Looking at a Saiga - .223 or 7.62?

G27

I know the caliber debates have raged for an eternity, but if you could have only one good long gun round, what would it be? I've shot rifles for years but don't currently own one, so I'm hoping to get some advice from you experienced folks...

TIA,

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will depend entirely on what you want to do with it.

For going to the range and punching holes I suspect you could come out much cheaper than a Saiga. There are plenty of bolt guns in cheap calibers out there. The Mosin Nagant is one.

I am really sold on the Saiga in .223 as HD and fun plinking gun. Yeah the ammo is a little more than 7.62. But you get a choice of bullet styles for HD that you cannot get with 7.62. And the round is better for inside the house as well.

Guest grimel

It's an AK so accuracy won't likely be it's strong suite (good for 300ish). What you want to do would be the determining factor. The commie short is cheaper (lots cheaper) to shoot. High cap mags are a lot easier to find for the 7.62, add 5 US parts and file about 5 min on the mag catch and the world of cheap AK mags is yours.

I have a 223 waiting and a 7.62x39, then a 12ga, then a 308 Saiga on my list in that order.

Thanks for the input so far. I'm really looking for that 'magic gun' that does everything (I know it doesn't exist). Basically, it will primarily be a range gun, but I want something that can be pressed into service as a self defense weapon if needed. On top of that, I'd like something that would allow me to hunt/defend my family better than my Glock or KelTec Sub2k if the S ever HTF, however unlikely that may be.

I know, I really need two or three rifles to do all this, but in order of importance:

1] range - I love to shoot and practice with my weapons, so it will get used at the range a good bit. Proficiency is very important to me.

2] home defense

3] same as #2 but broader in scope - hunting to provide food or even defending myself/family from threat some distance away.

I know #2 and #3 are generally mutually exclusive - anything that can go far is probably not best for home defense due to over-penetration, but I'm hoping some of the fine wisdom on this forum will help me determine which gun/caliber is the best compromise across the board for an initial purchase (knowing I can add more later if I feel the need).

Marlin 30-30 lever gun. Ammo is relatively inexpensive. Gun is relatively accurate. Will penetrate but not as much as other rifle calibers. Has killed more deer in the US than any other caliber.

I own several high powered rifles, but I have killed more deer with my 30-30 than any of my other rifles. I have taken deer out to 250 yards with it. It is a great brush gun.

In a Saiga get the 7.62x39. It is ballistically similar to 30-30 and will get out as far as anyone around here would need. Not to mention all the cheap AK benefits it has. reliability, easy to care for, accessories won't cost more than the gun, mags, ammo cost, etc.

For hunting ammo check with Centerifresystems.com. they usuall have pretty good deals on 7.62x39 as well as the hard to find 154g SP. It is a decent expanding hunting round.

The Marlin lever is a great idea, but I think for now I'm going to focus on something that I may not be able to get later. The lever guns won't be banned if they renew the AWB, but many modern rifles will be...

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

Saiga in .223 or 7.62x39?

Both, of course. Then a .308. Then a 12ga. Then a few more of each.

Keep buying Saigas. You'll have to do so. They're an addiction. :)

If you're just wanting to buy one, get the 7.62x39. For all the aforementioned reasons, it has all the advantages of a standard AK.

I think I'm going to start with the .223 - seems more versatile and frankly - if it came to it - I could hunt with it. Thanks for all the input and advice - it's really appreciated!

In my experience with TN and hunting, if you are hunting on land with a lot of trees with branches and brush 223 is not a very good round to hunt with. I have on a few occasions taken a shot at a deer with my ar to have the bullet hit a twig or some brush and miss the target. Which is why I only deer hunt now with 30-06. So, if you are looking to hunt anything of size with it, I would go with the 7.62.

I think I'm going to start with the .223 - seems more versatile and frankly - if it came to it - I could hunt with it. Thanks for all the input and advice - it's really appreciated!

Using that criteria you should go with 7.62x39. Either way you're fin IMO. Think of the .223 as a suped up .22 and the 7.62x39 a scaled back .308.

Guest grimel
In my experience with TN and hunting, if you are hunting on land with a lot of trees with branches and brush 223 is not a very good round to hunt with. I have on a few occasions taken a shot at a deer with my ar to have the bullet hit a twig or some brush and miss the target. Which is why I only deer hunt now with 30-06. So, if you are looking to hunt anything of size with it, I would go with the 7.62.

Hit brush with a 30-06 and get the same result.

Guest grimel

No matter to me either way, but, how do you figure the 223 is mor versatile? Hunting with the 7.62x39 isn't hard or even trick, it's a semi-auto 30-30 with ballistically better bullets.

No matter to me either way, but, how do you figure the 223 is mor versatile?

Was thinking about more variable types of ammo (hunting, defense, etc.).

Argh, I dunno. I guess it really doesn't matter - I just need to pick one and get it. I'm almost certain we're going to see another AWB soon so I want to get something before that happens (or is hinted at enough that prices skyrocket).

Why not go with the Saiga in .308. It's a proven round out to a 1000 yards. You can still get surplus ammo rather cheaply and it's more powerful than the 7.62x39. It is a bit too powerful for HD though.

Why not go with the Saiga in .308. It's a proven round out to a 1000 yards. You can still get surplus ammo rather cheaply and it's more powerful than the 7.62x39. It is a bit too powerful for HD though.

Good point, and while I appreciate your input (giving me more to consider), I now hate you for broadening my horizons...

hehe

Seriously, thanks.

Guest Steelharp
Which is why I only deer hunt now with 30-06. So, if you are looking to hunt anything of size with it, I would go with the 7.62.

Isn't it illegal to hunt deer in TN with anything less than a .30, anyway?

Keep in mind, guys, that I'm speaking of hunting in case of survival (SHTF type of incident). Not that I think it's probable, but legality isn't an issue - if the SHTF and I need to feed my family, I won't be too concerned with hunting laws...

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly
Isn't it illegal to hunt deer in TN with anything less than a .30, anyway?

I'm pretty sure you can use any centerfire cartridge.

I know the caliber debates have raged for an eternity, but if you could have only one good long gun round, what would it be? I've shot rifles for years but don't currently own one, so I'm hoping to get some advice from you experienced folks...

TIA,

7.62 NATO aka .308 Winchester

Guest grimel
Was thinking about more variable types of ammo (hunting, defense, etc.).

Argh, I dunno. I guess it really doesn't matter - I just need to pick one and get it. I'm almost certain we're going to see another AWB soon so I want to get something before that happens (or is hinted at enough that prices skyrocket).

You can get ammo to plink, hunt, or defense in the 7.62x39. AND it's, generally, cheaper to feed.