Taking PayPal as payment for guns

Do you guys see any issues with this. I have in the past used paypal to pay for guns and take payment for guns from private parties. I don't see any issues with it, but some others i have talked to have been hesitant. What do you guys think, would you take payment for a handgun or longun with paypal. They even have apps to do it right there on the spot after checking out a gun.

** Edit **

Sorry, i think i wrote it wrong and everyone is misunderstanding. I'll give a scenerio that i did probably 2 weeks ago. Listed my handgun on armslist. Guy was interested, met up and did a FTF. He checked out the gun, asked if i would take paypal. I then told him if he sent it right then as a gift (to avoid fees on my end, and also its not considered a payment) After it was done, i verified it on my phone, got the confirmation email and checked my balance. Everything good to go. I wasn't talking about winning an auction or somthing online or just sending money to someone hoping they send the firearm. Hope that clears stuff up I wouldn't hesistate taking payment like this again, it was fast and easy. Just wanted to know what you guys thought.

Danny

Edited by DannyP
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PayPal is very anti-gun, and I believe using it to purchase firearms is against their TOS. They usually allow you to use them for accessories, but I have seen people get their PayPal accounts (and the money in them) locked for selling firearms. They finally got their money out, but it took a while.

Well there is a very simple solution of not telling paypal it's for a gun.

That's all fine and dandy, as long as the person on the other end of the transaction is also on board with that. I have seen many sellers tell them to be discrete with the PayPal transaction, only to have the person put "for AK-47" or something similar in the description section.

From stories I have read from multiple people on the web, if Pay Pal figures out that you have used your account to send or receive money for prohibited items, firearms included, they will lock your account and you will have one heck of a time getting your money if any is still in your account. They are such sticklers that when I started using Pay Pal for my holster business, they locked my account for a few days until they could confirm that I did not sell firearms (I have pictures of firearms on my website for product demonstration). I wish there was another alternative for accepting secure CC payments. I almost switched to Gun Pal (aka GPal). Glad I didn't get caught up in that fiasco.

In any case, if you think that Pay Pal won't figure it out, go ahead, but know they do actively search for transactions (including keywords and I have also heard auction numbers from Gun Broker). If you get caught, it's a guaranteed ban from Pay Pal and you may lose your funds.

• Moderators

I won't use PayPal for payment for firearms because it violates their TOS. That means that if the deal goes south then the PayPal buyer protections are not applicable and I can be out of money, product or both. No thanks.

Sorry, i think i wrote it wrong and everyone is misunderstanding. I'll give a scenerio that i did probably 2 weeks ago. Listed my handgun on armslist. Guy was interested, met up and did a FTF. He checked out the gun, asked if i would take paypal. I then told him if he sent it right then as a gift (to avoid fees on my end, and also its not considered a payment) After it was done, i verified it on my phone, got the confirmation email and checked my balance. Everything good to go. I wasn't talking about winning an auction or somthing online or just sending money to someone hoping they send the firearm. Hope that clears stuff up I wouldn't hesistate taking payment like this again, it was fast and easy. Just wanted to know what you guys thought and if anyone else has done this before.

Danny

Sorry, i think i wrote it wrong and everyone is misunderstanding. I'll give a scenerio that i did probably 2 weeks ago. Listed my handgun on armslist. Guy was interested, met up and did a FTF. He checked out the gun, asked if i would take paypal. I then told him if he sent it right then as a gift (to avoid fees on my end, and also its not considered a payment) After it was done, i verified it on my phone, got the confirmation email and checked my balance. Everything good to go. I wasn't talking about winning an auction or somthing online or just sending money to someone hoping they send the firearm. Hope that clears stuff up I wouldn't hesistate taking payment like this again, it was fast and easy. Just wanted to know what you guys thought and if anyone else has done this before.

Danny

That really doesn't change anything. You still risk your account and money if PayPal finds out you are using it to buy/sell firearms. But, hey, it's your money.

Danny

There are all fast & easy until something goes wrong and PayPal gets involved. There are plenty of people that have stories of being ripped off using PayPal; I have mine and I wasn’t doing anything in violation of their terms.

I don’t think any of us misunderstood. You violated their terms on firearms, you dodged fees by being untruthful about a purchase, and you want to know if anything can go wrong. Yes, if for any reason the buyer didn’t like the deal he could complain and they could freeze your account and not send you the money.

