Morgan County CLEO

Guest jr1977

Contact the State's attorney genreal office and advise them the sheriff is refusing to sign something he is legally obligated to do so within 15 days. And if you get no respnse then send a letter to them, as well as the sheriff, with the CC list at the bottom with the names of every representative that represents you all the way to Washington. Maybe once the sheriff sees all those names he might come around. Or maybe he will make life miserable for you.

His personal feelings should not matter in this case. Sounds like he is lazy by just saying "no" to everyone rather than doing a background like he should. He is also acting cowardly by telling you "no" just so he can tell those who can't legally have them that he tells everyone "no". Just like those who follow a zero tolerance policy rather than actually making a educated decision.

I wonder if you could sue the sheriff's office ot him personally for denying you something are legally required to get. I know getting a trust would be cheaper in the begining but in the end they would be required to cover your legal fees if they are found to be wrong, which they are. Maybe if his illegal decisions cost him financially he would actually give a crap about doing what the law requires him to do.

I am lucky because my sheriff will sign off o my paperwork without a single question. He also does it without investigating you. I guess he figures the feds will catch anything he might miss.

Dolomite

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone on here has been extremely helpful and I must do some thinking about my next step. This is by far is the best gunholics anonymous club I have joined. I am awaiting word back from the ATF on who else has the power to sign. The family and I are preparing to open a gun store (Class 7 w/SOT 2) so this helps us narrow down where to look for commercial property lol.

I was going to start with a Form 1 (SBR an AR15 to 10 inches) to see how it went before moving into the larger financial transaction for an MP5. If he won't sign a Form 1 then it would never be feasible to even bother with a Form 4. I figure a Form 1 would allow me to feel the Sheriff out on his views of these items in his jurisdiction.

He is required by law to sign it... Tennessee has a law requiring CLEO to sign all ATF documents.

I would get a trust and avoid this guy. I have thought about an NFA trust and I live in Shelby County. The sheriff here signs, but it is a big hassle of going to downtown Memphis and taking off work and running a background check there.

Everyone on here has been extremely helpful and I must do some thinking about my next step. This is by far is the best gunholics anonymous club I have joined. I am awaiting word back from the ATF on who else has the power to sign. The family and I are preparing to open a gun store (Class 7 w/SOT 2) so this helps us narrow down where to look for commercial property lol.

In addition to the letter Dolomite suggested you send, you should also inform the local chamber of commerce, county commission, etc. that the Sheriff's unwillingness to perform a task he's legally obligated to do means you will not open a business in his jurisdiction. No cooperation = no tax revenue. Hit 'em where it hurts, in the wallet.

http://www.morgancountytn.org/commissioners.htm

http://morgancountychamber.com/board.html

I would get a trust and avoid this guy. I have thought about an NFA trust and I live in Shelby County. The sheriff here signs, but it is a big hassle of going to downtown Memphis and taking off work and running a background check there.

I outlined the exact process for Shelby County. Its not that big of deal. But if you have to take off work for it, then that does kinda suck.