Moving from KY to TN. Permit transfer?

Guest travr6

Guest travr6

If I move from KY to TN does my permit transfer over or do I have to go through the entire process as if I am a new registrant?

Anyone know?

I couldn't find the info on your site or the states website.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What he said.

http://www.tn.gov/sa...ciprocity.shtml

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. Such person will be processed as a renewal applicant if the eligibility requirements of the other state are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee. View application requirements by state for persons holding a Handgun Carry Permit from another state and applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit.

Kentucky

Applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted.

(Kentucky requires the applicant to complete a safety course)

Edited by peejman
Guest SpicyMchaggis

Not for nothing, but when I moved here from CT last year they accepted my permit and sent me a TN one in the mail two weeks later. No finger prints or anything. Walked into the DMV knocked it out in 20 minutes.

Not for nothing, but when I moved here from CT last year they accepted my permit and sent me a TN one in the mail two weeks later. No finger prints or anything. Walked into the DMV knocked it out in 20 minutes.

Varies by state. CT requires fingerprinting. KY doesn't.

• 1 month later...

Is residency defined as the date you were issued your TN DL or the date you moved to the state? How do they know when you moved? I'm assuming it is 6 mo from the date the TN DL was issued. Anyone know for sure?

TN residency is established as soon as you say it does if you can show rent or utility receipt, paystub, etc.

As far as "they" know, unless they had reason to dig, it's most likely when TN DL or tags were issued.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • 11 years later...

I had a Tennessee carry permit, moved to Kentucky got a carry permit there. I am about to move back to Tennessee, what is the process for me? Do I need to go through the whole process again?

Don't forget to check you original state carry permit rules... In my case coming from California, I had to relinquish my CCW as soon as I declared that I moved, so there was no overlap that I could use here.

I had to take the class here, application, fee and fingerprint

The great folks in AZ didn't care that I moved, sent in my change of address, they processed it for free

Good luck

Edited by Toy4Rick
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2024 at 11:25 AM, smays1979 said:

I had a Tennessee carry permit, moved to Kentucky got a carry permit there. I am about to move back to Tennessee, what is the process for me? Do I need to go through the whole process again?

If your TN permit is still 'in date' or lifetime, when you get a TN DL your permit will be valid, just ask for a new replacement.  If expired, will have to repeat the class for the ECP.