Olympic games

strickj

Michael Phelps smoked too much weed. Silver? common dude! Still one helluva pick-up lineI guess.

Water polo - why do they shave their bodies and wear banana hammocks?

Diving, water polo and badminton should not be Olympic games. These are all games that any drunken stuper can do just as well at any backyard barbecue. Maybe if the Olympics made the loosers "beer bitch" more people would watch, though.

Chinese gymnasts look older than they did in 2008.... which still isn't saying much.

Winning a gold medal in ping pong is like winning a participation award in shoelace tying.

Volleyball is fun to watch. Womens volleyball is funner to watch.

Cycling-track is not for everyone http://i50.tinypic.com/179w0i.jpg

Edited by strickj
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the whole thing, much like most other sports, is a complete waste of time. Look at the money wasted on a GAME. Whoopedy doo!

Strick, that picture, while disturbing, is not at all surprising.

The goofy games they come up with, curling??? Sometime in tha past, somebody had to have said " you know, I bet I can slide this big ass rock across this frozen pond and land it in a small circle". Yeah right. Why not make beer pong an Olympic sport? How about tricycle marathons where you gotta drink a beer in between each lap? (nerds!)

Guest bkelm18

I agree the cost to the host city is tremendous for such a little reward. I think I read somewhere that one of the cities in Canada, I think Vancouver maybe, when they hosted the games it pretty near tanked their local economy just spending the money to build the venues.

Though I am of the mind that anytime you can get that many countries together without them killing each other, it can't be such a terrible thing. Just my opinion of course.

The goofy games they come up with, curling??? Sometime in tha past, somebody had to have said " you know, I bet I can slide this big ass rock across this frozen pond and land it in a small circle". Yeah right. Why not make beer pong an Olympic sport? How about tricycle marathons where you gotta drink a beer in between each lap? (nerds!)

Curling rocks. Can't wan't until the winter games get cranked up again.

The Mrs. and I got rather addicted to it last time. I don't know why.

Don't much care for them, but that beatdown that Serena Williams served up was epic. It looked like a professional MMA fighter whipping up on a 90 year old lady on a walker.

ahhhh yea! Nothing better than a Olympic winner doing the "Crip gangster walk"!

The Crips have murdered countless Americans, most of them Black. Some estimates say at least 15,000 Americans have been murdered in the Crips-Bloods war. But that’s aside from the innocent people outside of their feud who’ve lost their lives to the Crips’ appetite for bloodshed. Beyond the murders, the Crips are heavily involved in drug dealing and violent crime, primarily on the streets of Black America. You know who co-founded the Crips? Stanley “Tookie†Williams. Remember him? He murdered at least four innocent people and was linked to an additional 20 murders. Shame on Serena Williams for honoring this organized group of thugs just after winning the Olympic Gold Medal.

Guest bkelm18

ahhhh yea! Nothing better than a Olympic winner doing the "Crip gangster walk"!

The Crips have murdered countless Americans, most of them Black. Some estimates say at least 15,000 Americans have been murdered in the Crips-Bloods war. But that’s aside from the innocent people outside of their feud who’ve lost their lives to the Crips’ appetite for bloodshed. Beyond the murders, the Crips are heavily involved in drug dealing and violent crime, primarily on the streets of Black America. You know who co-founded the Crips? Stanley “Tookie†Williams. Remember him? He murdered at least four innocent people and was linked to an additional 20 murders. Shame on Serena Williams for honoring this organized group of thugs just after winning the Olympic Gold Medal.

It's just a little dance. It'll be ok.

+1, we just had an American hand out a nice dish of good old fashioned beat down and bowl of superiority to another country in the olympics and people complain of her doing a 5 second dance after...

+1, we just had an American hand out a nice dish of good old fashioned beat down and bowl of superiority to another country in the olympics and people complain of her doing a 5 second dance after...