From stories I have read from multiple people on the web, if Pay Pal figures out that you have used your account to send or receive money for prohibited items, firearms included, they will lock your account and you will have one heck of a time getting your money if any is still in your account. They are such sticklers that when I started using Pay Pal for my holster business, they locked my account for a few days until they could confirm that I did not sell firearms (I have pictures of firearms on my website for product demonstration). I wish there was another alternative for accepting secure CC payments. I almost switched to Gun Pal (aka GPal). Glad I didn't get caught up in that fiasco.

In any case, if you think that Pay Pal won't figure it out, go ahead, but know they do actively search for transactions (including keywords and I have also heard auction numbers from Gun Broker). If you get caught, it's a guaranteed ban from Pay Pal and you may lose your funds.

I don't know for sure, but you might look into https://www.payza.com/

I've used them for a couple things, but not to receive CC payments. Fees are pretty steep for some things too if you have a Personal Starter account, which is what I use. It's probably different for some of the paid accounts.

Will

Guest HankRearden

FTF transaction? Why didn't the buyer come prepared with cash?

Sorry but violating the TOS, supporting an anti gun company and the all the drama that can happen with something like this is not worth the stretch and sounds hinky.

Bring cash or work out another form of payment before the meet (gold, silver, check etc.)

There is a PayPal alterntative that I know several attorneys use. It is called Square and a downloadable app. I know a few other people that use this in lieu of PayPal for all sorts of personal transactions (mostly service type stuff like lawn cutting etc.) I have no idea what the TOS is in terms of firearms.

I really hate PayPal; I've use it on occasion (mostly to make payments) but I try to avoid it.

That said, I don't know that I'd ever do a FTF transaction unless it was in cash - I would think that case is pretty much expected if you are doing a FTF sale.

One option if you do a lot of buying/trading, etc, is that there are adapters for smart phones that let you swipe a card right from your phone - of course, it wouldn't be worth the hassle and cost unless you used it a lot but it is an option.

If

Prob remains that buyer has no recourse if he's ripped off.

- OS

Buyer wouldn't have any recourse if he bought the gun with cash and left the area. A person would use this option i'm guessing if he didn't have $700 cash and wanted to pay it on an attached credit card.

Danny

If

Buyer wouldn't have any recourse if he bought the gun with cash and left the area. A person would use this option i'm guessing if he didn't have $700 cash and wanted to pay it on an attached credit card.

Danny

I was assuming that PayPal would be used for a shipped item, not face to face.

More thinking about simply not getting the gun at all.

I agree that FTF transactions between individuals require cash, or forget it.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest nicemac

paypal money sent as GIFT/CASH shows no items being sold.....Its the only way to send money and its FREE

The terms of service is something you agree to, well, to use the service. If it violates the terms of service, you shouldn't do it-if you do, you just reneged on your part of the agreement.

If both parties agree to categorize the transaction as a gift and it is really for a purchase, you both just lied.

If you can't trust someone with the small stuff, you can't trust them. Period.

The terms of service is something you agree to, well, to use the service. If it violates the terms of service, you shouldn't do it-if you do, you just reneged on your part of the agreement.

If both parties agree to categorize the transaction as a gift and it is really for a purchase, you both just lied.

If you can't trust someone with the small stuff, you can't trust them. Period.

thats your take on it I would disagree with you - sending cash is just that ,it has zero bearing on TOS

and the only thing you would use paypal for is for a recourse or help getting moneys refunded if you

got hosed over buy a seller and marked it as GOODS SOLD and believe me paypal does a shooddy job of that......Cash transactions do not

get the benefit of the paypal help if you get screwed .......but I have never been screwed by a gunner,even when I mailed a check

Edited by SonnyCrockett

thats your take on it I would disagree with you - sending cash is just that ,it has zero bearing on TOS

and the only thing you would use paypal for is for a recourse or help getting moneys refunded if you

got hosed over buy a seller and marked it as GOODS SOLD and believe me paypal does a shooddy job of that......Cash transactions do not

get the benefit of the paypal help if you get screwed .......but I have never been screwed by a gunner,even when I mailed a check

Pretty much how i look at it. I would still take payment as a gift through paypal.

Danny