Best quality target ammo?

What is the best quality ammo (FMJ) for target practice type use?

I have heard that Winchester white box and bulk federal is lower powered and doesnt cycle semi autos all the time. Is American Eagle good?

I dont have the space to reload my own ammo, but that would be the best way to verify quality and maintain low cost.

This is also some that I would have put away for a rainy day, wouldnt want it to be bad if/when i pulled it out because i needed it.

Mostly looking at 9mm .45acp .380acp .357sig and 5.56 right now

I would say those semi-autos that aren't cycling with Winchester white box or cheap Federal (which IS American Eagle) are in need of tuning and/or repair. I've gone through lots of both in most popular calibers with no trouble. I like Federal brass for reloading, so if American Eagle is the same money as the rest, it's my pick.

For an AR, Blackhills reloads are some of the best for the money. Grab their 69 grain match loads and be amazed. They are not as cheap as green box Remington or Federal but you also can't shoot sub MOA with them either.

If you want accurate and cheap get into reloading. Blaster ammo I load is better than accurate factory loads in my guns. Even better than the Blackhills I mention earlier.

Dolomite

Depends on what you call "target ammo". Any FMJ? Under a quarter a round for say, 9mm?

I've always considered 124gr. as the "standard" for 9mm, since it's NATO spec. (But of course NATO spec ammo is essentially +p powder load, too.)

Most all the least expensive 9mm is 115 gr. One exception is the RWS stuff from Switzerland, 124 gr, not exactly NATO hot, but certainly not underpowered. Cost more than WWB or Tula, but not outrageous. They still sell that at Wally's?

note: I generally buy the cheapest I can find, brass or steel, mostly 115gr. :)

For .223 I shoot various Russian steel 90% of the time, but I'm not too concerned with ultimate target precision either.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

None of this stuff is "best quality target ammo". The stuff listed is "cheap plinking ammo" (of good quality, but the words you used?? indicate a desire for something better than bulk blasting). I am not even sure anyone sells match grade pistol ammo outside the .22 LR, most such shooters make their own (?). You might find some in 9 and 45 or revolver rounds?

S&B is pretty good for the 45 and 380, or it used to be. Last time I shot it (maybe 2 years ago?) the 45s made outstanding groups in my gun at 30 yards, I blame the group size on the shooter not the ammo. But every gun is different.

If reloading is an option you get both for 1/2 the cost or less (quality and cheap, at the cost of personal time and initial investment). 380 alone you can make for $3-4 a box, costs like $12+ off the shelf..... adds up fast.

I've never had any trouble with target ammo cycling my semiautos. I have had other problems - bad primers, bullet/case separations, etc. But I've had bad primers with reloads. As for accuracy --- all ammo is more accurate than I am. :D

a big one would . i started with on old hearters press still have it still use it some times i started reloading over 40 years ago. seems like a long time ago having my 40th high school renioun this weekend time sure does fly when your having fun