I started this petition. Hopefully it will help regain some of the 2nd Amendment

Guest bama9393

I am all for those who have paid their dues to regain their gun right providing the crime was not violent in nature. Domestic violence is violent by nature. So there is no way anyone who has plead guilty to or been convicted of domestic violence should have a gun in their possession.

Also, any man who is violent towards a women is a slimy POS and should face far worse penalties than just loosing their gun rights. They are an animal and should be treated as such. They should have to pay the women for what will become a lifetime of hurt the women will have to endure after a violent attack.

I can't wrap my mind around why you are posting this.

Dolomite
  • Like 2
I am gonna have to agree with Dolomite and personDJ.

If you weren't guilty, you shouldn't have plead.

If you are guilty, you shouldn't be allowed to have a gun.

Pretty cut and dry here.

I don't like all the laws involving my rights, but the problem is that sometimes, someone shouldn't have them. If you are a violent person, or a career criminal, I don't want you having guns. I don't want you making me look bad when I play by the rules.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need laws, everyone would behave and know how to act. This isn't a perfect world; and there are a lot of stupid people out there.
[quote name='personDJ' timestamp='1352851188' post='845081']
anyone who is dumb enough to plead guilty for something they didn't do should not have a gun.
[/quote]You obviously know nothing about the domestic violence laws!
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1352856272' post='845136']
Please explain then.

Dolomite
[/quote]All it takes is an argument, and a bruise, even a small bruise! To many people hear the word domestic violence, and envision a woman that has been beat up!
Women will even create their own bruise(s), when the husband tells her he wants a divorce!
[quote name='CCI' timestamp='1352857163' post='845145']All it takes is an argument, and a bruise, even a small bruise! To many people hear the word domestic violence, and envision a woman that has been beat up!
Women will even create their own bruise(s), when the husband tells her he wants a divorce![/quote]

Don't marry and crazy broad and don't plead guilty to a crime you didn't commit. We all make choices blah blah blah....
  • Like 1
Yes, but in all my years in LE I have yet to see one person be forced to plead guilty. The judge asks the defendent if he agrees to the plea and when the person says "yes" they become convicted of domestic abuse. If you don't want to plea then go to trial, that way you can explain your side of the story and let the jury make the decision.

Heck, in a lot of cases they will let the abuser plea down to a lesser charge if it is their first time.

A bruise is all it takes IMHO. If you are manhandling a women enough to leave a bruise then you are a POS and should loose [u]everything[/u]. Not just your gun rights. And most of those who[u] are [/u]abusers tned to be whiny asses and will cry anytime they think they are being abused.

If you lay hands on a women during an argument in order to comtrol her or win the argument you are a POS.

Dolomite
  • Like 6
If DV is such a serious problem, it should be a felony, not a misdemeanor charge. A misdemeanor conviction should not prevent a person from owning/carrying a firearm period. If the crime is so outrageous it should be a felony.

[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1352858000' post='845156']
Yes, but in all my years in LE I have yet to see one person be forced to plead guilty. The judge asks the defendent if he agrees to the plea and when the person says "yes" they become convicted of domestic abuse. If you don't want to plea then go to trial, that way you can explain your side of the story and let the jury make the decision.

Heck, in a lot of cases they will let the abuser plea down to a lesser charge if it is their first time.

A bruise is all it takes IMHO. If you are manhandling a women enough to leave a bruise then you are a POS and should loose [u]everything[/u]. Not just your gun rights. And most of those who[u] are [/u]abusers tned to be whiny asses and will cry anytime they think they are being abused.

If you lay hands on a women during an argument in order to comtrol her or win the argument you are a POS.

Dolomite
[/quote] Edited by JayC
  • Like 2

Please don't attack me as I'm sort of just thinking out loud here and I wish one or two criminal lawyers would chime in here but I can believe that a person might be advised by their attorney to plead guilty to a crime they didn't commit as being the best overall choice to pleading not guilty, going through a trial, the expense. etc.

Plus, it's at least my impression that the laws surrounding "domestic violence" heavily favor the women (or at least, the one making the initial complaint) - it's a "crime" that seems to carry a heavy penalty without requiring a whole lot of evidence; I suspect as an overreaction to all the years that the problem was ignored by society. if so, then I could easily see someone who did nothing actually wrong being accused and being found/pleading "guilty" to the crime.

