Weekend in Atlanta

jhc77

I think my favorite was fogo de chao, all you can eat meat & salad, perfect for the atkins in all of us. But its a wee bit more than I usually care to pay and not sure I would take small children there as a first choice. I think its currently $50 a pop.

Love the spaghetti factory.

Edited by Jonnin

Zoo done and just wandered from the hotel for dinner. Found a great Italian place with one other customer at 6:30. Left the zoo at 4:45. GPS said 10 minute ride, took 25. My wife thank goodness was in the back with the boy. Just told her to put her head down, turn the AC up back there and hang on. Haven't gotten to experience that traffic before. Blinker...what's that? Random parks and The Varsity for lunch on Friday. Random sighting of the day, local transit bus driver drinking Listerine. On duty. No swish and spit for this fella.

Guest Lester Weevils

There are some good bbq places in hotlanta but can't recall names any more or know if they are in biz. Last time there was a largish bbq place out in marietta, in the vicinity of the big chicken and the big cow (local landmarks). Took daughter there years ago after taking her to the water park. This place served sweet tea in giant glasses, sweet enough to bring on diabetic coma, and real good bbq. Half barbequed chickens and such. Big enough servings of fries to kill you after the tea brings on the coma.

Edited by Lester Weevils

. Random sighting of the day, local transit bus driver drinking Listerine. On duty. No swish and spit for this fella.

:stare: Hope you didn't get on that bus.

One time I found an urban outdoorsman passed out behind behind my office with his pants around his ankles and an empty bottle of Walgreen's mouthwash beside him. Apparently, the stuff is about 60 proof.

My small children really enjoyed the World of Coca Cola. Make sure you try the famous Brazialian root drink, really quenches the thirst. They do make you go through metal detectors. I had to hide my precious case peanut knife once outside in the bushes in the mulch. Like to have never found it afterwards. Anyway, small 10 min. movie for the kids, then some pictures with the stuffed large polar bear. Then make sure you go to the drink fountain room and you can drink all you can hold of all coca cola products both in the U.S. and around the world. Then I think they give you a souviner bottle of coke. It really is cool. We are going back in about two weeks. Sign up on their web site, and they will send you a coupon for 4 tickets for $40, and my wife keeps and registers all of the coke codes on caps, I think we have a couple of free tickes waiting on us too. Enjoy.

Made it back fine. Ate at The Varsity before heading home and didn't realize that MTSU was at Ga Tech today. If you stay around the good local areas everything is fine. Definitly to big city for me. Passed a few gun shops but either didn't have time or just couldn't change lanes. Spent Friday and Saturday trolling around the Buckhead area. Saw some nice cars, best was this morning, Bently convertible. Who knows, I might go again next year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dfsixstring

Update: well, took my family to "The Varsity" last night. It was awful. The food wasn't fresh and the service horrible. Oh we'll, live and learn. At least the weather here is gorgeous.

Dfsixstring

SR9c

LCP

RST4S

Btw if you havent noticed traffic flows around 90+, which is a good avg speed, so keep up.

Yeah... if you drive the posted speed limit, you will get run over.

Several years ago the missus and I went down there for the weekend. We took the metro and went to underground Atlanta. I'm not sure what it's like nowadays, but back then it was pretty interesting. Probably not the place if you've a youngster in tow.

Kids on fall break this week. We were in Atlanta yesterday. We have young kids, so we went to the Coke musuem and the kids musuem. The wife had to do IKEA. Day trip only. I was going to stop by Adventure Outdoors on the way back (supposedly largest gun store in Georgia), but traffic was bumper to bumper on i75 around 4pm yesterday, we decided not too. I like my humble little town in East Tennesee. Two red lights and two patrol cars. A hardees, general dollar and no walmart. Life is great.

Update: well, took my family to "The Varsity" last night. It was awful. The food wasn't fresh and the service horrible. Oh we'll, live and learn. At least the weather here is gorgeous.

Dfsixstring

SR9c

LCP

RST4S

I hate that place. The food is just horrid and the folks at the counter are impatient. We used to do a "right before closing" run from tech, half the campus would head over there for a late night snack. That was fun, in spite of the bad food, and the staff seemed to be in good spirits about the huge crowd rather than grumpy about going home late, which is a big +++ in their favor.

Consider it a must-do-once sort of place, a rite of passage or something.

Guest Lester Weevils

When I was a tech dorm-rat it was the prehistoric era where we would go eat that greasy food and watch star-trek first-series, network first-runs on the joint's color TV's. There was perpetual debate whether the Krystal of that era or the Varsity was capable of generating the worst heartburn. It was whatever Krystal used for onions back then, but mainly just grease content at the Varsity.

Dunno, they probably long ago closed that big Tech-operated school cafeteria in the big gothic-looking brick building across from the stadium. Haven't been there for decades. The then-prevailing theory on that joint was that the dieticians prime directive was that no dorm rat would ever be constipated. That cafeteria stuff went in one end and then blew out the other end likkity split like clockwork. :)

Update: well, took my family to "The Varsity" last night. It was awful. The food wasn't fresh and the service horrible. ...

It was ever thus. Ate there first in the 60's and maybe once or twice more in the 70's (not my choice). Has always made a Krystal taste like fancy French cooking by comparison.

Don't know why the "mystique" has survived. Only real claim to fame was that it was the first "fast food" joint in the south, maybe in the US -- and that the original location is still the largest drive-in fast food place in the world, according to Wiki.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

It was ever thus. Ate there first in the 60's and maybe once or twice more in the 70's (not my choice). Has always made a Krystal taste like fancy French cooking by comparison.

Don't know why the "mystique" has survived. Only real claim to fame was that it was the first "fast food" joint in the south, maybe in the US -- and that the original location is still the largest drive-in fast food place in the world, according to Wiki.

- OS

Lol, I've always tried to stay away from any food that is on the chart BELOW a Krystal.

Been to ATL dozens of times and never thought twice about heading over to the big V. I feel it's the same as many places in anytown USA. Whole lotta hype and buildup for a major upset at the end. Like a strip joint :)

Guest Lester Weevils

OK, I get it. Wifey asks, "Does this dress make my butt look too big?" Any hubbie who just so happens to be an epicurean connoisseur of the gargantuan derriere might be forced to truthfully reply, "No dear, unfortunately it does not." :)