Im Drunk

Guest eyebedam

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike.357 and Eyebedam,

I like you guys! I think it would be a lot of fun to get together with either/both of you and have a couple beers (Bud Lite Ice is my brew of choice) and do some safe and non-reckless plinking!! (Without children around of course) :lol:

I just got to read through this post after being sick for a couple days. Mike, I applaud you for not getting into it with Warbird. Looking back, I wish I'd have done the same in the "mods so why then" thread. I actually lost more than one friend over that one.

I actually lost more than one friend over that one.

A TGO beerfest could be a lot of fun, with or without the firearms. If you lost a friend over some posts on the internet I would ask were they really your friend to begin with. Just saying, yanno

you should try to make it out to our shoots. Big fun meeting everyone face to face. And of course there is the added bonus of making fun of Dotsun's guns too.

I have never been a real fan of the Ice beers. I have tried them and they seem hard to get down. I will say that Ice beer should be drank very very cold.

Old Style, ooof. That was/is the shizzle in Chicagoland. I could never stand it. Extra carbonated swill IMHO. Seems one either loves it or hates it. I was with a bachelor party one time up there. Some yahoo bought two kegs of the stuff. We had already paid in to a fund to pay for the party but a few of us coughed up some more money and made a beer run to get something aside from Old Style. Then we about needed an armed guard to keep the other party goers out of our stash. No one wanted to drink it, LOL. I worked part time in a liquor store in Grayslake Il. We easily sold one case of Old Style for every two cases of beer we sold. I rate it slightly above Carling Black Label in the pecking order.

Pull tabs revolutioned the canned beverage industry. Before pull tabs you had to have a can opener (we called them "church keys"). Usually the can opener had a sharp end for puncturing cans and a dull edge for opening bottles. remember there were no twist tops then either. There is some Jimmy Buffet song where he cuts his foot on a pop top. The polished beer drinker would pop the top and drop the tab into the can so as to not litter until the can was empty, then you tossed the entire empty can out the car window. Lots of people kept the pop tops and made chains out of them to decorate the inside of the car. Ahh the good ole days

Edited by Mike.357
Old Style, ooof. That was/is the shizzle in Chicagoland.

Funny! That's where I was born and raised. I lived most of my life in the Wheaton/Naperville areas.

Most of my (underage) drinking days were in the Chicagoland area, but never Old Style. It was all MGD for me. Neither beers seem to be very popular down this way.

Guest eyebedam

My first drunk was on some Colt .45 it used to sell for .79 for a 40oz back in the day. That crap was horrible but back then you drank what you could get. Does anyone remember Billy Beer? It was really cheap & halfway decent.

Mike,

Are you from the Chicago area? I grew up there, in the Northwest Suburbs.....I remember going to grayslake on occasion too. I remember the Old Style too, yuck!! My dad always drank either Augsberger (not made anymore I don't think) or PBR....:lol: to both of those too! The Bud Ice is hard to drink but for some reason the Light version is very smooth and drinkable.

TDR says

Wheaton/Naperville areas.

Most of my (underage) drinking days were in the Chicagoland area, but never Old Style. It was all MGD for me. Neither beers seem to be very popular down this way.

We lived in Round Lake beach from 88 until 95. MGD was very popular when they introduced it. With the labeling it was kind of like the evil twin of High Life.

i would say your not drinking Old Style probably says something about your age more than your taste in beer.

I liked the area up there aside from it got tooo crowded with people, cost of living was too high and gangs were starting to be a problem in Lake County. Was time to get our kids out of there. Loved the proximity to Chicago and Milwaukee though.

TDR says

We lived in Round Lake beach from 88 until 95. MGD was very popular when they introduced it. With the labeling it was kind of like the evil twin of High Life.

i would say your not drinking Old Style probably says something about your age more than your taste in beer.

I liked the area up there aside from it got tooo crowded with people, cost of living was too high and gangs were starting to be a problem in Lake County. Was time to get our kids out of there. Loved the proximity to Chicago and Milwaukee though.

I have a few very close friend who've lived their entire lives in the Round/Grays Lake area. One of them actually moved down to Tennessee, but for some strange reason he didn't care for it. I could never figure that out. My sister is the same way, though. She loves the hustle and bustle of the big city life.

grew up in Mount Prospect

Small world Mama, I worked with a guy from Mt. Prospect, his Dad was an ELK. We used to spend many a Saturday afternoon shooting pool and drining beer at the ELK's lodge there. (Wasn't the Bluesmobile bought from the Mt. Prospect police force too?)

I am from Cincinnati originally. Got here via Chicagoland and S. Florida

Oh and somebody mentioned crawdads? thought it was TDR, maybe in another thread. anyway when I am at the farm in Indiana some of the younger crowd will go to the creek and catch crawdads. When they get enough we heat them in a sandwich grill( one of them things you toast a sandwich in over a fire). Put a crawdad or two in the griller and spalsh it with some beer. Hold over the fire for a minute and voila, perfectly cooked crawdads. Just pop the tail off and suck out the meat. I tell you it is good eating alright. Water or soda works too for cooking the things, just seems I have a beer in my hand.

