Heirloom seeds and backyard garden

Just wondering, how many people here have planted heirloom seeds, even if in a small garden and during harvest recovered enough seeds for the following year?

I know allot of people are storing these heirloom seeds as part of their survival plan, but does everyone feel confident they would be able to produce a garden with them.
Also for those that have never had gardens, keep in mind that the seeds are not magic, they take time to grow before they produce.

Also during a survival situation any fertilizer is going to be a luxury item.

I know this is the wrong time of year but Next spring, I plan to plant a herb and vegetable garden from heirloom seeds.

I think other people that have a place should consider doing the same just for practice. I mean it has been since I was a kid I really worked in a garden and back then gardens where fields.

Now I only have a small place in my backyard, that I plan to expand over the winter to have ready for spring.

I am going to see how efficient I can get my small garden space, trying to plant things that work well together(yea I am sure that will work great for me.) Currently my garden is it only 4x8. I can probably make it 8x8 by spring.

I would almost say we should make this a challenge for people to see how many different kinds of herbs and vegetables they can grow.
  • Like 1
Think about it, if a person can't grow them now and produce a reasonable amount, they would have less success when push comes to shove.

I don't expect to be rolling in supply food with a small 8x8 garden but I expect to have some nice meals out of it.
http://www.permies.com/forums/c/5/

They have lots of info on permaculture and hugelkulture here. This will greatly increase your chances for a successful garden if watering were to become a little more difficult.

I am in the process of building raised beds to allow them time to fix the nitrogen cycle by the spring season.
[quote name='thundersnow' timestamp='1352909899' post='845477']
[url="http://www.permies.com/forums/c/5/"]http://www.permies.com/forums/c/5/[/url]

They have lots of info on permaculture and hugelkulture here. This will greatly increase your chances for a successful garden if watering were to become a little more difficult.

I am in the process of building raised beds to allow them time to fix the nitrogen cycle by the spring season.
[/quote]

That is what I have a raised bed. Planning to get an addition too it soon.
Great topic.

Actually, this is a great time to consider your backyard garden setup for next year.

Gardening has a learning curve indeed. It’s a lot more challenging than putting seeds in the ground, imho.

We do raised beds. Building the soil, in my opinion, it the most beneficial thing a person can do. We have a compost pile and also do direct composting into the beds at this time of year.
[b]Steve Solomon’s[/b] [url="http://www.amazon.com/Gardening-When-Counts-Growing-Mother/dp/086571553X"] Gardening When it Counts[/url] has been of immense value to us.
We do strictly “organic”…not because we’re dope smoking hippies, but simply because we consume enough chemicals through the processed foods we already eat.
We’ve learned to can and dehydrate our vegetables for storage, and use them with regularity.

It doesn’t take a lot of space to be fairly productive. I put up about 140 pints of tomatoes and 40 pints of asparagus beans from this past years garden, and due to the drought we had, it was more challenging than usual. We also eat out of the garden daily all summer long.

And we most definitely use heirloom seeds, and save our seeds from year to year.

Here’s a pic of our garden…I believe from 2011…but you get the idea.

[center]

Here’s a pic of our garden…I believe from 2011…but you get the idea.[/center]
[center][img]http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/Prag03/Garden%202011/16june2011Easttowestgardenview.jpg[/img][/center]

I tend to add a 4x4 or 4x8 bed each year. The size makes them easily manageable.

[center][img]http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/Prag03/Garden%202011/carrotsturnipsandgreensBNov2011003.jpg[/img]

[center][IMG]http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/Prag03/Garden%202011/asparagusbeans1Aug2011.jpg[/IMG][/center] Edited by prag
  • Like 1
Guest USMC 2013
Need fertilizer? Get chickens and/or rabbits! Perfect compliments to the garden. I highly recommend the DVD set called, "Backyard Groceries" by Marjory Wildcraft. It might be foubd under the name, "Backyard Food Production" depending on which production run you find. Great resource, full of more information than most can absorb in three viewings.

Start gardening now, or starve when it counts. Plus, you'll be healthier, stronger and save money on your grocery bill! Semper Fi,

Joe

[quote name='USMC 2013' timestamp='1353506594' post='849088']
Need fertilizer? Get chickens and/or rabbits! Perfect compliments to the garden. I highly recommend the DVD set called, "Backyard Groceries" by Marjory Wildcraft. It might be foubd under the name, "Backyard Food Production" depending on which production run you find. Great resource, full of more information than most can absorb in three viewings.

