usually, they will let you choose a design, etc. to put on a baseball cap or the like. As the leather I used for the patch is thin and soft - and as I have more - I am hoping to take a swatch of it to one of them and get my initials actually embroidered on it. I will then replace the current patch with the embroidered one and stitch it down all nice and neat. Anyhow, this is what the bag looks like now:

photobucket-12377-1339530282152.jpg

photobucket-13103-1339530284873.jpg

More on the contents of the bag in posts to follow.

Edited by JAB

One thing I knew I wanted in my bag was some fishing supplies. Partly, I must admit, this was because all the cool survival kids seem to include fishing stuff in their kits. Largely, though, it is because (living in East Tennessee) I often find myself in places where I could fish if only I had some fishing gear with me. As I invariably end up thinking, "Dangit! I could fish if only I had some fishing gear with me," I decided that I wanted to avoid future disappointment by pretty much always having at least some fishing gear with me.

For my 'tackle box' I decided to re-purpose a plastic box that originally contained a wristwatch with a setup to convert it to a fob type watch (I love how, in the current social environment I can say 're-purpose' and it makes me sound like a responsible, environmentally conscious human being rather than simply a cheap b*st*rd who likes to reuse old junk rather than spending money on something new, when possible.) The box is only about 8 inches long by 4 inches wide and not very deep but I was able to put a lot of fishing gear in it. In fact, here is a pic of what I started out putting in it:

SpreadOut.jpg

The small filet knife wouldn't fit in the box if I left it in the leather sheath so I wrapped the blade in aluminum foil to protect the edge and to keep from cutting things I don't want cut. I also wrapped the rooster tails and lures, along with the small piece of styrofoam I used to coral them, in aluminum foil to help protect them, keep the hooks from sticking in other things and keep them organized and untangled. I ended up then slipping the package with the rooster tails and lures in the small, resealable plastic bag with the plastic lures as well as the small floats and assorted sinkers.

Spreadoutknifewrapped-1.jpg

I packed all that into the box then remembered that I had picked up a couple of packages of preserved wax worms recently. I figured one of those would be a nice addition.

BoxwithWaxWormsoutside001-1.jpg

I managed to pack those in there, too and was feeling pretty good about myself. That is, until I realized that I had forgotten to put in any fishing line. I had the line out but just forgot to re-spool it and put it in. For respooling, to make things more compact, I used a bobbin like one would use for a sewing machine. I had a partial spool of 8lb. test Spiderwire line and decided to use that. I put all the line that was remaining on that spool onto the bobbin - roughly 67 feet - and packed it into the box with everything else. Just to show how small a space 67 feet of fishing line can take up:

PackedBoxwithBobbinSideView-1.jpg

PackedBoxwithBobbinTopView.jpg

Now for other things I decided to put in my EDC bag. Under the front flap I have a small (mini) Maglight, my Buck multitool, an ink pen and a mini Bic lighter. I will be adding a few other things here, eventually:

photobucket-4351-1339530285808.jpg

I had a lot of the following stuff in the bag 'loose' or in resealable plastic bags but really wanted to organize it better so I ended up putting it into more rigid containers, mostly trying to group things with some semblance of reasoning. Right now, all of this is in my EDC bag:

photobucket-12713-1339530280363.jpg

To be a little more specific, some details of each container follow. First, the contents of the pre-packaged first aid kit:

photobucket-12709-1339530277635.jpg

To this, I added a few large bandages (larger than anything included in the kit) and a small package of quick clotting agent:

photobucket-4799-1339530288584.jpg

In another container, I have an instant cold pack, a bottle of acetaminophen, some Neosporin spray, a tube of oral anesthetic (basically the Walmart brand knock-off of Orajel or Ambesol), a self-adhesive wrap (sticks to itself so you don't have to pin down the end once it is wrapped around the injured limb) and a bottle of liquid bandage. I also plan to get some of the small, resealable plastic bags that folks use to organize their meds so that I can add a three day supply of my prescription meds into this container.

photobucket-4792-1339530278478.jpg

Now, I am certainly no paramedic. I have had some very basic first aid training but my Red Cross first aid certification has long since expired. Once again, like everything else in the bag, the purpose of these first aid supplies is more to deal with things I am likely to encounter on an everyday basis than to survive a disaster. That said, if called upon to survive a disaster, I figure I'd be a lot better off with these basic supplies than with nothing at all. Best of all is that, because I had quite a bit to spend from my FLEX account (money set aside pre-tax from my paycheck for medical expenses) and spent a lot of it on first aid supplies, I already had all of that stuff on hand.

