2012 NCAA Football Thread

Il Duce

[quote name='Patton' timestamp='1353855682' post='850409']
Another prime example of how hard it is every week in the SEC.
I'm not being a smarta**, but I really want to know. Did Notre Dame play anyone ranked in the top ten the day they played?
[/quote]

MI St was top 10 when they played. MI was somewhere around the top 10 when they played. Then you had Stanford and Oklahoma was ranked no. 8 when they played. I also think BYU was a top 25 team when they played.

All in all now they beat 9 teams that ended the season bowl eligible. Not really a slouch of a schedule.

Hey Crimson...how does crow taste this time of year! :yum:

• Like 1
[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1353886746' post='850580']
Alabama will destroy Notre Dame.
[/quote]

Oh I know...just like Michigan St was going to, and then Michigan, and then Miami, and then Stanford, and then Oklahoma was going to, and then it was USC. See a pattern this year?

All Bama has to do now is get past Georgia and we'll all find out together. I think you and everyone else will be surprised to find that the Irish defense can keep them in a game with anybody. It will be a better game then what you think, and the Irish have been finding ways to win dogfights all year long. Edited by ShamGlock
[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1353886746' post='850580']
Alabama will destroy Notre Dame.
[/quote]

I'll second that one! The Irish have had a good year but it's not like they really played anyone and they should have lost to Stanford on that crap call.
The national title should just be awarded after Saturday's game. Alabama or Georgia could beat just about every NFL team.

I am curious though,, who did Alabama lose to and where was it played, and who did Georgia lose to? Oh wait,Alabama lost to a two loss team on their home field and Georgia somehow lost to powerhouse South Carolina. And lets remember that South Carolina nearly lost to the powerhouse blockbuster team that wears orange. And of course they barely beat UT themselves. But lets overlook the incredible schedule they play anyway.

We all know a loss to an SEC team by another SEC team is at most like half a loss only, well really it is more like half a win. And a win by a non SEC team against another non SEC team is at best only like half a win.

And lets keep strength of schedule out of it, okay lets don't SOS, ND #8 Alabama # 15, Georgia # 27

I love the scenario, If by some miracle lowly ND beats some SEC team in the title game I can't wait to read all the excuses being offered up for how ND pulled it off. Certainly none of those explanations will include that ND is the better team.

The Irish have everything to win and not a darn thing to lose.

You got the Irish right where they want you.
[quote name='Il Duce' timestamp='1354220003' post='852526']
I agree but they are ranked 2 in the computers. Oh well
[/quote]
Computers haven't watched their anemic offense over the last four games (before FSU) - the human voters (2/3rds of the BCS formula) have.

Not talking smack about ND - if we get past UGA (fingers crossed), I've learned my lesson about this ND team.

RTR
  • Like 1

[quote name='Mike.357' timestamp='1345414691' post='802890']

gotta love a team that has not won a national title since 88 but still collects millions from a national tv network,is the only school with someone sitting in BCS meetings and has fans always commenting on them. HA

Haters gotta hate!

;)

And I can't wait until the Miami game at Soldier Field with the funkyl uniforms and two tone helmets.
[/quote]

I enjoyed dredging this one up, Mike - you were way more confident than I was at the start of the season! I was hoping for 4-4 through October, with a 7-5 finish. It seemed like a safe bet at the start of the season, didn't it? 12-0 is so unexpected that I don't know how to act these days, other than to say whoever the opponent is on 1/7, I hope they lose. Go Irish! (note to those who aren't reading the above with comment - the quote was made sarcastically to a "Is Notre Dame even relevant?" question).

Now that we've been through the first two cycles of the standard and invariably rote Notre Dame press approach, e.g. 1) "Is Notre Dame still relevant?", and 2) "Notre Dame is back!!!", if they pull out a win, I'll happily sit through the inevitable 3) "Did Notre Dame sell its soul for national prominence?" story. It's been a long time since I've had a chance to read a legitimate one, since the last time was over the outcry over Ty "Radio" Willingham's firing.

• Like 1

Irregardless of how a game plays out in Miami, Notre Dame has already been the big winner this season.

No one saw them going unbeaten this year. The boost to recruiting will be immeasurable. 12-0 or 12-1 really doesn't matter.

It would be awesome to go 13-0, but either way the next chapter in the Irish legacy is already written. All that remains to be added is a post script.

Kelly has shown repeatedly in his coaching career how to build a contender. And don't forget history. The last four coaches who have won national championships at ND did so in their third year. Kelly is in his third year.

And also let's don't forget Lee Corso picked ND to win it all. That guy is never wrong. ;)

• Like 1
The Irish were recruiting at a high level before this run, and the win over usc. I'm excited to see what happens after the Championship game running up until national signing day. If they steal a few recruits, especially from usc, in the right places they could have a monster recruiting class as well.
For the record, it's not typically the class just after the championship that you see the recruiting bump, but the following year's class. Too little time to make up grounds in relationships immediately after the championship - NSD is ~ one month later.

Regardless, ND should have great recruiting classes in the near future.
[quote name='crimsonaudio' timestamp='1354292101' post='852855']
For the record, it's not typically the class just after the championship that you see the recruiting bump, but the following year's class. Too little time to make up grounds in relationships immediately after the championship - NSD is ~ one month later.

Regardless, ND should have great recruiting classes in the near future.
[/quote]

Generally yes, this is the case. There are still a few recruits that are on the fence between ND and usc, and some other schools. ND has a top 5 class as it is, 2 or 3 top recruits in the right places this year could push that closer to the top spot and be a monster haul. Especially if they were top talent in secondary and a top running back.
  • Like 1
[quote name='ShamGlock' timestamp='1354402347' post='853526']
....We are about to watch Bama start to pour it on in the seond half.
[/quote]

I'm not into FB much anymore, but got into this one.

Just heard the stat that when 'Bama gets 155 yards or more rushing over the last however many years mentioned, they are 48 and 0. They're at 152 starting the second half, so the Dawgs would really have to cheat fate big time to overcome that.

Then again, GA just went ahead, so anything's possible on any given Sat. in college ball.

- OS Edited by Oh Shoot