Gun Shop Etiquette

A few weeks ago, I was at a LGS. A gentleman brought in 3 handguns to trade in for a new one. It seemed the shop made reasonable offers on the guns, considering the shop needs to sell for a profit. However, I am sure the gentleman could have gotten more money by making a private sale.

Would it have been appropriate to offer the gentleman more money than the gun shop, right in front of the shop salesman?

The staff at the LGS have always been very nice. I would hate to step on any toes by making an offer on a gun that the shop is about to purchase.

IMO it would be only approperiate if the seller and the store did not agree to a price that you could approach the seller and make an offer. Especially if you are planning to keep visiting that same store in the future.

Would it have been appropriate to offer the gentleman more money than the gun shop, right in front of the shop salesman?

No. That would be bad form in my opinion. I have followed people out of a store and offered money but never when they are dealing with the shop.

• Like 2

Yes wait to see if they can agree on a price and then make your offer if they can't.

I don't know why anyone would trade in a gun unless they have enough money that they just don't care how much they lose. I traded the 1st gun I ever bought but it was a break even except for $10 background check. Never traded another one.

I say it depends. If its an everyday gun then I would wait like everyone has said. But if it were something hard to find or something I've been looking for, I would interject a little, "hey let's talk outside first before you agree to their price."

trading on a gun is not as bad as selling one to a shop. They undercut your value, so you in turn point out that the gun you are buying is marked up. Back and forth ensues and with a decent guy behind the counter, you can work out a decent arrangement.

I agree it is bad form to ever step up in the middle of a deal. However there is nothing wrong with listening in to see what the store paid for the gun so when you buy it (if you do) you know the profit margin. If you are a known customer of the shop, and the clerk knows you, I think it would be ok to ask the Clerk (not the seller) if you could buy it off him instead to save paperwork and fees and all, this one time..... that sort of thing is subjective, but I would NOT directly try to get in the middle by addressing the seller with "I will pay you a little more than the shop..."

Guest Grout

Wait until the seller rejects the offer then follow them outside.It is bad form to butt in on any transaction whether at the gunstore or a gunshow.Gunshows are the worst,I've had guys eavesdropping actually step right between me and the other guy and want to look at the gun and make an offer

I almos did this once when an older gentleman wanted to sell a tricked out shotgun set up for trap. The guy behind the counter was playing weary at the purchase saying he didn't have much of a market for things like that which I think was kinda true. The store offered $200 on what the guy said was an $800-$900 dollar shotgun and I was thinking "hey I haven't got anything like that, that might be cool."

I decided to hold off and see what happened, maybe hold off until he left but he ended up taking the offer.

In hind sight I should have just talked to the guy behind the counter, explained that the last thing I wanted to so would be to step on anyones toes, but if he had honest reservations I'd be happy to make the deal then transfer it through them so could at least make a few bucks.

I think it wouldnt hurt to ask, providing your asking the proprietor and with all due respect.

The gentleman I saw that day did not happen to have anything I was interested in. But, I could not help to overhear the conversation. I think the gentle man accepted the trade-in value offered for two of his guns, and decided to keep the third. Hearing this just happened to get me thinking about the situation.

I also think it would be rude to interrupt negotiations. But, I would likely talk to the clerk and gun owner if I ever saw something I was interested in. If the shop ended up buying from the seller, I would imagine the shop would cut you a good deal to make a quick profit, instead of letting the gun sit in the display case.

In my opinion, it would be also be rude to offer only a few dollars more than the gun shop. Let us say the shop is offering $225,and the owner wants $400. Offering $250 would likely piss off everyone. However, if the shop and owner could not reach an agreement, I do not think the shop should be too mad if you offered the seller $350. At least in this hypothetical situation.

I like the idea of giving the shop an opportunity to do a transfer for a fee. Or, perhaps simply offering the shop a finders fee would suffice.

Then again, I am a newbie to the world of guns and I will likely find many things to ponder. I thank all of you for sharing your thoughts.

I do think its improper to approach a would be seller inside or outside the gun shop. The gun store's business does not stop inside the showroom, it also includes the parking lot. The entreprenur pays a mortgage/rent, they operate with the risk/reward business plan, they have both local, state and federal licenses, and they pay taxes, wages, & other utilities. To have some individual to infringe upon their enterprise at their place of business inside or outside is just very improper and in my opinion a form of stealing to the business. Even if the would be gun seller deal falls through, it's okay to approach potential seller off site/premisis, however that may be present challenges for the fox, but that is the proper approach.

Now with that said, being a former owner of gun store myself, many uninformed public gun owners believe by selling or trading to the gun store, removes the registration of the gun from them (like selling a car). This is why uninformed gun owners go the route of the lgs, vs. classifieds, buddies at work, or messageboards. Everyone should know, to make most of your item to sell, its better to sell to an individual vs. a business. Lgs are a for-profit business (ever seen a gun store email address end with .org). So lgs take/make favorable business opportunities when they can, nothing wrong with this business model. This is just normal business, buy low sell high. Just remember this, most reaonsonable gun stores make anywhere from 5%-15% markup on new firearms due to regional market conditions. For used firearms, they likely make from 30%-100% markup. The used market is where the money is made. BTW informed gun owners will sell here at TGO!

