Gore at it again.

hipower

[url="http://news.newsmax.com/?K64vXYGFXrFXL8qhFWezGja-nXgeNLvAK&http://www.newsmax.com/US/gore-obama-climate-change/2012/11/13/id/463977?s=al&promo_code=10B3A-1"][b]Gore to Obama: 'Put a Price on Carbon'[/b][/url]

When will this misbegotten, hipocritical son of Tennessee shut up? Edited by hipower
[quote name='Symbolic' timestamp='1352909218' post='845471']
He's fighting for what he believes is right. Isn't that what we've been taught to do? It's understandable that it gets annoying when people don't shut up about things. A carbon tax for big industries is probably a good thing in the end.
[/quote]BS...he's fighting for his investments.
  • Like 2
He's fighting for what he believes is right. Isn't that what we've been taught to do? It's understandable that it gets annoying when people don't shut up about things. A carbon tax for big industries is probably a good thing in the end.
[/quote]

You honestly believe that a carbon tax on industry, in a nation fueled by hydrocarbon products, is the awnser? Well...that's your opinion, not mine. No, I'm not aginst alternate fuel sources. I just don't see that taxing current industry in this manner is the awnser.

Government intervention in the field has worked so well so far hasn't it? Re: the Obama Solar Power company debacle.

[quote name='hipower' timestamp='1352909681' post='845476']
You honestly believe that a carbon tax on industry, in a nation fueled by hydrocarbon products, is the awnser?[/quote]

It's a great answer if you want the U.S. to look like Haiti or Somalia. :)

I love the potential of efficient/natural sources of energy and have been since high school (many, many years ago) but we are a long way from mass utilization...most of the "green energy" out there today provides a net loss of efficiency (i.e. uses, in total, more energy than is ultimately produced).

Guest drv2fst
[/quote]

I completely disagree on all points.

He is fighting for the [color=#008000]$$$[/color] that he is making as the champion of "Green". A carbon tax is the best path for him to profit from "Green".

I don't think it's a good thing in the end either. No matter how good the idea may be government will find a way to make it ineffective, prohibitive, and expensive. Almost all government programs end up doing the opposite of what they were intended to do.

Welfare was meant to reduce poverty and instead it encourages it and makes it a lifestyle that traps people for many generations.

"No Child Left Behind" was meant to improve education for all children but instead it lowered the quality of education to pathetic levels for everyone. Now the average student has no chance of getting a decent education in the public school system. Private schools are growing like crazy and public systems are moving towards segregation under the new name "magnet" schools.

Government investment in Solar Technology has hurt the industry because they gave all the money to "friends of the administration" and not people that actually have a chance to build a better product. People chase the money handed out by the government instead of chasing better solutions.

[quote name='gjohnsoniv' timestamp='1352910999' post='845491']
What a great way to make more business go overseas.
[/quote]Isn't that the point of much of this horse s**t anyway? Isn't it so "unfair" for the U.S. to have so much while much of the rest of the world has so little (even though they have so little because of their own actions)??? ;)

[quote]Now don't be to hard on Al... after all he did invent the internet![/quote]
I invented pants.
But seriously, even "green" technology is based on the use of fossil fuels. Take, for example, an electric car. Where does the electricity come from? In many areas it comes from plants that burn fossil fuels. "Green" technology is not "green", unless green represents money.
Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about Gore's legislation so I cannot say much about it. Politicians are motivated by profits so I'm always suspicious of them. They will say and do whatever it takes to get more money. What I do know is that carbon pollution is a real threat and it has real consequences. Coal, although not the only fuel, is cheap and plentiful and a great source of energy, but it is dirty. I think a carbon tax is a good thing because industries need to take responsibility for the damage they're causing with carbon pollution. I hope this isn't a bad exmaple: Your neighbor continuously waters his lawn so much that it floods yours. The water gets into your garage, your yard is mud, and your wife can't grow any flowers in the yard. Would you tell him to stop? Hopefully with the taxes collected from industrial pollution, we can fund projects and research to clean up this mess whether it concerns the industries, the land, or the people. However, with politicians that usually isn't the case. It seems like no one is truly for the people anymore. When I went to college, I didn't know what I wanted to do or study so I chose Environmental Science. The courses I took along with the research we conducted changed my view on people and life on this planet. While the work I do doesn't have anything to do with my degree, the lessons I learned still work on me.

Edited for grammar. Edited by Symbolic

[quote name='RobertNashville' timestamp='1352911121' post='845496']
Isn't that the point of much of this horse s**t anyway? Isn't it so "unfair" for the U.S. to have so much while much of the rest of the world has so little (even though they have so little because of their own actions)??? ;)
[/quote]I call BULL. That is no excuse. We got it by working, if they want it they can work.

[quote name='gjohnsoniv' timestamp='1352912516' post='845519']
I call BULL. That is no excuse. We got it by working, if they want it they can work.
[/quote]I think you misunderstand...I wasn't in any way saying that it [b][u][i]IS[/i][/u][/b] unfair for us to have what we have nor that we have an obligation to the rest of the world who are in their situation because of their own bad choices.

