What makes a rifle a sniper rifle

LI0NSFAN

I am getting tired of every rifle being called a sniper rifle. This term is thrown around A LOT in classifieds on gun sites. I have seen everythig from a malin 22 to a 16 inch barreled AR called a sniper rifle. I have several guns that can hit a pie plate at serious long distance with consistancy and I would never call them a sniper, they are my hunting rifles. I guess I don't really know what I would consider a sniper rifle but I don't think there are many true snipers out there. If some of you know what qualifies a gun as a sniper please share with me so I can add to my gun knowledge.

What makes a rifle a Sniper rifle?

The guy {or gal} behind the trigger. It could be a worn out Stevens Crack shot .22 loaded with shorts and be a sniper rifle in the hands of the right mind.

This. If you can't shoot the most expensive "sniper of the day" rifles aren't worth a hoot. Same goes for just about any other gun.

• Like 1

there are 3 or 4 ways to define a sniper.

1) an accurate gun with a powerful scope

2) a historic sniper, like a mosin, sometimes these are regular guns reconfigured to replicate the historic sniper, some are real deal.

3) a modern sniper (and these vary, the current best sniper had 5 rifles in an interview I saw, a 223, a 338, a 50 bmg, and something else) these seem to be custom/hand built AR platforms mostly or similar styles, but some are still bolts.

4) a deer rifle in the hands of someone who thinks way, way too much of their skills.

I jokingly call my 308 lever gun with a 24X scope a sniper. It isnt, but I call it that, and it can outperform my skills anyway.

Edited by Jonnin

Are there any girls that are snipers ?

From all the shows I have to endure that include weapons or shooting. .I never have seen a woman sniper.. Maybe its just not a job to be had in the Armed Services.?

But they say woman can shoot better than guys.. :)

The Russians used women heavily as snipers. And yes, most women can out shoot men.

From all the shows I have to endure that include weapons or shooting. .I never have seen a woman sniper.. Maybe its just not a job to be had in the Armed Services.?

I met some women that were in the Israeli Amy that were snipers.

There's a whole lot more to being a sniper than just being able to shoot

One of the most successful snipers in history was Lyudmila Pavlichenko with 309 confirmed kills. WWII Russian using a Mosin with a measly 3.5x scope.

Edited by Garufa

One of the most successful snipers in history was Lyudmila Pavlichenko with 309 confirmed kills. WWII Russian using a Mosin with a measly 3.5x scope.

How the heck did I miss that and you the post right before me?

-1 for me and my repost!

There's a whole lot more to being a sniper than just being able to shoot

Actually, Shooting is probably the easiest part of being a sniper. You put a quality rifle in almost any pair of hands and teach them to shoot. Now, cover, concealment, stalking, patience, camouflage, patience, going for hours without moving or taking a wizzz, patience, those are hard parts. THe trigonometry that the spotter has to do on the fly ain't so easy either.

I think Caster has it down: The guy {or gal} behind the trigger. It could be a worn out Stevens Crack shot .22 loaded with shorts and be a sniper rifle in the hands of the right mind.

I have had a checkered life which allowed/allows me to meet quite a variety of shooters. I have also gotten to meet some shooters as well as having seen their effects in various out of country places. I, as an 3rd party obsever, went on a counter sniper mission - very interesting. However, later I looked back and thought, maybe I was a decoy?

One time some locals told me that children were being killed by a sniper in a country I was working back in '93. Later that day I mentioned the indigenous sniper to two "non-US" Special Forces types. A couple of days later the locals hailed me as some kind of ninja thinking I ended their children killer sniper problem. I didn't tell them I didn't do anything except mention their situation to a couple of non-uniformed bad assess I had met. I saw these same two "SF" fellas a few days later and before I could even say anything one gave me a tight lipped grin and a nod. I said to myself, "there are some bad ass people around here and I need to stay on their good side."

Then there was a guy with a suppressed .22LR and thermal night sight....

I personally can't shoot long range worth a crap, having no natural skill, no training or experience, but I have met some fellas.... and every time they impress/impressed me. The fella that teaches 5th SFG snipers is a pretty interesting fella that I have the good fortune to meet. I have some software that a sniper lent me and I am still looking at like a chimp looks at a wrist watch. Wind, earth rotation, air density,temperature, barrel twist, bullet weight, velocity... no squirrel ever heard of this stuff in Iowa..

I think Caster has it down: The guy {or gal} behind the trigger. It could be a worn out Stevens Crack shot .22 loaded with shorts and be a sniper rifle in the hands of the right mind.

I have had a checkered life which allowed/allows me to meet quite a variety of shooters. I have also gotten to meet some shooters as well as having seen their effects in various out of country places. I, as an 3rd party obsever, went on a counter sniper mission - very interesting. However, later I looked back and thought, maybe I was a decoy?

One time some locals told me that children were being killed by a sniper in a country I was working back in '93. Later that day I mentioned the indigenous sniper to two "non-US" Special Forces types. A couple of days later the locals hailed me as some kind of ninja thinking I ended their children killer sniper problem. I didn't tell them I didn't do anything except mention their situation to a couple of non-uniformed bad assess I had met. I saw these same two "SF" fellas a few days later and before I could even say anything one gave me a tight lipped grin and a nod. I said to myself, "there are some bad ass people around here and I need to stay on their good side."

Then there was a guy with a suppressed .22LR and thermal night sight....

I personally can't shoot long range worth a crap, having no natural skill, no training or experience, but I have met some fellas.... and every time they impress/impressed me. The fella that teaches 5th SFG snipers is a pretty interesting fella that I have the good fortune to meet. I have some software that a sniper lent me and I am still looking at like a chimp looks at a wrist watch. Wind, earth rotation, air density,temperature, barrel twist, bullet weight, velocity... no squirrel ever heard of this stuff in Iowa..

Spin drift and the Coriolis effect make smoke come out of my ears.

LOL. Spin drift and the Coriolis effect make smoke come out of my ears.

I could tell a couple of other stories, but coming from "pogue city" ain't too impressive.

There has to be some fellas on this forum who can say, "been there and done that." I know a couple of guys who routinely shoot 1000 yard matches, realizing shoot a grand ain't being a sniper, but having the ability to do so is part of the "game."