Man Who Carried AK-47 Pistol In Park Loses Appeal

Wouldnt having your permit revoked in one state, prevent you from getting another, in a different state?

He already has another permit (from Florida I believe)... and no, in most shall issue states the fact that he has had a permit revoked here would not prevent him from getting a permit in another state.

These is some question as to whether re-applying here in TN, they would be required to issue him a new permit... Since the item they used to revoke his old permit is not one of the reasons they can deny issuing a permit for...

If he was denied... It would also likely allow him to re-open his appeal process, since he'd have a new action with which to challenge them not issuing him a permit.

Frankly is he's not moving I'm somewhat surprised he hasn't gone that route.... or even better yet applied for an HCP Instructors license ;)

Guest bkelm18

Open carry without a permit is legal there. I don't know if one has to be a resident or not though. I'm sure he's figured that out since he was planning on OCing a suppressed AR pistol earlier this year.

At the State House while they were in session no less. Doesn't matter how you cut it, this guy has a few screws loose.

At the State House while they were in session no less. Doesn't matter how you cut it, this guy has a few screws loose.

Kinda makes you wonder what would happen if they weren't expecting him. How about locals not knowing this guy's deal? What would someone carrying do if they saw him like that? I'm thinking it could have ended really bad and that's why he didn't do it.

Open carry without a permit is legal there. I don't know if one has to be a resident or not though. ...

To my knowledge, no state with constitutional open carry limits that to residents only.

Matter of fact, the only limitation for non-residents I've seen yet is the new concealed carry without permit in Wyoming.

- OS

Jonnin: "WHAT? Do a felony takedown of the guy for what reason?"

Hmm. I believe the officers were within the law to do a Felony stop.

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1302

39-17-1302. Prohibited weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs or sells:

(3) A machine gun;

(4) A short-barrel rifle or shotgun;

(d)

(2) An offense under subdivisions (a)(2)-(5) is a Class E felony.

Hmm, this guy has what looks like a shortened rifle or assault rifle (if fully automatic, or 3 round burst = "machine gun") and is walking around in a public place (park.)

Yep. Just my opinion, and I am no licensed attorney. Nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

A great tool: http://www.lexisnexi...ttopics/tncode/

I would buy everything you said if they had not already confronted him once to examine the weapon.

Simply put, they asked him what it was, I believe Kwik called it an ak-47 (a rifle) then corrected to pistol. At least that is what Kwik stated in another forum, he was banned from (I think it was the open carry forum.) The Ranger was unfamiliar with the pistol. The suspect tells him one thing, then another. Ranger discusses it with the other Ranger, and they do a Felony stop, as they are unsure about the firearm. Just because Kwik tells him its a pistol, does not make it a pistol. Also, they called the BATFE to confirm the firearm was a pistol, not a rifle, on a Sunday. The BATFE office is not fully staffed on a Sunday. Which also contributed to his delay. Also reasonable.

I suggest you go find all you can about this event. When you do, you probably will drop your argument.

Incredible that someone who went out of their way to cause a stir and elicit a reaction from law enforcement could be so inconvenienced by LEOs while he is just minding his own business walking around with an AK in a public park like so many other law abiding citizens do every day. What is the world coming to???<br /><br /><br />I feel the same way about this as I do about hippies. Yeah, I believe in their right to protest, but I do get pleasure from watching cops put the boots to them, or industrial amounts of pepper spray.

Edited by TMF
  • Like 3