Start gardening now, or starve when it counts. Plus, you'll be healthier, stronger and save money on your grocery bill! Semper Fi,

Joe
[/quote]

:up: Joe!

[url=http://www.backyardfoodproduction.com/welcome]Majory Wildcrat's DVD[/url] is outstanding. The "bonus" DVD has tons of great info as well.

Edited by prag
  • 2 months later...
Guest GhostHunter

I plan on a backyard garden this year. I have an area beside my sundeck that is hard to get a mower into, and this is where I plan to "build" it. I plan on using timbers to landscape and potting soil on top of landscape fabric. Tomatoes, squash, herbs, etc.

Another idea if you don't have much room is to use 5 gallon buckets to grow potatoes.. When ready, just dump the dirt out of the bucket and there they are... No digging! Be sure to drill holes in the bottom or low on the sides to allow excess water to drain out. Tomatoes grow well in buckets.  Large flower planters work well. Know any cattle farmers? Those plastic tubs that mineral salts come in work great and they will probably give them away to get rid of them. The balck ones work best, as they are more UV resistant than the white ones. Brill a few 1/2" or larger holes in the bottom, put a layer of gravel in the bottom, add dirt or potting soil, and it's ready for planting when the weather is ready.

I raise a few chickens, and when I clean the coop, I keep the manure for fertilizer stored in covered 5 gal. buckets until needed...

Please take this with a grain of salt. There is a gardening rule that says "trust your past experiences."  This is some of mine. And A LOT of research. Your experiences may be different.

For me heirloom seed are excellent producers. Amazingly more so than mass produced gmo seeds. I only frow heirloom now. My squash for exampole. I was always proud of my squash. Nice big plants that made perfect big round umbrellas with good prduction of fruits. When i changed to Heirloom...The things shot tentacles out 6ft in all directions and made squash like you wouldn't believe. I had to pick everyday. Sometimes I would have upward of 100 squash on my counter. That was with 8 hills (24 plants).  If you're going to do heirloom be sure and read up. Different types of the same species will cross and that's not necessarily good.

Here is a good source for seeds...http://rareseeds.com/

Baker creek doesn't sell potatoes so here is a good place to get them...http://www.gurneys.com/heirloom-potatoes/c/362/

Potatoes are a little trickier. You have to buy disease free tubers or "seed" potatoes. But if you want to save them yourself this may not be best. The reason is potatoes are very susceptible to disease and they will eventually catch some sort of virus or disease. You will plant the diseased tubers and it will build up in your soil. This is why you shouldn't plant store bought potatoes. Only by seed potatoes. Look up TPS (true potato seed). Potatoes will actually make seeds and this will eliminate the disease problem. I am just learning this myself and don't have much more to offer.

I saw permaculture mentioned. That is my next venture. Fruit and nut trees are gonna be a big part... Here is a link to the only youtube channel you need to not only survive the current apocalypse but actually enjoy it. If you don't wanna survive don't listen to him. You'll get it after you watch a video or two. He also has some good biblical stuff in some of his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SustenanceNCovering?feature=g-high-c

The best thing you can do is read up and practice. Growing heirlooms is one thing. Saving the seeds is another. There is a wealth of info on the interwebz.

Edited by KaNuckles

Great topic.

Actually, this is a great time to consider your backyard garden setup for next year.

Gardening has a learning curve indeed. It’s a lot more challenging than putting seeds in the ground, imho.

We do raised beds. Building the soil, in my opinion, it the most beneficial thing a person can do. We have a compost pile and also do direct composting into the beds at this time of year.
Steve Solomon’s Gardening When it Counts has been of immense value to us.
We do strictly “organic”…not because we’re dope smoking hippies, but simply because we consume enough chemicals through the processed foods we already eat.
We’ve learned to can and dehydrate our vegetables for storage, and use them with regularity.

It doesn’t take a lot of space to be fairly productive. I put up about 140 pints of tomatoes and 40 pints of asparagus beans from this past years garden, and due to the drought we had, it was more challenging than usual. We also eat out of the garden daily all summer long.

And we most definitely use heirloom seeds, and save our seeds from year to year.

16june2011Easttowestgardenview.jpg

I tend to add a 4x4 or 4x8 bed each year. The size makes them easily manageable.

carrotsturnipsandgreensBNov2011003.jpg

[center]asparagusbeans1Aug2011.jpg

Very Nice. My beds are 3x12. Do you companion plant?

