Disarmed when stopped by the police?

Have you been disarmed after a LEO knew you were armed?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been disarmed after a LEO knew you were armed?

• Yes - He just sat it aside
    • Yes - He unloaded it and sat it aside
    • No - He just asked where my gun was
    • No - He just "Ok" and didn't ask about or mention it any further
    • No - and a conversation about guns/RKBA began.

This thread is NOT about whether to voluntarily handover your HCP or not, that has been discussed in several other threads.

What I am curious about is those times when you have interacted with a LEO and he knew you were armed, did he disarm you or not.

The law says he can disarm you if he feel it reasonable necessary for the safety of the officer, the HCP holder or the public.

On other boards I have heard many stories of a LEO disarming someone, but not sure I remember any threads on here about someone being disarmed.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steelharp

I shudder to think of where he might hide that big-ass revolver... doesn't he have a thread going about "liking it up the butt" on here, anyway? :up::up:

I shudder to think of where he might hide that big-ass revolver... doesn't he have a thread going about "liking it up the butt" on here, anyway? :up::up:

No joke. It's literally an ass revolver, custom made to fit the ass.

Guest canynracer

happened 2 weeks ago, I did not get disarmed, in fact, we spoke about the M&P cause he was thinking about getting one (no, he did not want to see it out of the holster.) He thought it was great that I am armed, then he told me to slow down cause a car is just as much of a responsibility...we both chuckled, I was on my way. cool cop actually...

Been stopped one time. I told him I had permit and weapon. He asked me where it was. I told him on my waist. He thanked me for telling him and that was the last think mentioned about the gun. Could not have gone better except for the ticket.

I've been pulled over several times over the last few years, but also had a couple of other interactions with the police (not because of anything I did). I've never been disarmed or even had a situation where the cop acted like it was even an issue.

Guest 270win

I was in a minor accident in Fayetteville, Arkansas a few years ago before getting my Concealed Handgun License and told the city officer that I had a Glock in the console of my car (I did not know if i would need to retrieve it so thought better warn him upfront instead of him seeing someone getting a gun out of the console). The officer thanked me and told me the handgun is fine in the console. I was legal without a license in Arkansas because I was traveling from Fayetteville, AR to Little Rock.

I never was stopped in AR after getting my CHL. I have been stopped in TN when i switched my CHL to a handgun carry permit and never was questioned if i was armed after the police run my driver license. The police have been very curteous after running my DL. I have my DL, car registration, and insurance, and hands visible, dome light on at night, and car turned off while the police are getting prepared to walk up to my car. I did that way before getting a concealed handgun license and it helps reduce problems on the side of the road.

Guest jackdog

been pulled over four times, never got a citation and the leo's were very cool with me carrying. ( tail light out 2 times , yellow light once speeding once)

It's good to see by the poll that apparently most LEOs don't see the armed citizen as a threat in general anymore. This was not always the case back in the early days of the HCP program.

I did notice on all three times where the HCP holder was disarmed the LEO also unloaded the weapon. I wonder if this was simply safe handling of the weapon or for some other reason. I also can't help but to wonder if he truly felt his, your or the publics safety was in danger though. But apparently these things are the exception and not the rule.

Stopped once, was asked where it was at (right strong side) and

was told to please keep my hands on the wheel. Got a traffic ticket

and the police officer wrote "VERY polite." at the bottom. Judge dismissed it.

Been pulled over about five other times. Always hand them my DL and HCP

without being asked... those guys never asked me anything about my weapon

or where it was. Those five times I was cut loose with no ticket.

(I have had my HCP for about 14 years now.)

been dis-armed and unloaded twice. i dont mind that. what i am very un happy about is the officers trying to tell me HOW to carry. they dont seem to be knowledgeable of cocked and locked or open carry in tn.

hey jughead I think it has to do with where you're at. A friend of mine got pulled over on 27S in the redbank area by a highway patrol officer. The office took his gun and unloaded it. Of course the best part was that he was trying to tell my friend that even though he had a ccw permit it was illegal to have a loaded gun within arms reach. Needless to say my friend sad that is not correct and the officer backed down.