That is not to say that I didn't put any emergency supplies into this bag. The contents of the next container include a few emergency supplies (like the emergency blanket and water purification tablets) as well as a few 'comfort' items:

photobucket-12707-1339530281302.jpg

All packed in like this (I decided to add another mini Bic after packing everything else in the container) :

photobucket-12490-1339530283063.jpg

I included about sixty feet from a spool of nylon cord that I had on hand but hope to eventually replace - or maybe supplement - that cord with some 550 paracord. For now, though, this is better than nothing and it can be unbraided if smaller thread/cord is needed. I also decided to include an assortment of rubber bands. The largest/heaviest of these rubber bands would probably work to help hold a rudimentary splint in place. I actually plan to try making a slingshot with those as the bands to see if that might be something that could work in an emergency. Of course, I'd have to practice target shooting with a slingshot to make that practical. Here is the cord with the type of rubber bands I included:

photobucket-12677-1339530283959.jpg

All packed nice and neat in a resealable plastic bag:

photobucket-12481-1339530287642.jpg

Last but not least, we must consider food. Again, I am not looking to this bag to provide food for a week or anything like that. Instead, I am thinking much more along the lines of the times I suddenly find that my blood sugar is crashing. I have non-insulin dependent diabetes and when my blood sugar gets too low I feel hot and clammy then start getting dizzy. For such occasions, for times I have to skip lunch, etc. or for times when I might just want a snack, I packed four Clif peanut butter energy bars and two candied peanut bars along with some fast acting glucose tablets into this container.

photobucket-669-1339530279421.jpg

Finally, in this resealable plastic bag I have some orange flavored, 'performance' water additive (Walmart' knockoff of Mio). I put in some packets of sucralose (generic Splenda) because I like sweet tea but have to order unsweetened. Many restaurants around here don't have Splenda and I hate Sweet and Low. The other thing here is a combo salt and pepper shaker - because I have had occasions when I have wished I had some salt and/or pepper and none was handy.

photobucket-11143-1339542332098.jpg

Now, I am sure I have included some things that seem pointless to some others. I have probably left out some things that others would include (and thoughts on that are welcome - just remember, this isn't intended as a true survival bag or bug out bag but more a 'preparedness for everyday possibilities with some emergency applications' bag.)

Edited by JAB

I have also ordered one of these for possible inclusion in the bag:

http://www.amazon.co...pen fishing rod

I'll test it out before deciding to include it in the bag. If it works well it will be something nice to have. Again, I really do quite often have times when I don't expect to have an opportunity to fish then end up wishing I had some fishing gear handy. It should be a fun thing for not a lot of money, at least.

I also plan to make one or two versions of the type of fishing setup the guy in this video is using:

[media=]

[/media]

Oh, and the reason there is nothing firearm related in the bag is that I plan to carry it everyday - including at work - and I can't have a firearm at work.

Edited by JAB
I, on the other hand, am of the school of thought that a 'real' man carries whatever he pleases.

Lol at this and very nice job on the bag. Looks well thought out. I'd consider this a Get Home Bag. Mine's not as organized, but it goes wherever I do.

I have never done an actual EDC bag, or at least not one that I would carry on my person everywhere, although I do keep a GHB (get home bag) in the truck, along with other assorted stuff like a roadside kit, FAK, spare gas can, bottled water, flashlght, tools, tarp, blanket, straps, etc.

Hey great setup! You put a lot of thought into it. One thing I would add to it, though is some sort of shelter. You could pick up a silnylon tarp or repurpose a rain fly from an old tent. Or you could add one of these. http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B003ZZY9CC

You also might want to have a system to cook with. A popcan stove with a small bottle of HEET, would not add a lot of weight to your kit at all. And lastly, if it were me, I'd go with a sturdier knife like the new Mora Robust. http://www.ragweedfo...ifeCatalog.html (third knife down and only $15 and weights in at 4 3/4 oz with sheath) Fillet knives are great for fish, but just not stiff enough for any real hard use. A Mora Robust would clean those fish just as good and baton through a 3" limb too.

