Morgan County CLEO

Guest jr1977

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't tried....yet. A very old friend of mine said Sheriff Freytag is anti-gun. I was hoping to hear some success stories from other TGO posters in Morgan County.

I don't think there are very many Morgan County residents on the forum, at least not class 3 owners, that I know of anyhow. That's why I chimed in. Don't be surprised if you don't see much response.

I work in Morgan Co a lot, and haven't heard those sentiments about him, although they may be true.

What are you trying to get signed form 1 or 4?

I was going to start with a Form 1 (SBR an AR15 to 10 inches) to see how it went before moving into the larger financial transaction for an MP5. If he won't sign a Form 1 then it would never be feasible to even bother with a Form 4. I figure a Form 1 would allow me to feel the Sheriff out on his views of these items in his jurisdiction.

. I figure a Form 1 would allow me to feel the Sheriff out on his views of these items in his jurisdiction.

This is the very reason I asked. So get the Form 1 ready to sign, I he denies, the get an NFA Trust which allows you to bypass CLEO signature. Yeah it's an additional $600, but it's better than moving.

Tennessee law states that your Sheriff MUST sign your Form 1 or 4 unless they know of a reason that you are prohibited from owning firearms.

39-17-1361. Execution of documents by sheriff or chief of police. —

The sheriff or chief of police of the city of residence of a person purchasing any firearm, defined by the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. § 5845 et seq., shall execute within fifteen (15) business days of any request all documents required to be submitted by the purchaser if the purchaser is not prohibited from possessing firearms pursuant to § 39-17-1316.

Tennessee law states that your Sheriff MUST sign your Form 1 or 4 unless they know of a reason that you are prohibited from owning firearms.

39-17-1361. Execution of documents by sheriff or chief of police. —

The sheriff or chief of police of the city of residence of a person purchasing any firearm, defined by the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. § 5845 et seq., shall execute within fifteen (15) business days of any request all documents required to be submitted by the purchaser if the purchaser is not prohibited from possessing firearms pursuant to § 39-17-1316.

Excellent info, I was unaware of this.

Thanks Dolomite, I nabbed one off the internet before I went. Long story short, he will not sign on personal beliefs about these types of firearms. Explained my background and history as a 12 year USMC weapons' instructor with an active clearance and got the "if I sign for you I gotta sign for everyone" line. The law from 2003 also has an interesting twist as I learned today from a judge; no court can compel a refusing CLEO to sign off. Ain't that some crap? A law that can't judicially be enforced.

Thanks Dolomite, I nabbed one off the internet before I went. Long story short, he will not sign on personal beliefs about these types of firearms. Explained my background and history as a 12 year USMC weapons' instructor with an active clearance and got the "if I sign for you I gotta sign for everyone" line. The law from 2003 also has an interesting twist as I learned today from a judge; no court can compel a refusing CLEO to sign off. Ain't that some crap? A law that can't judicially be enforced.

Wow, that is complete BS. I would do an NFA trust and send him a letter telling him I didn't need his approval. But I'm in a very spiteful mood, clearer heads may prevail.

Did I mention how much abuse of power irritates me. Surely there is a way to fight this, even though it's not enforceable by a judge.

Edited by Lumber_Jack

Yeah I will just be the patient one and wait...gives me more time to save money. I sent an email to the ATF to find out what else to do in this situation, I'll keep you posted.

Yeah I will just be the patient one and wait...gives me more time to save money. I sent an email to the ATF to find out what else to do in this situation, I'll keep you posted.

Well I hear ya, there is a lot of great things in Morgan County, and politics isn't one of them.

If y'all are ever up Gobey on the Emory River tract, we manage the forestry up there.

I pulled this off of the MCSO website.

Mission Statement

The mission of the Morgan County Sheriff’s Office is to provide quality public based upon high ethical and professional standards. This mission is attained through a sincere commitment to public service. It includes preserving the peace and order of the agency service area, protecting life and property, preventing crime, apprehending criminals, recovering lost and stolen property, and enforcing laws fairly and impartially through conflict management and proactive enforcement techniques. The officers are committed to the rule of law and have a unique authority to investigate, arrest, search, seize, and use force as deemed reasonably necessary. It includes being both responsive and responsible to the public we serve. Our mission is public service, and we are proud of it.

http://www.tnmcso.com/mission.html

You should remind him that what you are doing is lawful and his "personal beliefs" have no place in this matter.

I remember when he was a State Trooper, I got a few tickets from him and got let off a few times too.

Well would I have to have the same paperwork for a suppressor

Yes, but you have to have a Form 4, and you have to purchase the suppressor PRIOR to filling out the paperwork. If the CLEO won't sign your stuck with a suppressor you can't take home. In your case I would set up an NFA trust wich allows you to skip the CLEO signature.