9mm loads for IDPA and steel

So, I'm just getting my feet wet in reloading. I am wanting to start with 9mm. I shoot some local IDPA and 3gun mathces, and this is the caliber I shoot. Kinda thinking about a lower recoil round for the paper targets, and a heavier projectile for steel. Maybe a 95 or 100 grain, and a 147. Using Unique powder for now. Online load data says, 4.0-4.5 gr depending on bullet manufacturer for the 147, and 5.8-6.3 for the 100 grain. My question is this. How would a lighter powder load with the 100 gr bullet do? Say 4.6 to 5gr. WIll probably try and hold an OAL of 1.145-1.150. I shoot a M&P in case it matters.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure Unique would be my choice. It can be a little smokey on the low end of pressures. Personally I would get a jug of Titegroup. It's the best thing out there for standard pistol loads right now. Run up to the next gunshow in nashville and grab a jug from David. It goes a LOT further than Unique does. Meters ten times better. It's more akin to Bullseye but I gotta tell you, I like it a lot better than Bullseye. David also sells 147g hollow point that does AWESOME. It's the only jacketed bullet I load for 9mm.

I would stick to one load for everything.

I can and have knocked down the steel IDPA targets with my 9mm loads, which use a cheap lead .380 bullet (90 or 95 grains). Not saying to do the same, just that any bullet weight properly loaded can be very accurate and have sufficient energy to knock down the targets. The ones I make are mild shooting, light recoil rounds. The heavier the bullet, the more they cost -- that was the driving factor behind the light ones I use.

If you lighten them up too much, you miss power factor and if you fall much below that you can fail to cycle the gun unless you lightened the recoil springs. Also, not 100% sure but I thought IDPA made you use the same ammo for the whole event.

I can't give you specifics, not familiar with your powder nor gun not bullet weights enough to say. But I do recommend you consider using the same load for all. If it meets power factor, it will knock down the targets, supposedly they are designed for that.

My local gunshop sells and promotes titegroup. I will have to try some. I bought a like new, but used press, and it came with an unopened lb of Unique. So I'll give it a whirl. As far as the power factor goes, these local club match guys seem to care less as long as you are not having problems or being unsafe. I have though about two different loads causing more problems than they fix on my end adjusting from one recoil to another. I want to shoot a heavier bullet like a 147, so I guess I need to find a good powder gr. load to help with recoil. thanks for the input guys!

Start with the starter loads and see where that puts you. Most of those are terribly weak on purpose. You can reduce it from there until it does one of 3 things.... fails to cycle the gun (you can still respring if you want), fails to knock down the steel, or goes haywire with tumbling or instability.

Why do you want the heavy bullet, I am curious?

The heavier 147 gr bullet will give you less felt recoil for the same power factor than will a lighter bullet. Mix in the faster powder like Titegroup and this improves even more. It can also lead to problems because pressure can become a factor. As long as you are loading to the lower end of the legal power factor it usually isn't a problem. Titegroup is a great powder for this application but only with jacketed or plated bullets. It burns hot so is smokey as hell with lead and coated bullets. You also have to be carefull with Titegroup because a light load like you are wanting won't fill half the case. This means that if you are not carefull you can double charge a case and thats when things go boom.

There is no real reason to change loads for IDPA and steel. A good 130-135 pf load works great for both especially with the heavier bullets.

If you go with the 147s your M&P probably won't chamber anything much over 1.140. Usually about 1.125 - 1.130 will feed well and give some room for the occasional variance in length everyone gets.

Your Unique powder would be fine for normal power loads. Its not a great powder for the lower end stuff though.

The heavier 147 gr bullet will give you less felt recoil for the same power factor than will a lighter bullet. Mix in the faster powder like Titegroup and this improves even more. It can also lead to problems because pressure can become a factor. As long as you are loading to the lower end of the legal power factor it usually isn't a problem. Titegroup is a great powder for this application but only with jacketed or plated bullets. It burns hot so is smokey as hell with lead and coated bullets. You also have to be carefull with Titegroup because a light load like you are wanting won't fill half the case. This means that if you are not carefull you can double charge a case and thats when things go boom.

There is no real reason to change loads for IDPA and steel. A good 130-135 pf load works great for both especially with the heavier bullets.

If you go with the 147s your M&P probably won't chamber anything much over 1.140. Usually about 1.125 - 1.130 will feed well and give some room for the occasional variance in length everyone gets.

Your Unique powder would be fine for normal power loads. Its not a great powder for the lower end stuff though.

Now that is good info. Just what I was hoping for. I will play around a little with what I have and see what kind of results I get. I am a machinist by trade, so I love to tinker with stuff, and reloading is like a whole new world to explore. I just needed some good advice to point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Jonnin, I ran short on ammo at a recent match and got some from a friend there. They were reloads and were 147 gr. lead. Shot great.

Rick runs a couple M&Ps in IDPA and does it very well. He knows of what he speaks.

Like Rick said, keep it under 1.140 for your M&P. If you want to try jacketed 147s, get some Titegroup and some Precision Delta (http://www.precisiondelta.com/) 147 FMJs and start loading them at 3.2 grains. My STI Trojan makes 890-900 fps w/ 3.5 @1.155, but the same load goes 940 in my Glock 34. You may also want to check out Black Bullets (https://www.blackbulletsinternational.com/) if you are interested in moly coated lead bullets. These are as clean as jacketed bullets and usually easier to get a higher velocity. Black Bullets are made right here in TN. You only need 851 fps with a 147 bullet to make minor power factor. A 130 pf load with a 147 bullet will have less perceived recoil (a "push" vs. a "pop") and will knock down steel targets more easily. I would use one load for all games--you'll get used to one recoil impluse and you won't have to keep adjusting your dies for different loads.

-tad

Edited by deerslayer

Since your getting your feet wet, I think I'd start with 125 grain and 147 grain loads. Reason being you can pick up a lot of tips and loads from other shooters and they are common enough that you can't really mess them up.

Then as you progress and get comfortable with the rolling your own you can experiment more.