357 sig ..

Sam1

decided I wnt a 357 sig, something with roughly a 3.5" barrel, or in a smaller frame than the service models. Really liked the p229 model, but it was around $1000 for whichever one it was and as much as i hate to say it, that glock (think it was a 33) also fit my hand well and it was only about $500. We have a bunch of 45's & those are my favorite calibers, but we just wanted to try something different.

Can anyone give any input on either of those, or even another brand? We love our XD's, but was told they only sell this caliber in a service model which is too big for what I want.

There's a pretty good deal on a 239 in the classifieds here. Your right about the XD 357 Sigs in the service calibers only. Do you have anything thing that can take take a 357Sig barrel? To me that is the way to go.

Sam:_____________

The glock 33 dragged me from the world of steel and walnut (...colt 1911's and smiths...) to the world of polymer. I wuz lookin for a smaller carry gun and an old buddy of mine asked me to try the glock 33 and made me a great deal on it. The little glock shoots as well as any firearm ive owned (..i think, due to the combination of the good build quality, bottleneck cartridge design, and relatively high chamber pressures of the 357 sig....). I'm an old handloader, and my handloads will clock out of this little pistol at an honest 1275 fps. I can say that the 357 sig is, in fact, what the 9 mm was touted to be when the push to 9mm push happened in the eighties.

I carry this little pistol in an allen miller (...kholster...) pocket holster. It fits in the hip pocket of my carhartt dungarees. I tend to wear my clothes loose; so a tee shirt can cover up the top of the pocket. I also have an iwb holster for it; but i tend not to like them. I simply cant get comfortable wearing them. Also got a d m bullard owb that i use and it works fine because it carrys the pistol high, kinda like ya would a 1911. An untucked shirt will cover it right up.

All in all, the glock is as good a carry pistol as ive owned; and it packs a helluva punch with plenty of ammo to boot. I thinks they are the ultimate reasonably priced carry pistol.

Now for the downside. That downside is width. Since the glock is a double stack, it, like me, is a bit fat and blocky. A single stack (...like the walther pps...) is (...in my opinion...) the ultimate carry gun of this type. The problem with the walther is that it's pricy. The new SW M & P single stack may solve this problem. I also like the less expensive kahr; but both of these pistols are either 9 mm or 40 (...which i like, by the way. Got a glock 27 too...).

Hope this helps a bit. If you are a gun affectionado (...i suspect you are...); i heartily recommend the glock 33. Its a great thing, especially if ya handload.

PS -I like the sigs too. I think they cost too much new though. Just call me "skinflint".

Let us know what ya decide.

leroy

I have a P229 and a Glock 33 in 357 sig. The P229 due to more weight has less felt recoil and is very accurate. The G33 has more recoil but managable. It is very accurate. The G33 due to it's size and stopping power is one of my conceal carry guns in a Crossbreed super-tuck at 4:00. I reload 124g bullets at 1200 fps.

I've had some interest in this caliber for awhile. Since I have a Gen4 G23, I will probably just get a barrel (if one is available). From what little I've looked into it, I will probably tool up to reload it if I make the leap. I was always a fan of the .357 magnum back in my wheel gun days.

• Like 1

I love the round myself however, I figured that I can get near the same performance from a 9mm +p or +p+ (depending on load) and have the ability to shoot the cheaper 9mm target loads. Only reason I don't have a 357 SIG anymore. Just a thought.

Edited by Smith

I love the round myself however, I figured that I can get near the same performance from a 9mm +p or +p+ (depending on load) and have the ability to shoot the cheaper 9mm target loads. Only reason I don't have a 357 SIG anymore. Just a thought.

That's one of the reasons it hasn't reached "gotta have" status with me. Besides, I've been into big and slow lately :pleased:

Thanks there's some good info here, and after talking with the wife I think we may get a good 9mm. The plan was to just keep the 357 as a daily carry, but she reminded me there's nothing in the house that just sits around and 9mm ammo is dirt cheap.

Also wasn't aware some of those +p+ rounds were that close to the lighter 357's. It makes sense just from an availability and expense view to go the 9mm route.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I have a G33 that is very accurate. I love it except for the price on ammo.

I don't reload so I shoot mine very little. I can shoot the G33 better than any of the other SubCompact Glocks I've shot.

I've thought about buying a 9mm barrel for it so I can shoot it more.

I will say that in my opinion , the 357Sig is over exaggerated.

So if you are buying it only off the fact of it being a "fast" round. I'd look at something else. Cheaper to shoot.....

Edited by TnShooter83

decided I wnt a 357 sig, something with roughly a 3.5" barrel, or in a smaller frame than the service models. Really liked the p229 model, but it was around $1000 for whichever one it was and as much as i hate to say it, that glock (think it was a 33) also fit my hand well and it was only about $500. We have a bunch of 45's & those are my favorite calibers, but we just wanted to try something different.

Can anyone give any input on either of those, or even another brand? We love our XD's, but was told they only sell this caliber in a service model which is too big for what I want.

I'm late to the thread but I do know that there's a lot of P229 9mm models that go on sale (if you're still into the P229 and love the feel and trigger)

Edited by wcsc12

Need the input of the dirty Glock lovers...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS141-1.html

Considering that Glock 33 again, because of that site above. Now the question I have (because I don't understand the models of these things)... Does the 33 come in one size only, or are there compacts, subs and service models each named a 33? If this thing can go from a 357 to a 40 with a barrel swap, and can go to a 9mm with a barrel and magazine swap, I think this is what we're going with.

Need the input of the dirty Glock lovers...

http://www.cheaperth...m/GNS141-1.html

Considering that Glock 33 again, because of that site above. Now the question I have (because I don't understand the models of these things)... Does the 33 come in one size only, or are there compacts, subs and service models each named a 33? If this thing can go from a 357 to a 40 with a barrel swap, and can go to a 9mm with a barrel and magazine swap, I think this is what we're going with.

http://www.glock.com...ish/glock33.htm

The Glock G33 is a subcompact Glock chambered in .357 sig. This just means that you can still use your same Glock and convert it over to 9mm just by replacing the barrel and the magazine.

There are 3 models of Glocks chambered in .357 Sig.

G31 - Full Size

G32 - Compact

G33 - Subcompact

But yes...so I've been reading, you can drop in a .40 barrel and use the same magazines for the ammo and with 9mm just drop in the new barrel and then use the 9mm magazine.

Edited by wcsc12

Just to clarify, Guns chambered in .40 can usually be barrel swapped to .357 or 9mm but a .357 can only swap to 9mm NOT up to .40 and 9mm can only be 9mm.

Reason being is that the hole in the end of the slide of a .40 has clearance. A conversion barrel is a little thicker to fill the gap. A .357/9mm slide is too small to accommodate the larger diameter of .40

Edited by Smith

G23 and G32...

G23-G32.jpg

those look to be different sizes, but the tech data on their site says the dimensions are the same. The only difference is the weight and the rifling twist.

That site I posted was for an aftermarket barrel specifically for using 9mm in the 40's or 357's

Edited by Sam1