Companies that do NOT make a 1911

Tennjed

A 1911 thread with a twist. Now that Ruger has joined the ranks of the 1911 makers, what major semi auto makers do not make a 1911 (or at least put their name on one). Also which of those companies do you want to see make one and which do you think would have the most sucess based on name only. So far I have:

Beretta

Walther

glock

HK

FN

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as this may shock and offend some out there, I'd really like to see a KelTec 1911. I think with a polymer frame to cut back on weight and hopefully a nice trigger they could have a winner, or at least be the first to try it that I'm aware of. The good news is it would pbably have a sub $500 MSRP. the bad news is due to everyone buying them to give first hand negative reviews coupled with KT's inability to meet demands they'd probably go for $800 on gunbroker.

Blasphemy I know, luckily I'm equipped with a good flame suit.

Could be, I haven't seen any that I can recall but then again I never looked all that hard either. That's one bug that hasn't bit quite yet.

I was also thinking )if you want to call it that) I keep hearing how great Henry rifles are, everyone I've seen was top notch, I bet they could make an impressive pistol if they felt inclined.

Saw a polymer framed Wilson Combat 1911 at one of the last gun shows I attended. Was considering buying it but they wanted too much for it.

Rock River Arms also makes a polymer frame 1911.

EDIT: I need to add that once the frame goes from steel to plastic, it's really no longer a 1911 IMO.

Edited by DaddyO

For anyone that has a poly 1911, wouldn't the reduced weight in the lower half change the recoil characteristics that make the 1911 so desirable to shoot.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Have not seen a poly but I have a colt with a lightweight frame and yes, it has a bit more recoil but it is easier to hold steady one handed for my wife.

For anyone that has a poly 1911, wouldn't the reduced weight in the lower half change the recoil characteristics that make the 1911 so desirable to shoot.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

I shoot and build a lot of poly 1911's. Mostly of the double wide mag sort and are called a 2011. So, they use all the same parts/specs as a regular 1911 except when it comes to the parts related to the mag (mag release, trigger bow etc..).

Like the RRA poly, these guns are lighter but only a by a little. The RRA 1911 is 4-6 ounces lighter than other 5" all steel guns depending on sights used etc.....

The shooting characteristics of a poly grip 1911 is very interesting compared to a all steel gun. IMO, the poly actually (as you can imagine) has some give in it, and will flex a bit, and therefore seems to shoot shoots softer. An aluminum gun has less weight, but still has the rigidity and so will actually be a little more violent to shoot. I really like shooting the poly guns. :)

EDIT: I need to add that once the frame goes from steel to plastic, it's really no longer a 1911 IMO.

The pistol whipping characteristics are superior in my 1911 vs. my Glock... or so says the random '80s snitch chained up in my basement.

not 100% sure on all these....

bersa?

kel tec

thompson (only contender pistols?)

bond arms (only derringers?)

browning (22 cal counts?)

diamondback

feg (?)

stoeger (?)

to name a few off the top of my head

I believe bersa makes one under the American classic name. Also Browing makes a 45 acp that us sold as a set with the 22lr

I think you are on the money on the others

I believe bersa makes one under the American classic name. Also Browing makes a 45 acp that us sold as a set with the 22lr

I think you are on the money on the others

American Classic is Metro Arms out of the Phillipines. Bersa does not make one.

As to the poly frame 1911, BUL in Israel made one which Kimber tried to Import under their name. I think CD also brought in the BUL under their name after Kimber tried.

American Classic is Metro Arms out of the Phillipines. Bersa does not make one.

As to the poly frame 1911, BUL in Israel made one which Kimber tried to Import under their name. I think CD also brought in the BUL under their name after Kimber tried.

Good info. Buds website list the american classic under Bersa, but they are known to have incorrect descriptions

Edited by Tennjed

One of the first Poly 1911's I can remember was the Kimber BP.I had one years back. It shot like sub-compact 1911 as far as recoil.....trigger wasn't great either. Bought it for $700 but couldn't sell it for more than $500. No one wanted it......bone head move in my 1911 days.

untitled-3.png