G17, G37, Beretta 92, or Remington R1?

gjohnsoniv

Recommned you get the one that you have never had. If you have not had any of those guns may as well start with the 1911, then get a 9mm Glock. Then get a 92 and lastly the 21/30/36 .45 ACP Glocks. I have had over a dozen 1911s and have 0 now. I have had 2 x 21s, 2 x 36s and have shot the snot out of G30s. I have 0 .45ACP Glocks. I have had 3 92s, I have 0 now. I have no intention of getting any of the aforementioned pistols ever again. I have 10 Glock 9mms. I do have a friend who collects/accumulates guns and he has over 45 1911s and more on order. So to each his own niche.

The question was what would I choose? And why?

I would choose the Remington R1. Why? Because I am 1911-less and even though last time I owned one it ruined my accuracy with my other pistols, I still want an American Made 1911. I also already have 45ACP FMJ and HP's and only one piston to use them in.

Now if I had a purpose for one.....

Beretta 92 for suppressor host.

G37 if I had won a pallet of 45GAP.

G17 if this was my last time to buy a pistol before a zombie apocalypse or EOTWAWKI scenario.

Guest Lester Weevils

All good. Am more likely to take a 92 or 9mm 1911 to the range than G17. Have a strange compulsion to get a G17 long slide, though the G17 doesn't go to the range very often. CZ75/85 or clone is great. Beretta or Stoeger Cougar is also a lot of fun, and if I had beretta PX4 or Cheetah they would be fun range time.

Can get good reasonably accurate .22 barrels for 92, CZ75, 1911 and Glock. I have .22 adapters for the first three but not the glock, and shoot em pretty often. If I had to sell all the pistols to avoid starvation, one of the 92's would probably be the last sold.

Then I'd get the G17 over the 92F. Going between DA/SA rapidly messes up my trigger squeeze. My Beretta doesn't get much range time because of this and remains a safe queen. My Glock though... that gets used a lot and I really enjoy shooting it. Consistent trigger squeeze translates to speed and accuracy, for me anyway.

Let me make this more difficult. You selected the G17 over the G19 for you list of options. My last purchase options pitted the G17 against the G19 and I decided the G17 is a whole lot more gun for two extra rounds. I didn't see the point in that so I purchased a G19.

Let me make this more difficult. You selected the G17 over the G19 for you list of options. My last purchase options pitted the G17 against the G19 and I decided the G17 is a whole lot more gun for two extra rounds. I didn't see the point in that so I purchased a G19.

I just made the assumption that he already has a G19 since it wasn't on the list of options. Everyone should have one.

Guest Lester Weevils

People with actual talent at marksmanship seem to accurately shoot short-barrel pistols, but sight radius makes a big difference in my pitiful attempts at accuracy. Some folks post targets here purportedly shot with snubbies and 3" or less barrel semi-autos that might as well be one ragged hole, but my accuracy with 3" or less barrels is pitiful even slow-fire taking all the time in the world. It gets a little better with the two 3.5 and 3.6 inch barrel guns, and gets better still with 4.5" or better length barrels. Am pretty sure in my case it is sight radius rather than the length of the barrel per se.

So anyway maybe only a few people are that doofus with short-sight-radius pistols, but would be the reason I'd go for a G17 rather than G19 for a general-duty range gun. G19 might be lots more practical for carry however.

Hmm well I think I'm leaning a little more to the G17 and the 92 for my upcoming birthday and then maybe the 21 or 1911 for Christmas. Since I can buy myself gifts right, lol.

Yes you can absolutely buy yourself gifts. This is how I almost exclusively justify my purchases to myself. "Hey I have been at my job for 12 years now I need to reward myself with another .45" "hey I have been at my job for 12 years and 1 week I need to reward myself with a new scope" Lmao

If it was me it would be the g17 first. I prefer my g19 over a 17 though. Then the r1.

The Beretta is a accurately boring, well built tank. The R1 is a 1911, take it however you will. The Glocks are Glocks, if Glocks are your thing. I find the G21 to be a massive mainly due to having been around G17/19 my entire shooting life.

Only you can decide which is for you.

I'll fall in line with some of the G19 vs. G17 dialog but will point out that the G19 shoot's every bit as well as the G17 and the G19 has a slight edge as a daily carry defensive pistol. I'll also point out the G19 can use the G17 magazines and I once carred a G19 as a service pistol doing this very thin, G19 magazine in the pistol, G17 magazines on my belt. Now I'm going to throw in another set of recommendation's, an SR9 or SR9c, both are far less expensive than the Glock and function very well. On a whim I purchased an SR9 to field test, here's what I can say for now, better trigger pull, better ergonomic's than a Gen 1 thru 3 Glock, better factory sight's. Sometime's it's worth the time to step outside of the box and try something different.

Well I think I might go for the G19 if the grip fits my hand well so that I can use 17 and 19 magazines.

Don't forget the 33 round magazines. I think those are G18 magazines. Who numbered these things anyway. Geeezzz....

Well, if by "steel" you actually mean "aluminum alloy". :)

- OS

OS, you beat me to it. :up: The Beretta is an aluminum alloy frame with a steel slide.

If you're only going to have one, I'd go with the Glock 17. Here's why:

1) Mags and parts are plentiful and reasonably priced.

2) It's light enough for EDC if needed, but a large frame handgun gives you a better sight radius and larger ammo capacity. Accuracy is more than acceptable for distance shooting.

3) The platform is very durable and reliable with very few internal parts. It is a tried and true design that has proven itself by police, military, and civilian shooters all over the world.

4) It's easy to work on, requiring only a Glock tool, which is basically a single punch with a handle on it. Many of the internal parts are interchangeable between Glock models and require no fitting.

5) It's customizable, just like a 1911.

6) 9mm ammo is easy to get and reasonably priced. Regardless of what many people believe, the 9mm is more than suitable for self-defense.

7) In an EOTWAWKI scenario, parts and ammo will be much easier to find since 9mm is the NATO round and Glocks are one of the most common handgun platforms in the United States.

Of the four you listed, I'd go first for the G17 and then the Remington R1. I'd get them both. I happen to be one of those fairly odd individuals that own and like both pistols, though my .45 is a Springfield. You can't go wrong with either one.

Of the four you listed, I'd go first for the G17 and then the Remington R1. I'd get them both. I happen to be one of those fairly odd individuals that own and like both pistols, though my .45 is a Springfield. You can't go wrong with either one.

I have one glock 19 and 3 1911's. I love both platforms equally. You are not alone in oddness.

If I had the choice to only grab one pistol and run out the door in a bug out situation it would be the glock. If I could run in and save one pistol from a fire it would be a 1911. LOL

Has anyone noticed a difference is accuracy between the G17 and G19?

No. But then again, I don't do a lot of pistol training past 10 meters. G19 is where it's at. Every house should have a 12 ga, AK and a G19.

Has anyone noticed a difference is accuracy between the G17 and G19?

To be honest I shoot a baby Glock as accurately as a fullsize. I've went back and forth over the years on which ones I like to carry. Nowadays I'll take a G23 over any of them. Nothing wrong with a G17 or G19 though.

Guest HvyMtl

5) It's customizable, just like a 1911.

Then just get the 1911. Parts are plentiful, and low priced, light enough, durable and reliable, accurate, tried and true design (proven in many wars), easy to work on, amoo is easy to get and reasonably priced (reloading is option, for both), in a EOTWAWKI, parts and ammo would be easy to find, as it has been around 100 years.

Point is this: Both Glock and 1911 meet the above requirements East_TN_Patriot listed. So do the other firearms listed. So, go with what you LIKE best, as you cannot make a poor decision here. (If you really like the firearm, you will handle, and practice with it more. It won't be a safe queen. )

The G17 is service pistol size with a longer slide and grip which offer more sight radius and more grip surface as well as three extra round's of ammunition. As an open carry, IDPA or like field it's a great pistol. However, the G19 is more of a defensive carry pistol with proportion's that make it more comfortable to carry and conceal. If you have larger hand's you might notice the difference in grip surface and shooting comfort but I've yet to talk with anyone who chouldn't shoot the G19 just as well as a G17. As for the 15 vs. 17 round's, that's really a non issue because G17 or G18 magazines can be used in the G19 as spare's or even primary if wanted. All in all the G19 is the better overall carry pistol and unless your wanting to ankle or coat pocket carry conceal's just as well as a G26.

Guest Lester Weevils

Sounds like a couple of factors between G17 and G19-- How much more accurately can you shoot with a longer sight radius? And would recoil make much difference between the two? IMO 9mm recoil is usually negligible. I'm affected by sight radius but many people are relatively immune to it.

If you google glock sight radius, the first couple of forum hits are pretty good discussing the magnitude of potential error due to sight radius, and there is also discussion about speed and balance between various glocks. It looks like there is only about a half inch difference in sight radius between G19 and G17 so perhaps for most folks that would be negligible unless your main pursuit is slow-fire target shooting?

The weight and "feel" of my beretta 92 versus stoegar cougar is so similar, maybe blindfolded a fella couldn't tell the two apart either grasping or shooting the two guns? Similar controls, trigger, and grip dimensions. Additionally, the rotating-barrel lockup of the cougar should be theoretically more inherently accurate than the 92 action. Lots of folks shoot cougar real accurately. The cougar has a 1 inch shorter sight radius than the 92, and my target groups with the cougar are looser than with the 92. It might be some other factor, but operation and feel is so similar between the two guns, the most likely explanation might be that I shoot long sight radius better. Some folks don't have that problem, and some claim you can aim-shoot short guns quicker than long guns, so if you like to play fast-acquisition games then maybe the short gun would be better even if the groups might be slightly looser?