Carry Permit test in TN

I got my first gun and In a couple months I want to go try and get my Permit to carry. Just wondering how hard the test is going to be and what type of questions are on the test. Also when it comes to the shooting part does everyone get their own instructor or does 1 guys teach everyone as a group? I just wanna know what to expect going in. I like to be prepaired for tests. lol

It depends on where you take it what kind of instructor you get. I don't have any reccomendations in your area but i'm sure someone will be along shortly. The shooting portion of the test is VERY simple. If you have any firearms knowledge at all you will be fine. My wife passed it without ever firing a hangun before. I worked with her on the grip and then did some dryfiring before the test just to be prepared. She shot 100%. I would reccomend taking the course with a .22 or similar just to keep cost down. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Guest nowheretobefound

Jesse,

Carry permit classes here in Tennessee are basically a way for the state to make money, nothing more. Unless you are as dumb as a bag of hammers you will have no trouble passing. Severely vision hampered, feeble grandmothers with St. Vitas Dance will usually pass the test both written and shooting.

If you are an “A†type personality you can pick up the paperback “The Basics of Pistol Shooting†from the NRA, all the test questions are formulated from that publication.

If you’re still worried in any way pm me and I’ll try and help to ease your mind as I was one of several individuals that edited and compiled the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course back in 1991 and the NRA Trainer’s Guide in 2000.

Guest adurbin

Yep. "so easy, a caveman could do it". Had two in the class that my wife and I took that had never touched a forearm prior to that day, and passed with flying colors.

Jesse,

Carry permit classes here in Tennessee are basically a way for the state to make money, nothing more. Unless you are as dumb as a bag of hammers you will have no trouble passing. Severely vision hampered, feeble grandmothers with St. Vitas Dance will usually pass the test both written and shooting.

If you are an “A†type personality you can pick up the paperback “The Basics of Pistol Shooting†from the NRA, all the test questions are formulated from that publication.

If you’re still worried in any way pm me and I’ll try and help to ease your mind as I was one of several individuals that edited and compiled the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course back in 1991 and the NRA Trainer’s Guide in 2000.

is that book still current with todays rules?

Took mine last Sunday at Guns and Leather in Greenbriar for 65 bucks. Great instructor. There is a 30 question test followed by the shooting test. You go in groups of 5. You shoot 48 rounds total. You shoot groups of 6 bullets at a time at distances of 9 feet, 21 feet, and 45 feet. I believe you have to hit 37 out of the 48 on the silhouette. Pretty easy class but yes people do fail the class. People also accidentally shoot the table you sign the waver on, shoot the vending machines, one guy even shot his own car in the parking lot on accident. The class is "easy" but still very dangerous at the same time. You have very inexperienced people handling live firearms.

Dang, i need to find a new place to take the test. On Target in Murf chargers $110 $65 sounds better.

you guys think my new ruger p95 will be accurate enough for the shooting test at 45 feet?

I forgot to ask is the written test multiable choices or actual written tests?

Edited by Jesse
Guest bkelm18

Dang, i need to find a new place to take the test. On Target in Murf chargers $110 $65 sounds better.

you guys think my new ruger p95 will be accurate enough for the shooting test at 45 feet?

Multiple choice.

Seriously, stop worrying. Your gun is plenty accurate. The target is a huge silhouette and as long as your shot hits black, it counts.

I believe you only shoot 2 groups of 6 at 45 feet. Like was stated above, the target is a huge silhouette. There are true/false and multiple choice questions on the test. OnTarget is a pricy place and I believe the better if not best deal around might be Guns and Leather in Greenbriar for 65 bucks.

My written test was both multiple and t/f questions. VERY simple.

I used my S&W M&P9c to qualify so the Ruger you have should be fine. It all depends on how you aim. Try to go to the range and test your ability to hit a target that far out, the aim techniques and so forth. Then when you get there for your testing you'll be calm. I would do as mentioned above if you have the ability, use a 22. Several people used one in my class. It's like using a moped/scooter for your motorcycle test, just makes it easier.

But don't worry about the course in whole itself, it's easy as easy can be. When it was over I was thinking that I had to do this and pay for this to get my permit - what a joke.

If you was close to me it could be done for $75. I'm sure you can find a course for that price close to you somewhere.

Good luck.

We had a guy with a big, shiny 1911 trying to show off his skills with a gun. He was going for head shots and even at 21ft he was missing. He did pass but showed everyone there that he wasn't as good as he thought that he was!

Shoot for center mass.

Guest nowheretobefound

is that book still current with todays rules?

Not quite sure what you mean by "rules" but yes the NRA paperback will give you all the basics (sic) to pass the wrtitten test. I know some instructors that put in info i.e. "when a threat is over" etc. but that is usually for info discussion not part of the written test.

Listen to everyone hear....no need at all to worry!

Let me add the most important thing is to practice, do drills, work-work-work on your skills if you plan to carry.

Edited by nowheretobefound

I got my first gun and In a couple months I want to go try and get my Permit to carry. Just wondering how hard the test is going to be and what type of questions are on the test. Also when it comes to the shooting part does everyone get their own instructor or does 1 guys teach everyone as a group? I just wanna know what to expect going in. I like to be prepaired for tests. lol

As many have said the class is very easy... If you can fog up a mirror you're going to pass.... It's nothing more than corporate welfare for ranges and instructors...

The fact is I've seen guys how are blindfolded pass the shooting test, and far less than 1% of the people who take the class fail...

All that time and money wasted to stop some fraction of 1% from getting their carry permit.

Guest adurbin

You dont have to hit any of the shots at 45 feet, provided that you hit all the ones that you take while standing right on top of the target. Like others have said, stop stressing. You'll be fine.

Multiple choice.

Seriously, stop worrying. Your gun is plenty accurate. The target is a huge silhouette and as long as your shot hits black, it counts.

You'll pass just fine as long as you don't shoot the people to your left, right or rear! It's easy though!

Dave

I took the class with a brand new un-fired P95. Bought it at the last second to take the test.

I worried about the shooting part too. I think I could do the whole test from 15 yards in less than twenty five seconds now. ;)

As for the written--the instructor will give you all the answers in the class. Just listen.