Edited by Moped

Hey great setup! You put a lot of thought into it. One thing I would add to it, though is some sort of shelter. You could pick up a silnylon tarp or repurpose a rain fly from an old tent. Or you could add one of these. http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B003ZZY9CC

Good thought. I'd be more likely to put something like that in the vehicle kit I plan to put together, though.

You also might want to have a system to cook with. A popcan stove with a small bottle of HEET, would not add a lot of weight to your kit at all.

Also a good suggestion. Again, this (and a small mess kit) would be something I would certainly include in a vehicle kit.

And lastly, if it were me, I'd go with a sturdier knife like the new Mora Robust. http://www.ragweedfo...ifeCatalog.html (third knife down and only $15 and weights in at 4 3/4 oz with sheath) Fillet knives are great for fish, but just not stiff enough for any real hard use. A Mora Robust would clean those fish just as good and baton through a 3" limb too.

That is a nice looking knife. Mostly I just put the filet knife in there specifically for fish. I'd actually like to eventually get a heavy-ish folder to put in there for something of an all-purpose knife. Maybe something similar to the folding version of the Buck Omni Hunter. I want to carry this bag into work every day and my employer's rules aren't real keen on fixed blade knives (part of the reason I stashed the filet knife deep in the fishing kit.) That is why I will probably go with a folder for this bag. It wouldn't have to specifically be an Omni Hunter - that is just the style I am thinking of with its robust looking blade, etc. - any robust folder with a legal blade length would be fine and if I can find something of pretty good quality that is even less expensive than an Omni Hunter that would be a bonus. I am going to have to get a Mora knife one of these days, though, just because they are so inexpensive and I have heard such good things about them.

Edited by JAB

Very similar to my EDC. I also have a mess kit, a 5 hour energy shot, and trash bags in mine.

I've thought about trash bags. I could probably stash a few in the plastic bag with the rubber bands, etc. without adding any real bulk, weight, etc. Some of the stronger types like Hefty Force Flex and the like would probably be sturdy enough that, in the larger sizes, they could even meet the shelter material need that Moped mentioned.

Edited by JAB

Thanks for the comments, guys, and keep the suggestions coming.

Also, yesterday evening I finally got around to putting together a couple of those fishing setups similar to the one in the YouTube video I posted. I'll start a new thread for that, though.

Might also want to toss in one of those Aquamira straws. I didn't notice one in your bag, or water purification of any sort but I might have missed it.

I've got some chlorine dioxide tablets that are supposed to work for viruses, bacteria and cysts. 20 in a pack and each tab is supposed to treat one quart. The box says they need 4 hours treat time for maximum effectiveness, though. Easy to overlook in the posts - they are in the container with the emergency ("space") blanket, etc. I will likely add one of the water filtration straws to remove physical impurities, too, at some point.

ETA: I just looked up the Aquamira Emergency Water System and was surprised to see the price listed at only $11.95. I thought they were much, much more expensive than that. I'll probably get one sooner rather than later as the straw would be great for taking a quick drink of water on the move while the tabs could be reserved for when there is more time to treat water.

Edited by JAB

JAB, I have the same problem with my employer. They are very safety consious and very anti weapons. I've been questioned a couple of times about my posket knives. So I completely understand! I just picked up a very robust folder by Ontario Knife Company; the RAT 1. I've been very impressed with it! Very solid lockup!!! I think the Knife was designed for Ontario by the people that bring you ESEE knives. Mike Perrin, here in the Knoxville area, is one of them. I've been hugely impressed with mine! I would also pick up a multi-tool or a SAK of some sort. I perfer Leatherman, for the multi-tool and the SAK Farmer. It's not heavy on tools, but it's really all you need!

That shelter I referenced, is actually pretty small and of minimal weight, too.