I dunno, it seems that if the seller turned down the offer from the gun store it would be fair game since there isn't going to be any transaction anyway. I think it would be wrong to interrupt the deal with a better offer, but if the guy leaves after turning it down I don't see anything wrong with that since it would be the buyer initiating contact and not the seller. Now, if the seller was outside of a gunstore trying to sell his firearm to potential patrons that would be a different story.

While I agree with most everything Runco says I wouldn't have a problem doing a FTF transaction then and there in the parking lot under specific conditions, one of which would be the blessing of a representitive/manager/owner of the store. Also have managed retail outlets where part of the business involved buying and selling used products and neither myself nor the owner would have any problem with person A selling an item to person B on our premises provided there was no deal to be made for us with person A.

I'd actually rather them do it in my shop than a Waffle House parking lot or something. Hard to sell someone on a holster/ammo/etc. for their new toy if they aren't at your shop. It's also a good way to get repeat customers by gaining the reputation of being easy to work with. YMMV.

Guest boatme99

I agree with Mk. It's a fine line though. I have two lgs's that I could offer a deal to a customer. That's only because both owners know me and know I would never do anything to scotch a deal for them. I also don't do it in their store. But it;s also a matter of what they want in the store and what I want for myself. As I said, a fine line. I would never do it in any of the other stores I frequent.

One more way to look at this.

Imagine your best friend's girl is quite hot. You are at his house, and she is there. They breakup in front of you. Here is your chance, you don't want her to lose her because you really do not know how to contact her. You are desperate to ask her out. What to do? Do you ask her out in his house in front of him? Maybe away from him, but still in his house, maybe the living room or the kitchen. Maybe outside on the porch or even in the driveway. Either way, if you ask her out on his property, that is just wrong! However, you know if you do this, and he finds out, your best friend's relationship is likely over, or never will be the same again. Who cares, shes hot, your not thinking with your head. Go get the girl. If your bf was dumb enough to let her go, you sure are not! She's Hot!

Isn't this what this is about? Just change the girl to the gun, just change the motivation of the above to greed, and shazam! Proper gun etiquette or lack thereof.

Imagine your best friend's girl is quite hot. You are at his house, and she is there. They breakup in front of you. Here is your chance, you don't want her to lose her because you really do not know how to contact her. You are desperate to ask her out. What to do? Do you ask her out in his house in front of him? Maybe away from him, but still in his house, maybe the living room or the kitchen. Maybe outside on the porch or even in the driveway. Either way, if you ask her out on his property, that is just wrong! However, you know if you do this, and he finds out, your best friend's relationship is likely over, or never will be the same again. Who cares, shes hot, your not thinking with your head. Go get the girl. If your bf was dumb enough to let her go, you sure are not! She's Hot!

Isn't this what this is about? Just change the girl to the gun, just change the motivation of the above to greed, and shazam! Proper gun etiquette or lack thereof.

Totally totally, 100% different IMO. Guns aren't people for one thing, for another I wouldn't go after my friends girlfriends, no how, no way, no where.

For another thing a gun shop that can't or won't make a deal on buying a gun never had a chance at building and breaking a relationship with it.

Also dont see myself giving out my name adress and phone number to some guy in a gun store parking lot. If the store in question wouldn't at least let me do what I gotta do in the lot, I likely wouldn't do it at all.

Now having said all that, practically speaking I would probably have to agree to a different location in order pop money out of the ATM. Stopped carrying alot of cash after loosing $300. at the beach.

Did get about $100 back after it washed back up on the beach though.

But I'd still have no problem making the deal there though.

One other thing, how is it greedy to buy a gun the gun store has no intention on buying? Now if you where to jump in on negotiations midway with a better offer than the stores willing to make maybe, unless the store was completely taking advantage of an unkowledgable seller offering $200 on a $2500 piece, then it would be the opposite of greed. IMO.

Edited by TrickyNicky

In the parking lot, pass a business card with your name, address and telephone number. When both are off-premises, then talk. Of course you can stand to offer more, you don't have the burden of rent and utilities.

DO this-- it's my understanding that a shop owner has some responsibity over a deal that happends on their property. No reason to screw up someones FFL to sell a gun for a few more dollars. They have more at risk than you do. I had a guy approach me and try to buy a gun for $20 more than the store offered. I told him it was direspectful to the owner to lowball them INSIDE THE STORE. I traded with the store for less right right front of the guy--and it felt great. Do what you must but do it off the FFL's property!!!

I dunno, I was in this situation before only the reverse. Didn't hurt my feelings one bit, 'cause if I still wanted her I wouldn't have sent her a$$ packing. And yes, it ruined our friendship for the same reasons why I traded her in for a better model... she was crazier than a sh#thouse rat and didn't want him around me since I was a "bad influence" on their relationship. It ended in divorce, go figure.

I wouldn't do it in front of the sales clerk. I'd approach the man when he left and either work something out or agree to meet later. Like another poster said, I don't carry around hundreds of dollars anyway, so it would be unlikely for an actual deal to go down in the parking lot. But if a gun shop turns him down it's free game. I'm not going to pass up on something I want because someone feels they have "dibs" on something they already turned down. It would be poor etiquette to enter into a bidding war with the gun store, but once the seller decides he ain't selling it to the shop, game on. If it would make you feel better one could even let the clerk know that you intend to make the guy an offer, if there is time to do so before the guy leaves.

this is a hard one to answer. some gun stores i say no, see what happens then approach. others stores, the ones that should not be in business anyway beause the way they treat their customers i might get involed in some manner. that is if i realy wanted the gun.