Please take this with a grain of salt. There is a gardening rule that says "trust your past experiences." This is some of mine. And A LOT of research. Your experiences may be different.

For me heirloom seed are excellent producers. Amazingly more so than mass produced gmo seeds. I only frow heirloom now. My squash for exampole. I was always proud of my squash. Nice big plants that made perfect big round umbrellas with good prduction of fruits. When i changed to Heirloom...The things shot tentacles out 6ft in all directions and made squash like you wouldn't believe. I had to pick everyday. Sometimes I would have upward of 100 squash on my counter. That was with 8 hills (24 plants). If you're going to do heirloom be sure and read up. Different types of the same species will cross and that's not necessarily good.

Here is a good source for seeds...http://rareseeds.com/

Baker creek doesn't sell potatoes so here is a good place to get them...http://www.gurneys.com/heirloom-potatoes/c/362/

Potatoes are a little trickier. You have to buy disease free tubers or "seed" potatoes. But if you want to save them yourself this may not be best. The reason is potatoes are very susceptible to disease and they will eventually catch some sort of virus or disease. You will plant the diseased tubers and it will build up in your soil. This is why you shouldn't plant store bought potatoes. Only by seed potatoes. Look up TPS (true potato seed). Potatoes will actually make seeds and this will eliminate the disease problem. I am just learning this myself and don't have much more to offer.

I saw permaculture mentioned. That is my next venture. Fruit and nut trees are gonna be a big part... Here is a link to the only youtube channel you need to not only survive the current apocalypse but actually enjoy it. If you don't wanna survive don't listen to him. You'll get it after you watch a video or two. He also has some good biblical stuff in some of his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SustenanceNCovering?feature=g-high-c

The best thing you can do is read up and practice. Growing heirlooms is one thing. Saving the seeds is another. There is a wealth of info on the interwebz.

I just ordered some seeds. I'm looking forward to planting this year. I recently got a tractor and some implements, and I can't wait to smell the fresh dirt being plowed. I'll start small this year, and I have a lot to learn.
  • Like 1

I just ordered some seeds. I'm looking forward to planting this year. I recently got a tractor and some implements, and I can't wait to smell the fresh dirt being plowed. I'll start small this year, and I have a lot to learn.

Start small this year huh? That's what I said last year, maybe a 8' X 8' raised bed garden? Pictured below is section one of three sections. Rule #1: When sitting on your tractor enjoying the day pulling your tiller along, leave the beer in the house, I tended to get carried away a bit. Two hundred potato hills, 300 linear yards of bush green beans, 42 tomato plants, 100 cabbages, six jalapeno plants, 100 linear yards od carrots, etc...

Never again! Have four years worth of vegtables canned and between the garden and canning, that's about all I could do last year.

I deal with Baker Creek every year, good people and excellent service.

I forgot to mention. Last year I had to go out and purchase 300 yards of garden hose to my nearest water spigot and use my tractor bucket to haul water to the further reaches of the garden.

LGGargen.jpg

I went out and purchased a Bolens front tine tiller and used it for my proposed 8' X 8' garden. After thirty minutes and 6 inches progress, came home with this in a couple of hours.

Kubota.jpg

Edited by Dennis1209

That's cool guys. I wish I could afford a tractor. I do at least have a rear tine tiller so it is self-propelled. Check into companion planting. I do a lot of stuff in raised beds. You cam cram a lot of stuff in a bed. I grow my corn on flat ground because of the space it takes. This year O am going to try planting my peas, green beans, and cucumbers in my corn and let them climb the stalks. Its a lot of fun to play around with stuff like that. Edited by KaNuckles

Start small this year huh? That's what I said last year, maybe a 8' X 8' raised bed garden? Pictured below is section one of three sections. Rule #1: When sitting on your tractor enjoying the day pulling your tiller along, leave the beer in the house, I tended to get carried away a bit. Two hundred potato hills, 300 linear yards of bush green beans, 42 tomato plants, 100 cabbages, six jalapeno plants, 100 linear yards od carrots, etc...

Never again! Have four years worth of vegtables canned and between the garden and canning, that's about all I could do last year.

I deal with Baker Creek every year, good people and excellent service.

I forgot to mention. Last year I had to go out and purchase 300 yards of garden hose to my nearest water spigot and use my tractor bucket to haul water to the further reaches of the garden.