Guest Scramasax

Well put together kit. There are always things that you can add and things that you forget. I've carried An E&E bag with me for most of my life. Was inspired and modeled my first one from WWII pow and pilot aviator escape kits. Used to carry a "popeel" pocket fisherman and used it quite a lot. I'm now working on a new modular kit and hope to put it on Oleg Volk's blog. Driving a pickup truck I can carry a lot of gear. I'm moderately disabled now, pacemaker and t1d, so cannot carry large loads or move fare fast on my own. The mind is willing but the body is weak. Still don't believe in giving up. Several other things I recommend to add are a compass, map of your city, collapsing water bladder, one or two small C clamps, duct tape, small pry bar, 550 cord, one or two snap lights, and a small pry bar. also rule of thumb for cavers is three sources of light. If you are in a building you are in a man made cave. The list can go on and on to the point of needing a pack mule. So I am just making suggestions. That is why I have modular kits to add or subtract. Oops forgot zip ties.

Just like finding the perfect knife, the possibles bag is an ever changing quest.

Watch your top knot.

ts

I would also pick up a multi-tool or a SAK of some sort. I perfer Leatherman, for the multi-tool and the SAK Farmer. It's not heavy on tools, but it's really all you need!

Thanks for more suggestions. I have a Buck multitool in one of the front pockets of the bag. I also carry a SAK in my pocket on a daily basis. In fact, on my person I pretty much daily carry that SAK plus a Kershaw Crown and a Myerco Necklance (small enough that it hopefully wouldn't upset my employers too much - plus it stays hidden under my shirt, anyway.) I have a Cold Steel Mini-Tac Skinner that often takes the place of the Necklance on weekends but it is a little more bulky/heavy than the Myerco. The SAK I am currently carrying is a Tinker model but am interested in getting one of the one-handed opening versions of the Forester model.

• Like 1

Well put together kit. There are always things that you can add and things that you forget. I've carried An E&E bag with me for most of my life. Was inspired and modeled my first one from WWII pow and pilot aviator escape kits. Used to carry a "popeel" pocket fisherman and used it quite a lot. I'm now working on a new modular kit and hope to put it on Oleg Volk's blog. Driving a pickup truck I can carry a lot of gear. I'm moderately disabled now, pacemaker and t1d, so cannot carry large loads or move fare fast on my own. The mind is willing but the body is weak. Still don't believe in giving up. Several other things I recommend to add are a compass, map of your city, collapsing water bladder, one or two small C clamps, duct tape, small pry bar, 550 cord, one or two snap lights, and a small pry bar. also rule of thumb for cavers is three sources of light. If you are in a building you are in a man made cave. The list can go on and on to the point of needing a pack mule. So I am just making suggestions. That is why I have modular kits to add or subtract. Oops forgot zip ties.

Just like finding the perfect knife, the possibles bag is an ever changing quest.

Watch your top knot.

ts

I am going to have to keep a lot of the stuff you mentioned in mind for the vehicle bag, certainly. I do need to put some duct tape in the EDC bag. I'm planning to copy a lot of guys who roll a length of the tape off and just fold it up flat.

As for light sources, some of the people who know me know that I am a flashlight junkie. I hate being without light plus there is just something fascinating about the different flashlight designs, etc. Right now, I pocket carry an iNova X1, have an Energizer single LED keychain light on my keys and have an app (called TeslaLED) for my Droid Bionic cell phone that lets me use the built in LED camera flash as a flashlight. That sucker is pretty bright and the app even has options for constant on, strobe (you can set the rate), signaling (type in SOS or other, brief message and the phone will signal it for you), momentary switch and timer off. With the mini Mag that is in my bag, I guess that gives me four light sources if you don't count the mini BIc lighters and the emergency candles (I want to pick up one of those super-cheap lanterns that are intended for use with the emergency candles but all I have found lately are the more expensive ones.)

The building where I work has a lot of windows. In fact, most rooms have windows. We also have emergency lights that stay on in event of a power outage. That said, for some reason there are no emergency lights in the men's room. If the power goes out, it is pitch dark in there. Too dark to even find the urinal or get into a stall. Having a pocket flashlight has come in handy more than once in such circumstances, already.

Edited by JAB