From reading some of the posts here so far, I'm thinking some would be in favor of capital punishment for speeding or j-walking. ;)

Edited by RobertNashville
I think an attorney MIGHT be able to talk me into pleading guilty for writing bad checks, slander, or other minor things even though I have done none of them. Sometimes it is easier to plead out than to go to trial, even if you are innocent. However, crimes like domestic violence and sexual misconduct carry penalties that last longer than murder in some cases. I realize that in some cases these penalties like registrations for the rest of your life go against your right to do your time then be done with it, but they are there never the less.

I agree with Dolomite that anyone who would lay hands on a woman is a POS. I further say that there is nothing any lawyer could say to be that would cause me to plead guilty to one of these "forever punishment" crimes that I did not do.

Anyone who is dumb enough to plead guilty to a domestic crime or sex crime they did not do is not someone I, for one, want to ever be armed again. They are just too dumb. Just my opinion.
  • Like 1
It is the fact it is a VIOLENT crime more so than felony vs misdemeanor.

And as I said before those that use violence to win an argument should NEVER be allowed to own a gun or use a gun for anything be it hunting or defending themselves.

So if DV was a felony there would not be an issue? I guess that needs to be the next big push. Making DV a celony with mandatory minimums. That way people will think twice before beating their spouse or significant other. Personally I would like to see the first offense be a six month mandatory sentence if thy plead or are found guilty. Second offense a felony and loss of all rights as well as a 1 year minimum and a $25,000 fine to be paid to the victim to cover counseling.

Dolomite

Let's start off with this. I do not care about this petition, when it was first posted I looked at it and then decided not to sign it. Domestic violence was a major part of my childhood and do not condone it.

If you don't agree with something, don't sign the petition. Great, speak your mind about it and move on. But where does it say if someone doesn't agree with something then the link should be deleted? I read through the code of conduct and I may have missed what part of the code this violated, but I didn't see a reason why this should have been deleted. Your house your rules, I get that. But as much as this forum preaches about maintaining our various freedoms, I really didn't expect this.
  • Like 3
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1352858000' post='845156']...A bruise is all it takes IMHO.[/quote]I'm not going to go into any detail but I've known women who would and did bruise very easily just from a very consensual and mild sexual encounter.

I'm no expert on the matter nor am I trying to make light of the very real and very dangerous situation women (and men for that matter) can face from domestic violence; I just don't like the way the deck seems to be stacked against the accused in domestic violence situations and how untenable the situation could be for the accused; even if he has done nothing wrong.

[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1352857811' post='845152']
Don't marry and crazy broad and don't plead guilty to a crime you didn't commit. We all make choices blah blah blah....
[/quote]I guess I was lucky, my ex wasn't a crazy woman but if I had a crystal ball as good as yours must be I would not have married her in the first place. ;)

[quote name='wewoapsiak' timestamp='1352918952' post='845592']
Let's start off with this. I do not care about this petition, when it was first posted I looked at it and then decided not to sign it. Domestic violence was a major part of my childhood and do not condone it.

If you don't agree with something, don't sign the petition. Great, speak your mind about it and move on. But where does it say if someone doesn't agree with something then the link should be deleted? I read through the code of conduct and I may have missed what part of the code this violated, but I didn't see a reason why this should have been deleted. Your house your rules, I get that. But as much as this forum preaches about maintaining our various freedoms, I really didn't expect this.
[/quote]I would like to know why it was deleted?
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1352920263' post='845602']
Because I am not going to support anything that improves the life of an abuser.

Hit the report button if you feel that strongly about it.

Dolomite
[/quote]It is you choice not to support that! But you are denying others their choice of supporting it, or not!
I didn't get a chance to check out the link before it was removed but I can't imagine anyone wanting to support this guy if he in fact plead guilty to DV. I support the decision by Dolomite on this one. It does say in the code of conduct that the staff has the final say so......

Not saying I agree with the views on the rights being stripped but I would not support anyone who plead guilty having their rights restored. Pleading innocent and being convicted is another story and I really don't know what I think about that scenario. Edited by maroonandwhite
Whether or not we agree with the subject, without him violating a specific rule, deleting the post on a board the encourages personal freedom and speaking for what you believe in is very disturbing to me. While I don't believe in the hurting or touching a woman in any violent or non consensual manner, I saw a lot of consensual sex get turned into rape cases if they got caught in the barracks when I was in. I have seen all to often how quickly a scorned woman can ruin a mans life and career when he did nothing wrong.
  • Like 3