Started a canoe build last night.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to a hobby store and buy a jar of glitter to mix into the resin :rofl:

No, I don't think I'd go sparkly, but you do what turns you on.

I hate glitter and anything sparkly.

Have a respirator that I use just for that purpose and for welding.

Edited by gjohnsoniv
Guest Scramasax

Good luck. It will make a nice flat water boat. Won't be as noisy as an aluminium boat either. I built a strip canoe quite a few years ago. Wasn't that hard even being OCD. Then let someone talk me into selling it. Can't paddle anymore but wish I still had it to give the kids.

Cheers,

ts

Neat. I had an idea to build a small boat that would fit in the back of my truck, but considering I have a short wheel base ranger and I am not a good carpenter I figured it was not a good idea. I thought I had a few good ideas but still didn't think I could pull it off.

• Admin Team

If the canoe doesn't work out, try a One Sheet Skiff, built as it sounds from one sheet of plywood. We built several recently with some kids for about $30 each.

We did them in a day, but had some pretty accomplished builders who could tack these together in their sleep. You could definitely straight face it in a weekend.

If the canoe doesn't work out, try a One Sheet Skiff, built as it sounds from one sheet of plywood. We built several recently with some kids for about $30 each.

We did them in a day, but had some pretty accomplished builders who could tack these together in their sleep. You could definitely straight face it in a weekend.

We were considering doing some kind of class for different age groups where I work and boat building came up. I had actually forgotten about that one. Might have to look into it. Edited by gjohnsoniv

You mean like this?

redneck.jpg

• Admin Team

That's one sheet of 3/8 marine grade birch, some douglas fir for the brightwork and a couple of 2x6s for the oars. They put some closed cell foam under the seats for floatation since it was going to be a kids' boat. A $10 20ft roll of fiberglass tape from Home Depot will get you all the tape you need. Likewise, these guys had the fir laying around from another project. Pine, poplar or anything else you can get your hands on will work for a boat that's less than $100 all in.

Might be kinda fun to slap a low horsepower motor on it, but that would have to be registered wouldn't it?

That might be another project or something to do with the Boy Scout troop I was with.

Edited by gjohnsoniv
  • Admin Team

You'd overpower it. It would immediately try to plane, and those boats don't have enough freeboard to avoid taking on water as it pushes through the transition.

You could put a trolling motor on it. The prop on most of those will ensure that you don't exceed about 5 knots. And, with the size of this boat, you could push it all day with a trolling motor.

Edited by MacGyver

Didn't think about that. At the house I have/had a 3 or 4 horse gas boat motor. Not sure if it was for trolling or something else, and the guy who gave it to me I don't think knew either. In any case that's what I was thinking about.