I have had my permit for over 8 years and have been pulled over several time and I tell them I have a HCP and they just asked where it is, and thats it, but once when I went to Alabama my tag had fallen off the back of car and I was pulled over by a State Trooper I told him I had a carry permit and I was carrying, he asked where was it, and then told me to hand it to him by holding two fingers on the butt of gun. He unloaded it (.357mag.) handed the gun back to me, wrote me a warning and handed my rounds back to me and away I went.

Guest Phantom6

I was driving a truck similar to one seen leaving a looted house. I had my wallet in one hand and both hands at the 12 o'clock position on my steering wheel. I used to keep my permit behind my DL and he caught a glimps of it and inquired. I gave him the permit and told him I was armed. He asked me to disarm so I handed over my XD to him, then my .38 revolver, then my .32 Seecamp. About that time my wife spoke up and said that she too had a permit and was armed. She then began to hand over her .38 revolver and her .32 Beretta Tomcat and the P22 from out of the glove box. I had to hold my wife's guns for him as he was still juggling mine when I suggested to him that since they were all hot he should probably put 'em down on the hood of his cruiser. When he returned I handed out the wife's guns to him which he took back to the hood of his car. The poor boy looked absolutely dumb-founded by all the guns. He started trying to clear the pistols but apparantly decided that clearing six guns was going to be more trouble than it was worth unless he had a couple of real desperados on his hands. After a quick ID check clearing us of suspision he told us to exit our vehicle and retrieve our pistols from the hood of his car. Then he asked for a training application for his neice and she was in our next carry permit class. :slap:

Lesson learned: NEVER keep your permit behind your TNDL. It would have probably saved about 15 minutes if we had not had to go through all of that. On the other hand I might not have gotten a student out of the deal. Then again having the officer juggling my and my wife's guns outside my door, though rather funny looking could have ended badly had he started to drop one and try to catch it so I NEVER have my permit located anywhere near my TNDL. My motto is "no askie- no tellie"(unless forced to by circumstance). That way nobody's heart rate is adversely affected over nothing. :D

Funny Story Phantom. Just a couple of weeks ago I was pulled over by Metro for expired tags during rush hour. When the officer arrived at my door, I had my DL, HCP, Registration and Insurance card out and handed it to him. I told him I was aware my tags had expired and informed him I was taking it for service and that the vehicle was being Sold the next day. The officer was extremely courteous but the strange thing was his comment upon looking at my HCP. He said "I've got one of these too." I did not inquire further but why does he need a HCP? I thought LEO's could always carry whether on duty or not.

Funny Story Phantom. Just a couple of weeks ago I was pulled over by Metro for expired tags during rush hour. When the officer arrived at my door, I had my DL, HCP, Registration and Insurance card out and handed it to him. I told him I was aware my tags had expired and informed him I was taking it for service and that the vehicle was being Sold the next day. The officer was extremely courteous but the strange thing was his comment upon looking at my HCP. He said "I've got one of these too." I did not inquire further but why does he need a HCP? I thought LEO's could always carry whether on duty or not.

In Metro there is some benefit to officers having one. Had someone tell me the other day and I cannot remember what it was. Possibly if you have one you can whatever you want off duty. If not then you are limited to dept approved weapons.

Yea they are limited to what they can carry thru the Metro Dept. Commision. There is only a few guns that are approved. Glock 40's, Keltec 380, SW 38 special... and thats about it from the last word I heard. If you are carrying anything else then Metro wouldnt stand behind them if they get involved in a shooting. Actually they were told if they are carrying anything besides a Dept approved weapon they arent allowed to use their police powers... and thats bs IMHO. So most just go ahead and get their civilian permit so they can carry whatever they want. At least the smart ones do.

My wife and I have had our HCP for several years. The only time it came up was in a general traffic stop on Boy Scout Rd and the THP Officer saw my permit after handing him my DL. He was concerned that I had 2 DLs but was OK once he learned it was a HCP. He didn't say a thing about not being seat belted but I guess that's because we were on the Harley. :) I had forgotten about that until I came across this thread.

Mark

Guest Phantom6
well it looks like so far the 92% of the posters that have responded have had some what positive encounters dealing with LEO. Interesting.

I believe that the bulk of the LEO fraternity has no problem with gun carry by HGCP holders.