Weekend in Atlanta

jhc77

My wife has a conference on Friday. She had an idea that me and the little one tag along and make a weekend of it. We have some stuff planned Saturday. Me and my boy are on are own Friday. I'm trying to figure what I shouldn't take with me firearm wise, as I'd love to fill my sons bag with my stuff. I am a little nervous as I haven't been down there before but the stereotypes and stories keep flooding my bald head. Staying in the Peachtree area. Am I just psyching myself out or is it an armpit of an area like you hear and read about?

atlanta is a major city. It has violent ghettos and criminals by the ton, and it has some of the nicest places to go in a 300 mile radius as well. Your TN carry permit is valid there, and I would use it. But if you stay out of the ghetto and away from public transportation, you are usually safe. Watch out for people that try to hustle you, the ghetto hustle is popular down there where someone will run up to your car and wipe a towel on it and try to charge you for cleaning the window, or they will run up with a sob story, etc.

It should be obvious if you are in a nice area or not. If not, you need to relocate with rapidity. When you start seeing spray paint on actual business exteriors, boarded up doors and windows, large numbers of urban outdoorsmen, or the like, its time to go.

DO NOT EVER let yourself get caught down there during the african american "college festival" if they still do that. Just do not do it.

Guest rebeldrummer

Atlanta is a good town. Stay in good areas, like any city and you'll be fine.

Get some Varsity chili dogs while you're there. Get your kid a frosted orange.

Have fun.

^^^ this, great place to go! ^^^

First, the Peachtree area is pretty much all of Atlanta. Kinda like being on OHB or Harding in Nashville.

The Atlanta area has some of the coolest local businesses. My personal favorite is Highland Woodworking, but as MacGyver mentioned, a Varsity chili dog is pretty hard to beat (and as a Reds fan, it hurts to recommend anything but a Skyline dog).

What's a Heavy Dog? Chili Cheese Slaw Dog! Looks like lunch on Friday! Thanks MacGyver. I plan on carrying too Jonin, I've already spent time on usacarry and georgiapacking.org. And if I get a random car wash at a stop light, there will be a big issue. I wouldn't touch a car if you can't see who's driving! Cash only on the tint job.

• Admin Team

What's a Heavy Dog? Chili Cheese Slaw Dog! Looks like lunch on Friday! Thanks MacGyver. I plan on carrying too Jonin, I've already spent time on usacarry and georgiapacking.org. And if I get a random car wash at a stop light, there will be a big issue. I wouldn't touch a car if you can't see who's driving! Cash only on the tint job.

If you hit the Varsity make sure you get an order of rings and a fried peach pie, too. I have friends who have moved all over the nation, but when they come home for Thanksgiving, they go eat at the Varsity. It's one of the only places I've ever been where you can see a guy in a $2000 suit and a guy who doesn't have $2 to his name standing next to one another eating the same chili dog and drinking a Coke.

My three year old thinks it's the funniest thing in the world to order a yankee dog walkin' (a hot dog with a yellow stripe down it's back to go).

Great place to visit. You and your family will have a good time. Disregard the post about the African Americans. Most normal people have gotten accustomed to their right to exist. As mentioned earlier enjoy the aquarium and lots of good food.

Crime is about what you would expect to find in a major American city. As for me, I always carry where allowed.

Enjoy

Heading out in the AM. Thanks for the information. I'll check in when I can, most likely Sunday afternoon when we are back at the house. I try to stay off electronic gadgets when on vacation. Hasn't worked yet. These things are hard to put down sometimes.

Great place to visit. You and your family will have a good time. Disregard the post about the African Americans. Most normal people have gotten accustomed to their right to exist. As mentioned earlier enjoy the aquarium and lots of good food.

Crime is about what you would expect to find in a major American city. As for me, I always carry where allowed.

Enjoy

I have no problem at all with african americans. Or anyone else. If you had ever been down there during the freetnic (spelling??) event you would know what I was talking about. Stores were robbed by flash mobs. People were raped. Huge groups were walking around doing a wide variety of things from having fun (fine by me) to hurting people (not so good). People of various races are important to the country and I am very live & let live. Out of control mobs of out of town 18 year olds let loose on a city with no adult control or supervision was another story. I was down there in the middle of it one year.

I would be equally concerned if there were a redneck festival of 2000000 19 year old idiots let loose and would expect similar results. But no one does that to my knowledge. In this case, african american is simple a description of the event. Basically its a Florida spring break crowd dropped into a place that was unprepared for that sort of thing --- and by being unprepared, all hell broke loose.

Edited by Jonnin

There went my thread. I guess lock this thing up if it's going to get highjacked.

dlm37015: Looks like a really nice place, but my 3 year old won't behave long enough for me to enjoy the atmosphere and filet. :drool:

Edited by JHC77

Enjoy

Edit* just saw the post above.

I think he was referring to Freaknik which has now become the Black College Spring Break, which from 93-96 gained a very bad reputation among residents, due in large part to violence. But, anytime you have a giant party of 250K people, bad things are bound to happen.

Edited by AU_88
  • Like 1

they stopped it? well nevermind then --- sorry for the mention. I had a bad experience, lets leave it there. time warp... but I rememebered it as a fall thing, and it being fall, is the only reason I said anything.

Edited by Jonnin