I was being sarcastic.

[quote name='RobertNashville' timestamp='1352911121' post='845496']
Isn't that the point of much of this horse s**t anyway? Isn't it so "unfair" for the U.S. to have so much while much of the rest of the world has so little (even though they have so little because of their own actions)??? ;)
[/quote]

Exactly. Just wait until the Chinese start sharing their pollution.

[quote name='UncleJak' timestamp='1352911323' post='845499']
I invented pants.
But seriously, even "green" technology is based on the use of fossil fuels. Take, for example, an electric car. Where does the electricity come from? In many areas it comes from plants that burn fossil fuels. "Green" technology is not "green", unless green represents money.
[/quote]

FTW! Saving the world will never be popular until it's profitable. Such is the world we live in.

• Like 1

[quote name='Symbolic' timestamp='1352912314' post='845512']
Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about Gore's legislation so I cannot say much about it. Politicians are motivated by profits so I'm always suspicious of them. They will say and do whatever it takes to get more money. What I do know is that carbon pollution is a real threat and it has real consequences. Coal, although not the only fuel, is cheap and plentiful and a great source of energy, but it is dirty. I think a carbon tax is a good thing because industries need to take responsibility for the damage they're causing with carbon pollution. I hope this isn't a bad exmaple: Your neighbor continuously waters his lawn so much that it floods yours. The water gets into your garage, your yard is mud, and your wife can't grow any flowers in the yard. Would you tell him to stop? Hopefully with the taxes collected from industrial pollution, we can fund projects and research to clean up this mess whether it concerns the industries, the land, or the people. However, with politicians that usually isn't the case. It seems like no one is truly for the people anymore. When I went to college, I didn't know what I wanted to do or study so I chose Environmental Science. The courses I took along with the research we conducted changed my view on people and life on this planet. While the work I do doesn't have anything to do with my degree, the lessons I learned still work on me.

Edited for grammar.
[/quote] You should start a new thread on this. You may find a lot of disagreement on your premise that it is good.
Please do. :D

Al Gore made the statement that he would be the first "carbon billionaire" His exchanges have gone out of business.
Green doesn't necessarily mean good.

Politicians are motivated by power. Profits are what comes from their legal inside trading. Politicians don't
give a hoot about profits, otherwise they would lower taxes. Al Gore is a politician/businessman, which is
dirtier than the coal you say is so dirty. We went through this crap about thirty years ago when the EPA
started requiring scrubbers on coal fired power plants. I don't know what benefit it was, but I know it caused
our electricity rates to go up. Coal is dirty? Okay. Dirt is, also. Environmental science, I'm sure, is a great degree to have, and I am not trashing it, but I do know there are a lot of politically motivated teachers
around these days. Think about the pure science you studied before you consider some of the applied
science that you were taught to be fact concerning pollution, the cause, and how it is dealt with by nature
and man before you say you "know" certain things in that endeavor. There are many differing views on
that subject and a lot of it is purely politically motivated, especially a lot of what is taught.

Al Gore has been a fraud his entire life and if you hear anything coming out of his mouth, stop listening.

Technology is taking care of coal fired power plants, if the damned government would let them stay around.
That industry has finally been regulated out of business. Watch out for your light bill!

Edited by 6.8 AR
[/quote]

No he isn't. Al is an a$$, but he isn't stupid. He is trying to create a market; a ponzi scheme if you will. He has found a pretty sllick way to get rich off the backs of stupid people. All he needs is a law passed, and he's in.

Did you see a couple of years back when the news reported that his average electricity bill at his one home in Brentwood was several thousand a month? Hypocrite?
[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1352938738' post='845774']
Did you see a couple of years back when the news reported that his average electricity bill at his one home in Brentwood was several thousand a month? Hypocrite?
[/quote]

Forget that, one trip in his private jet creates more pollution than 1,000 of the Prius' he tells everyone to buy, in their entire usable life
  • Like 2
What I think is funny about all the carbon crap is that the world famous green Toyota Prius hybrid won't go as far
as my BMW 535 on a gallon of gas on a closed course at a set speed. It has to mash the pedal too much while
the BMW literally idles. I'll bet my carbon tax would be ten times the Prius, though. The real comparison was
made with the 335, I think, but not a lot of difference. I get thirty plus mpg's on the highway and ride in some
damned good comfort, so I think I can say phooey to the green crowd.

[quote name='6.8 AR' timestamp='1352954677' post='845919']
What I think is funny about all the carbon crap is that the world famous green Toyota Prius hybrid won't go as far
as my BMW 535 on a gallon of gas on a closed course at a set speed. It has to mash the pedal too much while
the BMW literally idles. I'll bet my carbon tax would be ten times the Prius, though. The real comparison was
made with the 335, I think, but not a lot of difference. I get thirty plus mpg's on the highway and ride in some
damned good comfort, so I think I can say phooey to the green crowd.
[/quote]But that's not right! It's a Prius! There is no way a BMW is better! :panic: :panic: :panic:

I always have wondered how good for the environment are those batteries that only last a limited amount of time?