What makes a rifle a sniper rifle

LI0NSFAN

I was always scared of the Oryx's after I saw one attack a HMMWV. Thing ####ed up a truck door on a moving vic.

I thought those were a Range Control myth until I almost hit one with a 15 pax van on the way to El Paso. Those are large animals.

Edited by TMF

Right on. I grudgingly switched one of my SWS over to a PAS-13 since those times of the month with real low illum I couldn't see jack through the PVS-22. I tell ya, after putting that PAS-13 on there I was a believer. Not great for daytime compared to having an M3A, but I felt like I owned the night for anything within 500m. Zeroing was the big pain since you had to get close to activate the eye cup, which caused the thing to smack you in the forehead every shot.

Unfortunately there are more people on this thread than there are snipers using .338 Lapua in combat. 7.62 x 51 is still the industry standard, however, by 2005 we had Remmy 700s in .300 winmag downrange. The trajectory was noticably flatter and wind calls were cut significantly.

I'm not sure how the US military is warming up to it yet. That round was a failure until Lapua developed the brass for it.The 308 and 300 Winmag will do most of the stuff. It's capability is closer to the 50 BMG in terms of range. Like all things Lapua, money falls out the end of the gun when you pull the trigger :-).

Still, Hodnett's personal rifle is a convertable chambered in 300 Winmag and 338 Lapua. He's not a sport shooter by trade.

I think "most" is an exaggeration on your part. Most women refuse to even touch an icky gun.

I guess that's true of some women but last Sunday when I was up at the Montgomery County Shooting Complex, a colleague of mine and his wife were with me...one of the guns I has with me was my FNH AR10 (.308). He shot a 10 round mag and was rubbing his shoulder; I asked if she wanted to shoot it, not expecting a positive reply, and she did...she only shot five rounds but she wasn't the least bit afraid of it and probably held the rifle better than her hubby. :)

More importantly, until they bought their first gun about a year ago (a Beretta 92); neither of them had ever shot a gun before.

I've been finding out that introducing people to shooting (or at least extending their experience) is one of the most enjoyable aspects of shooting (well, that and kicking someone's but in a contest but that happens VERY infrequently for me!) :)

Heck, I'd say that a relatively inexpensive, mail-order Carcano rifle with a low-powered scope could be a sniper rifle. If he were still alive, you could just ask Lee Harvey Oswald about that.

You could also ask the brother of Lee Harvey's victim how effective a .22 LR is.

Are there any girls that are snipers ?

From all the shows I have to endure that include weapons or shooting. .I never have seen a woman sniper.. Maybe its just not a job to be had in the Armed Services.?

But they say woman can shoot better than guys.. :)

The deadliest shooter on The Walking Dead is a chick, Andrea. Every show and movie I see these days features a 98lb girl whoopin' 250 lbs male ass with Gun Kata and Kung Fu. I just assume now if I speak to a girl she will use enziguri against me.

A guy that hates 1911's is only moments away from biting the pillow himself. Maybe the show is gay, and you just don't know it :)

:owned:

I'll take my lumps on that one.

I do hate all 1911's and pretty much all forms of .22 rimfire. :shrug: Dunno why. If it's all there was, I take up a new hobby. I have no explanation for it.

The deadliest shooter on The Walking Dead is a chick, Andrea. Every show and movie I see these days features a 98lb girl whoopin' 250 lbs male ass with Gun Kata and Kung Fu. I just assume now if I speak to a girl she will use enziguri against me.

There is a reason there aren't battered men's shelters.