Getting into Reloading

Good stuff, I went over to Reloader's bench today and dropped about $300. I didn't get anything to do with shotgun, that'll come later. I got all the hardware I'd need and a small amount of supplies to get started playin with some .45, and a book to tell me how to do it.

and a book to tell me how to do it.

That should have been the first thing you bought. Reloading is a good thing. I imagine you'll enjoy it, and if you are like most of us here, you'll sink a lot of money into it eventually. A lot of people knock Lee products because they are inexpensive. I've found they work great. My setup isn't the nicest in the world, but I've loaded untold thousands of rounds without a hitch. I build my bench with 2x4 and 2x6 lumber. If you build one, build it heavy. An old office desk can be made to work as well.

I have an old school type desk (solid wood) but it was too small. I bought some "hardwood panel board" from Homedepot. (they are heavy and have this white panel layer on it). I screwed those into the desk to extend the real estate. It also has long lips on either side to hang stuff like my press. it's very heavy even if the drawers empty.

I like the white panel layer because it's super easy to clean. It doesn't soak any liquids. it's smooth.

Lots of good options for a reloading bench but you will never be as happy as you will be if you design and build it yourself. I used reinforced end table when I was single. A modified school desk when I got married and the wife bought me my own building from one of those Mennonite builders and gave the cash to build the inside to suit me a few years ago. It got the stuff away from the house and designed the inside to suit me. I couldn't be happier.

Edited by Caster

Lots of good options for a reloading bench but you will never be as happy as you will be if you design and build it yourself. I used reinforced end table when I was single. A modified school desk when I got married and the wife bought me my own building from one of those Mennonite builders and gave the cash to build the inside to suit me a few years ago. It got the stuff away from the house and designed the inside to suit me. I couldn't be happier.

That's what I'm gonna do. I've just been procrastinating. in my case, it's good bit of work. I have to put a finish on it, since it's going in the house.

That's what I'm gonna do. I've just been procrastinating. in my case, it's good bit of work. I have to put a finish on it, since it's going in the house.

May I suggest instead of an actual finish you use some good birch plywood for the top. I used 3/4 cabinet grade birch plywood. Then i rubbed it down with Johnson's Paste Wax. It seals it against liquids, preserves it but doesn't leave a finish that can scratch or flake off like a varnish or ployurethane. I also didn't want to stain my bench top dark, I learned from my last set up that it absorbs light and this new, lighter finish sure helps reflect light in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the labor you want to put in. I started with an old RCBS RC, balance scale, and mic. Along with a Frankford Aresnal Tumbler seperator kit I think I had about 300 bucks in the slow rudimentary setup. I enjoyed it and now have a few grand in all my reloading stuff....but I can also crank out several hundred rounds an hour so...... However I still use the old single stage for my hunting or accuracy rounds. By the time you buy primers, powder, and bullets it will feel like you've spent alot. A few batches in and a full ammo can later and you will be grinning from ear to ear though :up: