BBQ in Knoxville

Mark A

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to go to Phil's, but they close at 7pm and I don't get off work til usually after 6. I can't make the drive in time. I'll have to check it out on a Sat. We ended up going to Dixie Outpost in Blountville for pulled pork sandwich and sides. It was pretty good.

I'll be in Blountville visiting the family in a few weeks, is Dixie Outpost worth it?

Chandlers has great fried chicken!!!

My farrier goes there .. he says they are quite good..And its alwasy packed.. every day for lunch.. it must be quite good

Kinda of a hijack.. sorry

Husband and I where looking for a place to eat.. So we figured we would try Ruth Cris`s Steak House...

I was in the mood for steak.... I looked at the menu and ..Almost fell out of my chair.. 52 bucks for a steak?

Now.. That steak might have been the best I would ever had .. but.. no... sorry.. we walked out.. thats insane..

Buts its always packed there and I bet its good but 52 bucks pays for 2 huge meals with apps anywhere else.

I'll be in Blountville visiting the family in a few weeks, is Dixie Outpost worth it?

The pulled pork was good and the banana pudding was good. I'll go back, but I'm not going to recommend going out of your way for it if you all have other places you really enjoy. If you aren't going to JC or anywhere and just looking for some quick, close bbq, it was worth it. Lots of people were doing the to go, by the pound orders. They also have about 15 different types of hot dog combos if that's your thing. I put some pictures up in the Food/drink thread.

Guest 6.8 AR

My farrier goes there .. he says they are quite good..And its alwasy packed.. every day for lunch.. it must be quite good

Husband and I where looking for a place to eat.. So we figured we would try Ruth Cris`s Steak House...

I was in the mood for steak.... I looked at the menu and ..Almost fell out of my chair.. 52 bucks for a steak?

Now.. That steak might have been the best I would ever had .. but.. no... sorry.. we walked out.. thats insane..

Buts its always packed there and I bet its good but 52 bucks pays for 2 huge meals with apps anywhere else.

It would have been. May not be your every day diner, but it's worth it to go once.

Been to the Ruth's Chris in Nashville and in DC. Prices are high, but the food is top notch. The one in DC was awesome.

It's one of those "you get what you pay for" kinda places.

Guest 6.8 AR

Is that the Jacks that was/is in the middle of downtown Nashville? Some of the best brisket I've ever had, pulled pork was good too.

Wasn't around for the floods and haven't been downtown since I got back so I have no idea if they were able to stay in the same building or had to move? I do know that both times I went to the summer NAMM show they always had a well deserved line out the door from locals bringing out of town vendors there.

There is one on Trinity Lane off I-65. The brisket is great. There may be another location, too.

There is one on Trinity Lane off I-65. The brisket is great. There may be another location, too.

I'll have to look them up and try them out. A good brisket is a mighty fine thing.

Ruth Cris is for me not a good option. I could easily go flat broke between steak, sides and before and after dinner drinks.

Had a friend who was a bartender at one in LA and he used to bring home an ungodly amount in tips, roughly $1000 a weekend!

Seems like it would be a great place to work but he said it was a huge PITA between uptight management, stuck up patrons and servers who thought their $h&t don't stink.

Still bit a lot of easy jobs out there paying like that.

It would have been. May not be your every day diner, but it's worth it to go once.

Been to the Ruth's Chris in Nashville and in DC. Prices are high, but the food is top notch. The one in DC was awesome.

It's one of those "you get what you pay for" kinda places.

I'll have to disagree. Went to a Ruth's Chris in Detroit on the company dime a few years ago. It was good, but so are the steaks I cook on my grill at home. The high society atmosphere doesn't impress me at all. I'd rather eat at Cracker Barrel. I guess I'm just a simpleton.

I helped make the railing they have in the one here in Knoxville. :D But yes they are expensive.

I'll have to disagree. Went to a Ruth's Chris in Detroit on the company dime a few years ago. It was good, but so are the steaks I cook on my grill at home. The high society atmosphere doesn't impress me at all. I'd rather eat at Cracker Barrel. I guess I'm just a simpleton.

I won't pay that much for a steak on my own, if someone buys it for me I will give it a shot but I can't justify the price. I rather be at cracker barrel as well....I would probably rather have a country friend steak with some mashed potatoes and green beans anyways.

Edited by nysos

I agree on Ruth's Chris. I love a good steak but think I would choke if it cost that much. Ye Olde Steak house has some pretty good steaks and the whole meal is around $30. By the way, on Monday nights they have their burger and a side for $7.75. If you never had a Ye Olde burger you need to give it a try.

Glenn