1911 gift

Guest Irie

Thinking about what to get my husband for his 50th...right now I'm thinking .45-70 Henry or 1911. If I go with 1911, I'm thinking Kimber (you only turn 50 once, right?).

Thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's got a Taurus .45 ( I hate it), I have a S&W .357, and we share a new S&W .380. When I brought that home he mentioned he would like a 1911. I figured I would do it up right with a high quality gun.

Do you know anything about his tastes/wants/ opinions? What he might do with it (admire it and stow in safe? Shoot it to death? Carry it? Compete with it at something?). Your budget is a big deal too. Have you considered any engraving for the event?

Guest No Ammo

Kimbers are good weapons, I have own many, if he will carry it daily I would recommend an Kimber Ultra II (smaller)if he's going to carry it once in a while I would recommend a pro-carry which is a little larger

Either way, He will love it

I also would pick that DW over any kimber. Kimbers are flashier, but there is a simple beauty to that gun coupled with quality. I like kimbers for what they are, and if looking for a carry gun, kimber would be in the running. But for a fullsized 1911 not to carry, kimber would be edged out for me by a number of brands.

Respectfully (and I don't hate Kimbers so no need for anyone to accuse me of that. :) ) I would take a serious look at the Sig Sauer and/or the Dan Wesson 1911s.

I've owned and do own quite few 1911s, including Kimber and I've found that for the money, it's really difficult to beat the quality and craftsmanship found in Sig's and Dan Wesson's and I think you'll find the prices comparable.

Just my $0.02 of course. :)

Hmmm. I expected the Dan Wesson to be a lot more. I saw the Kimber for around $1200 (hadn't narrowed down to model yet), so was thinking around $1500 for budget. I like the engraving idea too. Would I need to find a mom and pop shop to get that done?

I probably will bring him in to ultimately choose which one he wants. Shopping is half the fun and I want to make sure he likes the feel. Just have to convince him it's a gift and to ignore the price tag :)

He will mostly target shoot, not competitively, and also carry. I think the .380 we have is a little small for him.

For $1500 your options should be wide open. And yes, the .380 is too small for him.

With that budget I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the concept of one brand (Kimber). There are some very nice 1911s you can get at that price that are perhaps nicer than Kimbers at the same price point. I love my Kimber, don't get me wrong. I carry it every day. If I had $1500 to spend though, I would be considering all options. There have been some good ones thrown out there so far, but like all things it invites a lot of opinions and we all got 'em. We should have a 1911 SME on this board for stuff like this.

Have you been window shopping at your local gun shop yet?

Going there Monday.

Be sure to price everything out and don't get talked into anything. Pick out at least half a dozen 1911s in the 1000-1500 price range and then go home and get online to check reviews and price. Stop here and ask what some guys think about the various models available as I'm sure there are gonna be folks who own each one that you look at.

If you have some time between now and his birthday you also could consider the idea of having your gun shop order one if there is one in particular that you would like but he doesn't have in stock.

Edited by TMF 18B

you can probably get something like the slide engraved almost anywhere if you take it off the gun (this is very easy to do, and part of routine cleaning). At that point, its not a gun (the frame is the gun legally) so you could ship it off or find a local, and the only one who might object would be an anti-gun business. You can ship a slide without any special precautions. It would be wise to send it to a place that has done guns before, so they do not inadvertently damage it. Edit: remove the barrel and spring and all from the slide.

Well, if he is going to carry it at all, I would tell him about the gift and get his input --- size, weight, even caliber --- you may find he wants anything from a full sized 45 to a 1911ish 9mm compact or anything in between. If the focus is more toward target practice, a fullsized 45 is very hard to beat. Some of the similar guns are not exactly a 1911 but they are the same general design/shape/etc and some of those have advantages for carry that the classic does not (smaller, lighter, more capacity, other stuff). As said above, a classic full sized 1911 can be carried and many do, but others find them big and heavy --- this is all personal preference so you got to either spill the beans or probe him a bit while being mysterious.

Good luck with it.

Edited by Jonnin

Having trouble finding a store with a Dan Wesson in stock. I want to have my husband come along and make the ultimate decision. Just have the store put 4-5 guns in front of him minus price and let him pick what he likes.

Having trouble finding a store with a Dan Wesson in stock. I want to have my husband come along and make the ultimate decision. Just have the store put 4-5 guns in front of him minus price and let him pick what he likes.

They have dealers in FL (looks like that's where you are)....you can go to the website to locate dealers. http://www.cz-usa.com/products/

But yes, you may have trouble finding what you want in stock...that often happens with any higher-end 1911

Yeah, the big store down here with the best selection doesn't seem to have them in stock (website) but I'm going to stop by Monday and check anyway. 2 other stores nearby too.

We are still stuck in FL, but our hearts have already moved to TN :). 582 more days to go...

Thanks for all the info. I'll check out what's available around here. I want it to be right for him. I'll have him try the Sig, Kimber, Springfield and Dan Wesson. Any others?

For $1500 and some non-waver haggling, you could be the owner of a Les Baer "Premiere II". I own one and it's the keeper of my whole herd. Has super sharp front strap serrations and awesome sights. Truly an affordable custom pistol from a highly regarded builder. Your husband will not be disappointed. In fact, I know you could wrap up a Les Baer and be assured he would cherish that gift.

LesBaerPremiereII-02.jpg

Edited by SmokyBaer

Thanks for all the info. I'll check out what's available around here. I want it to be right for him. I'll have him try the Sig, Kimber, Springfield and Dan Wesson. Any others?

nighthawk for a carry variety of 1911?