LGGargen.jpg

I went out and purchased a Bolens front tine tiller and used it for my proposed 8' X 8' garden. After thirty minutes and 6 inches progress, came home with this in a couple of hours.

Kubota.jpg

Lol, I'm sure I'll end up plowing up way too much. Nice setup you have there.

I have a water source near the field I intend to use with a water pump. I'll have to rig up some irrigation... Maybe bury some flexible water line with sprinklers on tripods. Not sure yet. Depends on the water pressure I guess Edited by Batman

That's cool guys. I wish I could afford a tractor. I do at least have a rear tine tiller so it is self-propelled. Check into companion planting. I do a lot of stuff in raised beds. You cam cram a lot of stuff in a bed. I grow my corn on flat ground because of the space it takes. This year O am going to try planting my peas, green beans, and cucumbers in my corn and let them climb the stalks. Its a lot of fun to play around with stuff like that.

I just have an old Ford tractor. I'll definitely have to read up on companion planting, and I might do a raised bed closer to my house for herbs. That's a cool idea about using the corn stalks for a trellis.

Very Nice. My beds are 3x12. Do you companion plant?

Thank you.

Absolutely, as well as succession plant.

I've done the "Three Sisters" and grew the best butternut squash and beans ever....the corn...not so great.  :cool:

Many plant combination/companion arrangements help cut down on pests and really do assist or help each other. And with our limited space helps our production. We haven't used any pesticides for a few years now, just to see how we would do, and we've been pleasantly surprised. And setting up the beds in 3x4', to 4x4'  (to x12') really makes them easy to work.

This is a link to "a" guide, but I'm sure there are many other folks could suggest.

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

A few square feet or a couple of buckets like folks have suggested will get you started.

Be careful though...gardening is a "gateway drug" to prepping. :pleased:

• Like 1

Thank you.

Absolutely, as well as succession plant.

I've done the "Three Sisters" and grew the best butternut squash and beans ever....the corn...not so great.  :cool:

Many plant combination/companion arrangements help cut down on pests and really do assist or help each other. And with our limited space helps our production. We haven't used any pesticides for a few years now, just to see how we would do, and we've been pleasantly surprised. And setting up the beds in 3x4', to 4x4'  (to x12') really makes them easy to work.

This is a link to "a" guide, but I'm sure there are many other folks could suggest.

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

A few square feet or a couple of buckets like folks have suggested will get you started.

Be careful though...gardening is a "gateway drug" to prepping. :pleased:

That's a great link.  I have a 3 ring binder FULL of stuff i have printed on companions, seed saving, and just general info on each plant. looks like I'm gonna have to start another one. I've had several gardens but this is only my second year of raised beds/companion/heirloom plants. My move from Wal-mart seed to heirloom IS part of my prepping. I've been "into" prepping for a while but haven't really move on it. I guess the gardening thing is my first true prep. Chickens be next. I am gathering reclaimed material for a coop now. What happened to your corn btw?

• Like 1

Last year I started trying to garden completely organically, no gmo seeds, no chemicals. PITA. Learned a lot about what not to do. The pumpkins did great, but found that I started some seeds too late, and other's needed more attention that I had though. Need to get on it this year. There are a lot of things that are going to need to change...

The big thing I'm trying to do is be independent of power-driven machinery (electric/gas), that way I'm in that kind of practice. It's a lot more work, but if anything happens, tending to a garden with hand tools will be a more familiar thing to do.

This year, I'd also like to play with passive water collection and management if I have time. This way there is a ready supply of water in worse case scenarios, especially with the dryer part of summer.

• Like 1

Last year I started trying to garden completely organically, no gmo seeds, no chemicals. PITA. Learned a lot about what not to do. The pumpkins did great, but found that I started some seeds too late, and other's needed more attention that I had though. Need to get on it this year. There are a lot of things that are going to need to change...

The big thing I'm trying to do is be independent of power-driven machinery (electric/gas), that way I'm in that kind of practice. It's a lot more work, but if anything happens, tending to a garden with hand tools will be a more familiar thing to do.

This year, I'd also like to play with passive water collection and management if I have time. This way there is a ready supply of water in worse case scenarios, especially with the dryer part of summer.

It really is amazing how much better my heirloom seeds have done than the GMO crap. I was just thinking how nice it is that if i had to i could do everything i do now without any type of mechanical tool if necessary. Water is coming soon. i will probably start out with above ground barrels but eventually i want to put a couple of septic tanks in the ground and put the old-timey handpumps on top. 

• Like 1