Mike and TDR, I know what you guys mean! I left at 21 years old and have never looked back. Way too many people for me. I like the quite country life and being able to have my own little peace of property to hunt, shoot, camp, fish, have livestock, etc., etc. :D

I still have family up there too, a lot actually. My favorite nephew's wedding was yesterday, and I'm the only one in the whole family that didn't go. He's a fireman and it was a BIG wedding too....firetrucks, bagpipes, the whole 9 yds. I just had no desire to drive up there with my 3 year old son and deal with all the traffic and people.....not to mention I was sick all weekend anyway,

My nephew that just got married was very close to me when I lived up there. I taught him how to shoot and fish.....yes, I was young, but I started very young myself. I tried to instill the love of the country life into him, but I failed miserably! He's the biggest city boy you've ever seen. He came down to Southern Illinois (lived there for a few years before settling here) and lived with me while going to SIU for a couple years. He hated the country and finally quit SIU and went back up to Chicago. To each his own I suppose.

Any of you ever try Schmitz Beer? It was good but inexpensive beer out of Philly. Playboy magazine used to do a blind beer tasting every year and Schmitz normally won. I always bought Playboy for the articles. :D

Unfortunately, Schmitz is no more. I think I still have a can (empty) of Schmitz from 1976 - "The Beer for the Bicentennial."

Mount Prospect is also home of the late Randhurst Mall, which was built on top of a bomb shelter that could handle everyone who lived in the town of Mount Prospect. I could be wrong on this, but I also think it was the largest building in the US to be air conditioned.

Wow, I worked at Child World for four years, which was right next to Randhurst. I lived within walking distance to Randhurst. They tore down Child World and put in a Home Depot. I don't know what happened to Randhurst, I haven't been up there in over 15 years. I actually never heard about the bomb shelter! Or the air conditioning! That's pretty cool though!!

I never heard of Schmitz Beer.

Being from Cincinnati I was weaned on Hudepohl Beer as well as Schoenling and Little Kings. Used to love the Little Kings. They came in 7 oz green bottles and you could pound them down. They also had a slightly higher alcohol content. At least that was the rumor. both of the breweries are gone now. Which is a real shame. Cincinnati at one time had some unreal amount of breweries. Maybe like 180 of them? Schoenling and Hudy were the last. Dad always had Hudepohl 14K in the fridge. Someone must have bought the rights to both beers as on occassion I have found Little Kings as well as Hudy Delight beer.

I think I knew A/C thing about Randhurst Mall. I worked for a picture molding company up there and we had a customer in that mall.

Edited by Mike.357

When I was a youngster my friends and I would get several cases of Little Kings and pound them. They were pretty good to my recollection. Much easier to pound a 7 oz. bottle than a 12 too!

btw, I always hung around with a bunch of guys. Not too many (none actually) girls shared my love of shooting and fishing (and partying :D)!

Carlings Black Label and PBR were the low end beers for us growing up.

I do recall a memorable beer as a bunch of us got into beer can collecting back in the 70s. I was called Ole Frothingslosh and had pictures of large ladies on them. Sort of a novelty but the beer was actually pretty good.

Mike speaks of church keys and such but for the collector, the flat top cans were good, but we wanted the real fortunes. Cone tops !

Yep, first beers in cans had regular bottle tops to seal them and looked like oil cans.

Anywho, there is lightning in the area and I got to sign off.

I always drank Wiedemann,

I have a Weidemann Wall decoration for a bar in my basement, in the middle of the pic, sorry it does not show better. (camera is old and failing, sort of like me)

weidemann.JPG

At one point my next door neighbor worked for Weidemann Brewery which was located in Northern KY just across the rivver from Cincy. They had some benefit program to where employees got free or very low cost beer to take home with them and they also were allowed to drink while working. That guy came home stewed on many occassions. This was before my beer drinking days mind you but I remember vividly one time finding him laying face down in the driveway with the car still running and his legs still in the car. Seems he opened the door and passed out of the car.

My grandpa drank Weidemann as I recall, along with Top Hat. Top Hat was a premium beer and came in clear bottles similar to High Life, the label featured a Top hat, cane and gloves IIRC. Years later in my early 20's we would get stubby brown bottles of Top Hat for like 4 bucks a case. Dunno why it was no longer a premium beer. And I also bought some Weidemann as recently as three years ago in Cincy. It was being brewed somewhere in Pennsylvania. I think the same brewery was making Little Kings too.

Guest eyebedam

speaking of old beer I've got a couple cases of Worlds Fair Beer when it was in TN 20 something years ago. My dad worked for Miller for 30 plus years & I worked for the distrubter for about 6. I believe I've tried just about every beer available in the TN area.