TLRMADE AK47 Build

TLRMADE

So everybody is probably familiar with the problems that I had with the canted front sight post on an Arsenal I bought earlier this year. I decided to just get my money back out of the rifle after it was fixed. I successfully did that. The main reason for selling the Arsenal was bc I saw that for the same amount of money or even less I could build the AK that I wanted.

Last week I picked up an unconverted Saiga 7.62x39 from hipower on here. I just ordered the conversion items from Carolina Shooters Supply. I am going to have Nathan "AK Guy" do the conversion for me.

With Nathan's help I have put together a list of parts and modifications for my build. I figured I would share my build with everybody and see what everybody's inputs on the parts I'm going to use. I would like negative and positive feedback on parts if anybody has used any of the ones that I plan on using. I also plan to go with a black/od green theme.

Ill try to keep this updated as the build comes along!

Here's the rifle as it sits right now.

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/12/ugape8es.jpg[/IMG] Edited by TLRMADE
  • Like 2
Midwest Industries quad rail:

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/12/ryty9ypu.jpg[/IMG]

Bonesteel Folding Stock:

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/12/uja4eza2.jpg[/IMG]

Texas Weapon Systems Dogleg rail gen2:

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/12/ga2yhary.jpg[/IMG]

Spikes Tactical Dynacomp:

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/12/jysamuzy.jpg[/IMG]
  • Like 1
Looks like good choices on your AK items. No it does not appear that your barrel is threaded. I've already been down this road, it was fun. Instead of letting some one else do this...have them guide you. It's really easy and fun. Do it once and you can build just about all AKs'
  • Like 2
[quote name='kwe45919' timestamp='1352688849' post='844096']Looks like good choices on your AK items. No it does not appear that your barrel is threaded. I've already been down this road, it was fun. Instead of letting some one else do this...have them guide you. It's really easy and fun. Do it once and you can build just about all AKs'[/quote]

Yea I read a little bit about the barrels being threaded. Some said the only way to find out is to cut off the cover in front of the sight post and see if it will unscrew. They said if its not threaded that it will still help you out by cutting it off to get it threaded.

[quote name='C.lunn' timestamp='1352683485' post='844045']Glad to see someone else build one on here :) I'll be keeping tabs.

I'm curious about the Dog Leg Rail and muzzle brake.[/quote]

Yea haven't heard too much about the dog leg rail except from Nathan. Yeager did a review of this same comp on a AK74 and seemed to like it. Reason I chose it is I wanted a brake that will throw some flames! Haha

[quote name='Woody' timestamp='1352687587' post='844089']I've been thinking about doing one of these projects too. I guess now's the time to get busy. I need to find a rifle and get busy.[/quote]

Better grab one quick! I went past Outpost today to look at some grips and the guy said they sold out their entire stock of converted and unconverted saigas last week......wonder why.....
[quote name='vujade' timestamp='1352691736' post='844125']I really like the dog leg rail; my sister has it on her saiga with a Primary Arms micro dot. It's a great set up.[/quote]

Good deal! That's what I wanted to hear! I might try a Vortex Sparc...just dunno about the co-witness?
  • Like 1
not sure about co-witnessing, on the AK, the dog leg attaches to where the rear sight would be.

At least her dog leg rail came with a rear peep sight that even without a red dot, she uses that to great effect. I don't remember but with the red dot, i think the peep sight would be too low. it's a good back up though, just rip out the red dot when it's bad and you have peep sights. Edited by vujade
They are actually pretty easy to do. The receiver started life as a REAL AK receiver so all the cut outs and holes are there. You just need to remove all the covers to expose them. I have done several now and it takes me about an hour to do, maybe a little over.

And personally if I was in the market for an AK I would start with a Saiga. They are current production guns made in Russia. They are probably the best deal out there in the AK world.

Dolomite
[quote name='Caster' timestamp='1352754142' post='844424']
Grill stock! That's about as great as a shovel stock!

[img]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/Akshovel.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Complete with guitar sling!!
The conversion is alot of fun, its not too hard. The hardest part for me was drilling and tapping for the bullet guide. Let me know if i can be of any assistance. Heres how mine turned out

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/53086-saiga-front-end-converted-its-done/#entry821111
[quote name='reed1285' timestamp='1352777612' post='844646']The conversion is alot of fun, its not too hard. The hardest part for me was drilling and tapping for the bullet guide. Let me know if i can be of any assistance. Heres how mine turned out

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/53086-saiga-front-end-converted-its-done/#entry821111[/quote]

Did yours have a threaded barrel? How can I tell if mine is threaded?
Im in the same shape as you on that part. Mine looks like yours. Im about 80% sure mine is. From what ive researched about it online, the ones made in 09 or later are threaded. Dont take that as fact though. Regardless if its threaded or not, that shroud has to come off of the end of the barrel. If its not threaded CSS sells the correct die to thread it. They also sell the die alignment tool to make sure its perfectly lined up.
[quote name='reed1285' timestamp='1352778395' post='844657']Im in the same shape as you on that part. Mine looks like yours. Im about 80% sure mine is. From what ive researched about it online, the ones made in 09 or later are threaded. Dont take that as fact though. Regardless if its threaded or not, that shroud has to come off of the end of the barrel. If its not threaded CSS sells the correct die to thread it. They also sell the die alignment tool to make sure its perfectly lined up.[/quote]

Yea I think mine is threaded.....it ended up having a flat trunion. Nathan said that like 90% have curved ones....dunno what that means about mine? I mean I bought my Arsenal this past spring and had to send it back for warranty work and the warranty had already expired even though I bought it brand new. They said it must have set on the shelf for a while? So I can't really tell how old my Saiga is even though it was bought earlier this year?
[quote name='TLRMADE' timestamp='1352691813' post='844130']

Good deal! That's what I wanted to hear! I might try a Vortex Sparc...just dunno about the co-witness?[/quote]
It won't co-witness. Come by and you can see mine on the Draco. It has the Sparc as well. Do a search on the TWS and you will see what I've been saying about it.
[IMG]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/nsnate02/Guns/Untitled.jpg[/IMG] Edited by AK Guy
[quote name='AK Guy' timestamp='1352779195' post='844664']
It won't co-witness. Come by and you can see mine on the Draco. It had the Sparc as well.
[IMG]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/nsnate02/Guns/Untitled.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Lets trade....I want that Draco!
[quote name='TLRMADE' timestamp='1352778967' post='844660']

Yea I think mine is threaded.....it ended up having a flat trunion. Nathan said that like 90% have curved ones....dunno what that means about mine? I mean I bought my Arsenal this past spring and had to send it back for warranty work and the warranty had already expired even though I bought it brand new. They said it must have set on the shelf for a while? So I can't really tell how old my Saiga is even though it was bought earlier this year?[/quote]

Mine had a round trunion, ive seen the ones with the flat trunions as well. Not sure what the difference is either.