I dont always drink beer. But when I do, I watch Olympic winners do crip walks! :cheers:

I am just glad phelps is done. There are thousands of other people doing other sports that people might like to hear about, if only for a moment (nothing against the guy, but the all phelps news network and internet was a wee bit much coverage no matter how good he is). Did they even mention or show a single shooting event? I think they had an airsoft event and skeet at least?

Allowing pro basketball players, pro tennis players, etc ruins it for me. It is supposed to not be pros but there they are, coming out on top. I kind of like the age limit they were talking about to put an end to some of that.

All in all I lost interest in them after watching my first and last one (the atlanta games). Hype this sport, ignore that one. Hype this player, ignore dozens more. Put the olympic logo on everything from beer cans to TP to sell it. It has become like christmas.... commercialized, hyped, and a cheap imitation of what it supposed to be.

I think the whole thing, much like most other sports, is a complete waste of time. Look at the money wasted on a GAME. Whoopedy doo!

Strick, that picture, while disturbing, is not at all surprising.

The money wasted on the games? Think of the billions of dollars (or £) that are going into the British economy due to merchandise sales, advertising, travel, hotel accommodations, food, new venues, tourism, et cetera. There is a reason cities fight for these games. Ted Turner bought the Olympic stadium and now the braves play in Turner field, I don't know how that is a loss for ATL.

Guest bkelm18

The money wasted on the games? Think of the billions of dollars (or £) that are going into the British economy due to merchandise sales, advertising, travel, hotel accommodations, food, new venues, tourism, et cetera. There is a reason cities fight for these games. Ted Turner bought the Olympic stadium and now the braves play in Turner field, I don't know how that is a loss for ATL.

Who visits Atlanta now because they hosted the Olympics 16 years ago? Short term benefits. A city spends millions, if not billions getting ready for the games, just for a short jolt of cash inflow, after which, the city has to find uses for the venues. Some cities can make it work, some can't. I really wish I could find the article I mentioned earlier. Described how hosting the games pretty much ruined the local economy of a particular city after it was all said and done.

Edited by bkelm18

Some cities can make it work, some can't. I really wish I could find the article I mentioned earlier. Described how hosting the games pretty much ruined the local economy of a city after it was all said and done.

Plus it attracts unwashed Europeans... yuck!

I can tell you that atlanta did well by it... cleaned out a big section of ghetto next to GA tech, tore down some dorms that had been there since like 1940, and got all new facilities for the school and area, a huge improvement. GT really needed the new dorms and to push the ghetto back away from the students; we had bums and thugs and shootings going on within a half mile of campus before they razed the area and rebuilt. The ghetto remains of course but I think the students are safer now with an extra mile or so buffer zone.

Who visits Atlanta now because they hosted the Olympics 16 years ago? Short term benefits. A city spends millions, if not billions getting ready for the games, just for a short jolt of cash inflow, after which, the city has to find uses for the venues. Some cities can make it work, some can't. I really wish I could find the article I mentioned earlier. Described how hosting the games pretty much ruined the local economy of a city after it was all said and done.

Nobody visits Atl because of the Olympics, the point about atlanta they built the Stadium, then Ted Turner bought it, now the Braves play in it, and people from all around come to see the Braves. People hang out everyday in the Olympic Park, get married and have receptions there too. Money was hardly wasted there. Look at Park City, Utah, they were part of the winter Olympics in 2002 (Salt Lake City), I'm pretty sure they are doing very well since, I've ski'd there since. A jolt of cash flow rarely hurts a society (especially in economic times such as these), and if you look at almost, if not all, of the cities who have hosted the olympics in the past 20 years, I doubt that they are doing bad because of the Olympics.

I enjoy watching the Olympics, but it gets old after a few days. My wife is completely obsessed, though. Every 2 years (winter and summer games) her eyes are glued to the TV nonstop and my DVR is full.

Mens and womens indoor and beach volleyball are my favorites. GO MISTY AND KERRI!

I like the swimming too, but I'm sick of the Michael Phelps show too. It's not supposed to be about one person.

I watched a little bit of the shooting. Its on On Demand and boring as hell.